Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:01 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During my AD career, I was stationed in areas where we were under orders NOT to wear uniform off-base.

I have also been stationed in places where it was not advised, but you could if you wanted to. At the time, it was fairly common to see civilians harassing military personnel.
As have I. I was wearing the uniform when people on the street cursed me and called me a "babykiller." And I've been in places overseas when it was advised against it. I've taken commercial air when and where (during the 80s "euro-terrorism" period) when we were advised not to even carry our ID cards, but to travel on US passports.

If I was ever "uncomfortable" in uniform, it was only because other people deliberately made me uncomfortable--but it was certainly not the uniform that made me uncomfortable. Otherwise, I'd have stayed a civilian.

My grandfather was buried in his uniform, my father was buried in his uniform, and I'll be buried in my uniform.

Anyone made uncomfortable by the uniform itself should just take it off permanently, go to Sears, and buy a suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I guess some people just want to find something to get offended over.

It's not often I make stops before/after work off post. I don't really care for the attention because that's not what I'm doing it for.

Only privates out of basic and those trolling for discounts go around after duty in uniform.
But are you "uncomfortable" being seen in public in uniform?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:19 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But are you "uncomfortable" being seen in public in uniform?
Same goes for going to court. Often going to court for speeding tickets, etc is not related to being in the military (you're not representing the military in a military duty) yet folks do it trying to appeal to the judge's discretion.

Those that feel that they may not be appropriately representing the military, may elect to not wear their uniform. Airplanes are a good example. It's easier to fly not in uniform. Sure any service member could but they shouldn't accept an upgrade, can't she a drink, and usually have to answer more than a few questions throughout the airport and on the flight.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
I meant to answer the original question about memorial day with veteran's day. It seems more symbolic and reverend on veteran's day since there are more dedicated events and the public isn't awash with a over commercializing memorial day. Even the military starts the long holiday with safety messages and the start of 100-days of summer.

Veteran's day just seems more symbolic.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I have a friend who goes ballistic but I just take it with a grain of salt. No one I know means to be disrespectful. And it's a red number on the calendar so we can be glad for that!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Regarding wearing the uniform off-post. I wore it home then changed into civvies. While stationed at the Pentagon in the mid-70s, we rotated between uniforms and civvies periodically so there would not seem to be such a heavy military presence in the D.C. area as it made some civilians nervous; at least that's the reason we were given.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:01 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm not a Veteran, but my significant other and several people close to me are. But on their behalf, and out of respect for all vets, living and dead, I get really annoyed at the ignorant people who say "Happy Memorial Day."
I'm posting before I have read any of the responses. Happy memorial Day? I'm not sure what's happy about it. I don't have a problem with anyone who says "Happy Memorial Day". Maybe they have the day off and they're really happy.

Soldiers, all of them, defend the right, the opportunity, to go outside and burn a hot dog once in a while. Enjoy that freedom.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,535 times
Seems to be the wrong sentiment, and doesn't really apply to me anyways - I am not dead. Thinking they should save it for Veterans Day.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
OP: How do you feel about Labor Day? All The men who fought right here so you could have a job that they didnt pay you pennies for and you USED TO get Sat and Sun off or were paid additional money for your time.. Well that is until Faux News and The GOP Convienced the dummies they needed to work for peanuts so the Waltons and the Koch bros could be Billionaires..
BTW the Last WAR fought for our Freedom was WWII.. We lost Korean War didnt lose our freedom we didnt win in Vietnam or anywhere else really and we are still free... BTW what did happen was a few people and a few companies made Trillions of dollars..

Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 484 times
When someone says “Happy Memorial Day!” to me, I reply, “Enjoy it, almost 1,300,000 million people have died on the battle field so that you can.”

Semper Fi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues