U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 07:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,826,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicjunk View Post
When someone says “Happy Memorial Day!” to me, I reply, “Enjoy it, almost 1,300,000 million people have died on the battle field so that you can.”

Semper Fi
good response...……...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM

8,960 posts, read 7,048,622 times
I can only reiterate what I posted in the "Applause for Taps" thread:

"Every where you go, you will encounter foolish, unknowing people. Ignore them.
Not that it matters, and just so you know where my thinking comes from, I am a Viet Nam veteran, and a military retiree."

IMO, it applies here, as well.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:36 PM

13,357 posts, read 42,613,919 times
I was thinking about this recently. Several veterans on my hall at work. I couldn't come up with a suitable greeting to offer, so I just shut my trap and went about my business.

The people being honored on Memorial Day won't or can't hear whatever I might have said anyway. It's about the dead, not the living. As I understand it.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent, and risk appearing to be a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,470,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I was thinking about this recently. Several veterans on my hall at work. I couldn't come up with a suitable greeting to offer, so I just shut my trap and went about my business.

The people being honored on Memorial Day won't or can't hear whatever I might have said anyway. It's about the dead, not the living. As I understand it.

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent, and risk appearing to be a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."
M3 Great answer and post. As a veteran when someone wishes me a happy Memorial Day, I smile graciously and thank them. I let it ride like that unless they wish to carry it further. When that happens I tell them I think of the 5 of my friends who died while on active duty. The first of those on the highway between Yakima and Ft Lewis Washington. The last one run over by a fork truck the day before he was to come home from Iraq. I hope that their families have found solace and peace of mind.

I don't mind some civilian wishing me a happy day anytime. It wasn't all that long ago I was invisible even in uniform. I wore my uniform full time for 38 years of my life. 29 of those years as a National Guardsman in my community yet until 9/11/01 I never got the time of day from a civilian. After that it became very fashionable. My first thank you was at a gas station on my way home. A gentleman came out of his way to thank me for my service. I was speechless.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:32 PM

13,357 posts, read 42,613,919 times
So, is there any suitable greeting to acknowledge a veteran on Memorial Day?

It's funny to me because I think in Russian something like "I congratulate you on Memorial Day" would, I think, be quite acceptable. The Russian word I am translating as "congratulate" does not mean exactly the same thing as "congratulate" in English. In Russia it's quite normal to commemorate the anniversary of family member's deaths - commemorate, not celebrate. (My wife is Russian, I have worked over there a bit, and have studied the language since 1995, reason I mention this. It seems more common as time goes on I can say certain things better in Russian, or maybe I am just having a senior moment?)

Glad to know that simply not mentioning it is at least an acceptable approach. Maybe just pin on a poppy if you can get one, and let it go at that.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:39 AM

24,085 posts, read 38,771,760 times
https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp

Q. What is the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day?

A. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALLthose who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

Q. Why are red poppies worn on Veterans Day, and where can I obtain them?

A. The wearing of poppies in honor of America's war dead is traditionally done on Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. The practice of wearing of poppies takes its origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, written in 1915 by John McCrae. For information on how to obtain poppies for use on Memorial Day, contact a veterans service organization, such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) or The American Legion, as a number of veterans organizations distribute poppies annually on Memorial Day. You can find veterans groups in the Veterans Service Organization link on VA's Veterans Day web page. Veterans groups in your area can be found in your local phone book. Look in the yellow pages under "Veterans and Military Organizations" or a similar heading.

And:

"Don't Say 'Thank You For Your Service' This Monday"
May 28, 20175:03 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/28/53050...-dos-and-donts

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-02-2018 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 AM

31,333 posts, read 18,362,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracysherm View Post
I'm not a Veteran, but my significant other and several people close to me are. But on their behalf, and out of respect for all vets, living and dead, I get really annoyed at the ignorant people who say "Happy Memorial Day."
I am not a Veteran either, but I think most people meant well.

My veteran friends (overwhelming majority of them) know the civilians mean well. I don't think about the ones I lost on that day alone, they have never left my mind and they never will. But I think they want me to live a fulfilling happy life. On Memorial day, I normally call my veteran friends and tell them, "I will take you out, let's drink, party and have some fun." That is how we want to remember our friends and celebrate their lives. We want to remember how they lived.

This said, I don't say "Happy Memorial day" to veterans I don't know. I think certain boundaries need to be respected. Everybody grieves differently, and everybody has a different idea what is offensive, what is not.

add: For me, the most difficult days are their birthdays, holidays like Christmas.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-02-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 06-03-2018, 09:33 AM

10,304 posts, read 7,428,054 times
Wait. Are they flying the enemy flag with a gleam in their eye when they say it? If not I have no problem with it.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:41 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,408,414 times
Not a fan of the terminology, but at least they are thinking about it. I just don't want to be thanked for my service on Memorial Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues