U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 PM

9,204 posts, read 17,476,073 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Veteran, but my significant other and several people close to me are. But on their behalf, and out of respect for all vets, living and dead, I get really annoyed at the ignorant people who say "Happy Memorial Day."

It started Friday when we learned we were getting out early for the 3-day weekend. Many co-workers were cheering and talking about parties over the weekend. They were saying "Happy Memorial Day" in e-mails and verbally. To a few of these people (not all of them) I pointed out that there is a real meaning behind the day, to remember those who risked and gave their lives for our freedom and our nation. It's not a day that you would attach "Happy" to. Maybe "reverent" or "solemn" or "grateful" but not "happy." I know, I'm probably raining on their parade, but shouldn't it be rained on a little?

Then all weekend long I saw tons of facebook posts from my "friends" saying "Happy Memorial Day." I did not comment since I have a personal rule about not starting or getting pulled into arguments on facebook. But I was dying to educate these idiots and post links about the real reason behind their drinking, grilling, partying holiday. To me saying "Happy Memorial Day" is like saying "Congratulations on your Grandma's Death."

Hooray! Yeah! People died for us! Whoo-hoo let's party! Uh, no.

My only exception is that if an actual combat veteran decides to celebrate Memorial Day as a "happy" day to celebrate, I will not argue but would totally respect that. They've earned it.

Do you Veterans get offended or at least annoyed when people say "Happy Memorial Day"? I've asked the vets I know in person, and they agreed with me (though they had the dignity, strength and self-respect to not tell the people off). But other people I talked to had no idea why I was "making such a big deal." Am I over-reacting by being upset by this, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM

4,941 posts, read 5,767,590 times
Yes, I notice but chalk it up to their not knowing better. and we are in the growing thumbs age. so who knows what is lost.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM

3,757 posts, read 1,662,568 times
to me its akin to dancing on someones grave........but to me its very personal.......All my family members for three generations served,fought and some died.I have lost many friends also.......
I usually sit somewhere peaceful in silence........listen to "taps".........and REMEMBER them.........

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,823,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
...or "solemn" or "grateful" but not "happy." I know, I'm probably raining on their parade, but shouldn't it be rained on a little?
I like this. I never thought about your question or using the word solemn, but your explanation makes sense and is persuasive to me.

So, you taught me something.

Quote:
Then all weekend long I saw tons of facebook posts from my "friends" saying "Happy Memorial Day." I did not comment since I have a personal rule about not starting or getting pulled into arguments on facebook. But I was dying to educate these idiots and post links about the real reason behind their drinking, grilling, partying holiday. To me saying "Happy Memorial Day" is like saying "Congratulations on your Grandma's Death."

Hooray! Yeah! People died for us! Whoo-hoo let's party! Uh, no.

My only exception is that if an actual combat veteran decides to celebrate Memorial Day as a "happy" day to celebrate, I will not argue but would totally respect that. They've earned it.

Do you Veterans get offended or at least annoyed when people say "Happy Memorial Day"? I've asked the vets I know in person, and they agreed with me (though they had the dignity, strength and self-respect to not tell the people off). But other people I talked to had no idea why I was "making such a big deal." Am I over-reacting by being upset by this, in your opinion?
I was awarded ribbons and medals for Southwest Asia. For Desert Storm. But your whole inquiry and critique never occurred to me.

I think your basic proposition is correct and persuasive. But I think you may be overreacting if you are getting too upset over it. Or maybe not. I dunno. People have different experiences and history. I imagine the surviving lovers, family, and friends of the U.S. Civil War, as bloody and destructive as it was, would have a more solemn approach and reaction to a day memorializing their lost lovers, sons, brothers, and so on.

I think people that say "Happy Memorial Day" mean well. If nothing else they mean it well as a holiday greeting. Another holiday for them. And they see it as another holiday for others.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM

11,931 posts, read 11,432,465 times
I think it is ridiculous, along with the numerous "Memorial Day sales" that pop up everywhere; as if dead soldiers/sailors (anyone) are something to enjoy and celebrate.

"hey, let us all celebrate people being dead, come buy a mattress on sale!"

I think many poeple just view it as a day off; kind of like how Christmas has evolved not to mean anything about Jesus's birth, but to get presents; Easter means colored eggs and candy.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:57 AM

23,609 posts, read 29,593,936 times
As a combat veteran, the father, son, grandson and nephew of other combat veterans it doesn't really bother me in the least. "Cluelessness" seems to be a common affliction and many use the term with the best of intentions, not having even the germ of a thought that it really is inappropriate. There are more burning issues in life and this one I gladly just let flow on by. It's almost natural that those who don't have a military background personally or in their family would think 3-day weekend and party time - sad but not surprising. Memories seem to get shorter all the time unless about self.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,384,836 times
I'm not a combat veteran, but as a former honor guard member I have attended several military funerals so I understand the somberness.

However, I do not have a problem with someone wishing me a "Happy Memorial Day". In fact, I consider myself fortunate that my last Monday in May can be "happy", complete with beer and brats and a bargain on a mattress, because of the sacrifices of those we remember on that day.

It seems like Happy Memorial Day rolls off the tongue easier than other more reflective salutations. I doubt that the greeter is any more insistent on my day actually being "happy" than they are expecting me to be frolicking in merriment when they wish me a Merry Christmas.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM

5,197 posts, read 5,779,393 times
Splitting the thought......

People live a very shallow existance in the modern world. They don't think about half of the things which they say and do. There is nothing provocatively thoughtful about thier words or actions. To their simple existanve, "Happy Memorial Day' is no different than Happy Easter or Happy Thanksgiving. They don't give measure to the event...just the fact that it is a day off from work (to go shopping).

I am Viet Nam vet. My era was looked upon as the most vile human beings possible. Anyone who served their country during that period was shouted at, spit on, assaulted, demonstrated against and burned in effigy. Out specific instructions were to NOT wear the unifrom when we went out into the civilian world.

"Happy Memorial Day", however illogocal, sounds a lot better to me.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM

9,204 posts, read 17,476,073 times
Thanks for your input, and THANK YOU for your service!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM

29,138 posts, read 46,232,452 times
It kind of bugs me.

I know many vets who walk in a parade, then get drunk and BBQ. So it has taken on a possible meaning of partying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues