U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM

628 posts, read 1,042,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
If your aim is to design new military technologies and weapons: 1) get a degree and work for a think-tank, 2) get a degree and work for one of the belt-way bandits, or 3) join the military and hope to get a military job dealing with R&D so when you retire/separate, you can join one of the think-tanks or belt-way bandits.

Military R&D are funded by DOD, but not necessarily "home-grown". A lot of military weapon systems and technological advancements are "out-sourced" to corporations; DOD still retains product oversight.
Thanks so much for the advice, tmoua1! I'm actually considering Developmental Engineer, Scientist, and Aircraft Metals Technology as some of the jobs I've learned of so far, I'm still looking though, because I have this undeniable desire to take things apart (including biological things), learn how they work, and then take the parts from different things and mash them together to create something new! ^_^

People don't seem to understand that science simply means the pursuit of knowledge and that everything is connected, from art to the humanities to biology, technology, electronics, astrology, and mechanics. This world as we know it does not simply function on one area or thing alone, it is many things all connected, all working together like giant cog gear wheels in a giant machine that is this world!

The electrons that moves along the muscles dance like a symphony composed by Mozart!

It's all so beautiful and wonderful!~ ^.^

But like I was saying, as long as I get to CREATE something and learn I'm good.

So many fields, so high-up, but where to start?

As for what to do during a base attack: wouldn't the base be easily wiped out if all communications and all jobs were abandoned to run out guns blazing? I'm didn't mean you couldn't fight during an invasion, but to abandon your job especially if it's something vital in a situation like this like "I don't know..." maintaining communications so those fighting will know where the enemy is coming from, seems like a really stupid idea.

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 06-19-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM

14,562 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
...Although to clarify this: most jobs in the Air Force, unless you choose a field like security or special ops, are focused on other tasks than direct-combat. Jobs like the fighter jet pilots are obvious exceptions, but even they do not often directly engage in direct combat: they fire upon the enemy using powerful missiles and other weapon systems built into their fighter jet. The Air Force is not infantry that is not their primary goal, their primary goal is the skies hence the name "Air" Force.
Too much Top Gun in that post. I did that job, fighter pilot, for over 20 years. And, yes, I did carry missiles for both air-to-air and air-to-surface attacks. But I also carried laser-guided, inertially-aided and just plain freefall bombs. And fired the cannon. That is a personal, in-your-face, the-whites-of-their-eyes weapon. It's as direct combat as there ever was, especially if it involves taking down an Iraqi anti-aircraft site that's trying to take you down or a bunch of surges bent on making life miserable for a Canadian convoy. It's not pretty, it's the direct application of violence with the goal of meeting national objectives and saving Americans from Iowa or our allies from having to do the same, and all not interested should stay away.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 06-19-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,394,862 times
Quote:
As for what to do during a base attack: wouldn't the base be easily wiped out if all communications and all jobs were abandoned to run out guns blazing? I'm didn't mean you couldn't fight during an invasion, but to abandon your job especially if it's something vital in a situation like this like "I don't know..." maintaining communications so those fighting will know where the enemy is coming from, seems like really stupid idea.
That's your inexperience showing. There are officers and NCOs to manage the fight, and you're not welcome to that club until you earn it through time and good decisions.

The troops, of which you will be one for the first several years, will be doing the fighting, all hands on deck, if it came to that. Your maintenance job can probably wait if there's a perimeter breach. Your maintenance job can also wait if someone needs to pull guard duty and your name's up.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
That's your inexperience showing. There are officers and NCOs to manage the fight, and you're not welcome to that club until you earn it through time and good decisions.

The troops, of which you will be one for the first several years, will be doing the fighting, all hands on deck, if it came to that. Your maintenance job can probably wait if there's a perimeter breach. Your maintenance job can also wait if someone needs to pull guard duty and your name's up.
Yeah, I just meant that someone has to still be doing the important things, besides fighting, while all this fighting is going on otherwise the Air Force would be at a sever disadvantage during an invasion or attack.

Also on maintenance: while I agree it's a very important part of any kind of operation anywhere, it's not enough for me. I'm not satisfied with just maintaining the status-quo, I want to CREATE something new!~ Go new places where science has barely touched or never been before, analyze new data, and learn new knowledge from unraveling the secrets of this universe!~ ^_^

Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM

142 posts, read 552,709 times
If you enjoy science and technology, go to college and finish your degree. Afterwards, decide whether you want to join the military (enlisted or commissioned, up to you) or pursue a career in corporate america. In the former, you're hoping to land a job within your "area of expertise". In the latter, you're only problem is having the necessary qualifications to get hired in your "are of expertise".

Quote:
As for what to do during a base attack: wouldn't the base be easily wiped out if all communications and all jobs were abandoned to run out guns blazing? I'm didn't mean you couldn't fight during an invasion, but to abandon your job especially if it's something vital in a situation like this like "I don't know..." maintaining communications so those fighting will know where the enemy is coming from, seems like really stupid idea.
As for the question of defending a base, there are many, many, many, many possible scenarios. To address your particular scenario of communications... Yes, communication is paramount to maintain positive command and control, especially during combat operations. But the initial defensive action is force protection - that means all-hands for the preservation of life and to subdue the enemy. Once the AOR has been secured or positive security has been achieved, restoration of communication (if lost) will commence at 10000%, AFTER 100% personnel accountability.

To rely only on the latest and greatest means to communicate during an attack is a very big folly. That's why morse-code, smoke-signals, hand-and-arms signals, and runners are and will continue to be used to relay messages until the end of time. Not trying to pick-a-fight here. That's how the military works.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM

14,562 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
...Of course, every military personal is trained and prepped for basic combat in case a situation should arise, with the obvious exception of Chaplin who is not even allowed to carry a weapon although I am not sure if they must go through basic combat training as well but not allowed to fight after the training.

However should a base come under attack, if you grab a weapon and fire upon the enemy when your job is the vital task of maintaining electronic communications you will be, needless to say, reprimanded pretty harshly. Duh. Try not to let your bravado overpower your brain....
If the base comes under attack, everyone is to help repel the attack, not just the SFs. The harsh reprimand comes not from defending the attack and performing aid if needed to injured fellow servicemembers, but from working on one's job during an attack.

This thread reminds me of a post started by an individual wanting to be a TACP a few weeks back. Highly unrealistic expectations from someone who wanted time to himself after work for Playstation or XBox. He thought the Air Force was a 9 to 5 job, Monday through Friday. The number of 9-5 days I worked in the USAF over a 28-year career... can't think of any. There MIGHT have been one or two somewhere as a lieutenant...

There is something called The Needs of the Air Force. You go where you're needed. And as a junior enlisted you have zero say in just about everything. (As a junior officer I had pretty much zero say as well.) You work when needed, go TDY when they want you to, and if you balk, life gets difficult, first from your peers and then from the first shirt or commander. I was a commander before retiring, and had a couple of "Oh, I can't deploy to XXX because my kid's got his first soccer game in October." Again, as I stated earlier, that mindset need not apply.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
If you enjoy science and technology, go to college and finish your degree. Afterwards, decide whether you want to join the military (enlisted or commissioned, up to you) or pursue a career in corporate america. In the former, you're hoping to land a job within your "area of expertise". In the latter, you're only problem is having the necessary qualifications to get hired in your "are of expertise".

As for the question of defending a base, there are many, many, many, many possible scenarios. To address your particular scenario of communications... Yes, communication is paramount to maintain positive command and control, especially during combat operations. But the initial defensive action is force protection - that means all-hands for the preservation of life and to subdue the enemy. Once the AOR has been secured or positive security has been achieved, restoration of communication (if lost) will commence at 10000%, AFTER 100% personnel accountability.

To rely only on the latest and greatest means to communicate during an attack is a very big folly. That's why morse-code, smoke-signals, hand-and-arms signals, and runners are and will continue to be used to relay messages until the end of time. Not trying to pick-a-fight here. That's how the military works.
Going to college: oh if only it were that easy. In this state of overpriced education and an economy riddled with holes to make it look like swiss-cheese due to the sheer amount of people who either didn't think ahead of time or just didn't care that took out countless loans and put everything on credit, I hope it's no wonder why I chose not to go down the same road they did. Put quite simply: I do not have the amount of money required for the ridiculous prices charged by higher-education facilities.

As for using old "tried and true" communication technology: Not necessarily, the latest breakthroughs in technology have made communication more vital and more beneficial than ever and as for attacks on the communications aspect itself we now have many counter-measures for such things, such as for attacks on our cyber systems we now have Cyber Surety!

Sure we can use the old ways of communicating as well, but why should we abandon our new breakthroughs in technologies and communications as soon as "the going the gets hot"?

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 06-19-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
This thread reminds me of a post started by an individual wanting to be a TACP a few weeks back. Highly unrealistic expectations from someone who wanted time to himself after work for Playstation or XBox. He thought the Air Force was a 9 to 5 job, Monday through Friday.
Don't the bad-guys work 9-5, Mon - Fri?

Last edited by tmoua1; 06-19-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, the latest breakthroughs in technology have made communication more vital and more beneficial than ever and as for attacks on the communications aspect itself we now have many counter-measures for such things, such as for attacks on our cyber systems we now have Cyber Surety!
Software is no good when the hardware get's destroyed - towers, transmitters, receivers, hard-lines.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Software is no good when the hardware get's destroyed - towers, transmitters, receivers, hard-lines.
True, but don't we have counter-measures for just about anything?

What good is a military base designed for combat and intelligence, when they can't even maintain their systems while under attack and lose their "intelligence" leaving them only with "combat"?

Why can't we be warriors and tacticians/messengers/scouts all rolled into one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues