U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 PM

691 posts, read 756,035 times

Advertisements

Not sure what field you should pick.As someone said you could be an airplane mechanic which would transfer when you get out into civilian life working for an commercial airline or some other such job.Don't jump all over the map.Look at the jobs and think where they can lead you on down the road.

My late father was a flight crew chief and airplane mechanic during World War 2.When the war came he had a deferment since he was working at Briggs and Stratton in Milwaukee;but told his father he was going in anyhow.
later he got invovled in intelligence when he was in Italy and got recruited to spy on Tito's partisans.Daddy went to IBM school and worked with computers in intel.He was awarded the Meritorious Service Medical for designing the Alaskan Command Intelligence Fusion Center and the Alaskan Command Resource Management Sytem.
And yes as Tomoua1 says'they do indeed do background checks on you and your spouse if you have one. My dad had top secret and crypto clearences.He knew a guy that worked that divison.Daddy asked him about their background checks.Was told a couple of things my mom had said about her side were wrong;but you know that happens with every family.As far as daddy went;he was told that some of his relatives in Germany had been for Hitler and some against Hitler. That certainly didn't affect him in getting his clearance. This was sometime in the 1950s before I was born in 1956;not that long after WW2 was over.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:32 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,052,554 times
OP,
You have some things going for you, I'll give you that, the way things are in terms of cut backs and the economy and such the recruiting stations are only taking a very close look at their blue chip recruits, almost like colleges look at the best qualified candidates to enter into their programs. The one thing to me that sticks out about you is that you list everything you have going for you but are a little too light in the research department, Research you're future career very wisely and then get back to us on your future MOS instead of coming here and asking us?

Think of it this way,

Lets say we're retired Quite Professionals, and you come on our sight to ask a few questions, do you know what type of answer you would get? especially during WAR time? I've seen many of recruits eaten alive for not knowing that every answer they seek is in the RESEARCH and not in THE debate, do you understand? now get busy doing research on your own and get back to us with your chosen career path, and don't talk Carbines (MWS) M-4 unless youre ready to go bang bang 11 Infantry, (option 4) or (option 40) Silver Airborne Wings, SFAS, and two year Q course. OK recruit, carry on..

Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM

10,403 posts, read 7,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Any update on this thread?

Sorry, but Colors seems really annoying to me and I would be surprised to hear that he is now a SERE instructor.
His last post was December.
But for anyone choosing an AF career, remember the AF exists to fly planes. Broadcast journalism was wide open a few years back...

Old 05-17-2014, 05:03 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,396,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
His last post was December.
But for anyone choosing an AF career, remember the AF exists to fly planes. Broadcast journalism was wide open a few years back...
Nature Protection and Liberal Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I was briefly in the U.S.A. Navy for 2 months in Basic Recruit Training before being administratively discharged based upon a technicality.~

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-25-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 PM

14,570 posts, read 6,705,878 times
The "technicality" appears to have been failure to conform to training standards, although that's not what he wrote in his posts; not unexpected, I went around and around with him in a couple of posts regarding JTACs and military discipline in general. Based on his comments, as a commander I would have eaten him alive, except most first sergeants would have left me nothing but bones and hair.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM

307 posts, read 451,399 times
Default Signing up for the Air Force, Need help choosing a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I'm signing up for the Air Force, originally I was going to sign up for the Coast Guard, but I recently heard from them that they have already achieved their "Mission Accomplished" and that from now on it would be hard to get into the Coast Guard.

I already have my GED and my Associate's of Arts in Liberal Arts college degree, but I've been studying for the ASVAB test for awhile now as I believe you can never be over-prepared.

The problem is, there are a lot of jobs to choose from and I have no idea what I am going to do.

In college and in anything, I excel at all subjects, I just find everything fascinating from biotechnology, biology, chemistry, geology, business math, to art, dance, physiology, psychology, philosophy, sociology, history, civil rights, and music. That's why I chose Liberal Arts, I could dabble in everything in the Arts and Humanities fields, but I could have easily gone with Liberal Sciences.

I am 22 years old, single, have no debts, no loans, no credit debts, no financial burdens, no convictions, no felonies, physically fit, mentally sharp, and nothing holding me back.

At first, I wanted to join as going into the field of SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) Expert Instructor in the Air Force, but after reading more about the actual training and considering the actual job, I am worried than my daily job will be to simulate an enemy environment that my students are expected to try and escape from, which means I might be inflicting pain on people on an almost daily basis.

I can handle the training part, but I don't want to be inflicting pain on someone on an almost regular basis, that's not what I singed-up for.

So I need some help finding out of 1,000s of jobs in the Air Force the right Air Force job for me.

Even though I am very flexible, I'm only good at something if I find it interesting. Monotonous repetitive boring tasks that never have any variation to them tend to lose my focus really fast. Push-ups, sit-ups, and exercising don't count as much because they accomplish the purpose of making me stronger, but even them I like to create my own variation of them, like instead of doing 1 kind of standard push-up, I do 50 push-ups for 3 different kinds of push-ups each.

I don't mind boring tasks if they are a part of my job, but not if they are the focus of my job. Administration, inventory, and anything office-focused I am absolutely terrible at. Not because my typing or other office-related skills are terrible, but because with these kinds of jobs I tend to really lose focus really fast.

I'm not going back to college any time soon within the next 5 years, I'm done with college right now and have no plans of going back to it any time soon. Although I don't mind going to technical school for my chosen job.

I like to work with my hands, I like working physically and getting a good work out, I don't like sitting all day, I don't mind getting dirty and messy in fact I like it!, I like the outdoors, I love nature, I also love technology and science, I like everything boat related and ocean related, I love the arts, I love art, I love music, I love dancing, I like showmanship, I don't like competition when it's not for fun, I don't really care about money in comparison to getting a job that I love to wake-up every day doing,

I don't mind fighting and combat but I don't want that to be the focus of my job, when it comes to mother nature I believe the best we as a species can do is to live and let live interfering only makes things worse, I like being challenged and I like becoming stronger mentally and physically other people hate pain I like pain because whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger, and it would be nice to have some practicality in my job since what's the point of being an electrical engineer when you have no idea what to do during a complete black-out?

Thank you for any help and any advice you can give!~ ^_^
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll do my best. I was a SERE instructor in the Army (yes, the Army has them too! And the Navy). We had, not only Army folks go through the training...we trained members of other services as well, including medics, clerks, pilots, aircrew, the Guard and Reserve (because we had the only POW training camp on the island...convenient to all other branches of service on the island). Yes, myself and my team played OPFOR...had our own uniforms and insignias and spoke languages other than English. We were all linguists. Myself, French, Spanish, Tagalog and Chinese-Mandarin. I am not sure if the AF requires SERE instructors to be proficient in at least a foreign language. Perhaps so, because when I attended DLI for French and Chinese-Mandarin, there were a lot of AF guys also taking language courses. Anyway, our MOS required proficiency in at least a foreign language.
Don't worry about hurting anyone. It is all simulated. It may cause the trainee undergoing SERE to perceive pain...but no blood is ever shed...not even a scratch. If the trainee gets hurt...it would have to be on his or her doing. Yes, we make them feel highly distressed (how else can they experience being a POW if they're relaxed and having fun?), torture them (again, simulated!) if needed. We do a lot of psychological tormenting. They're fed regularly (although not exactly gourmet)...allowed to play sports, and if they behave, they're even treated leniently. Accommodations are Spartan, naturally. They go through daily indoctrination by our supreme leader, the Bulgarian...and we do small-group pep talks as often as we could. And we do a lot of interrogation. The training is only for a few days. And we hope that some of them attempt to Escape. That's the last letter in the acronym SERE.
We, the OPFOR players running the POW camp...must also go through the POW/SERE training ourselves! I have done SERE training in Hawaii and at Fort Bragg, NC. AF and Navy have their own SERE training centers in the U.S. Not sure if they have SERE training overseas.

If you get easily bored (as I did) with office work...SERE would be fun to be in. It has been many years ago when I was involved in SERE...perhaps much has changed...but the principle and objectives behind SERE training remains the same: Help servicemembers Survive, Evade, Resist and Escape being captured or at least survive POW camp. Talk to your AF recruiter some more...and learn as much as they will reveal...about SERE.
Check out S.E.R.E. in Wikepedia...and others. Learn as much about the subject as you can. I didn't. I just went from being a company clerk one day...to Airborne training the next...and before I knew it (because I was already proficient in a couple of languages..and had a university degree)...I found myself in the intel field...and then into the SERE training business. I was enlisted all throughout my military service. I didn't want to be an officer...enlisted folks seem to have more fun. Promotions were fast, too, in the intel field.
Good luck...

Last edited by FCStraight; 05-25-2014 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos/delete a line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues