Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:39 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
OP, this statement is completely true.

SERE instructor may be a very rewarding experience/career, teaching members of the armed forces about survival, evasion, resistance, and escape. However, are you prepared to go through the course yourself? You have to experience it before you can teach it. You can't "instruct" a student to eat a coal when they have diarrhea, or to eat a grass-hopper for protein, if won't eat them yourself.

It always seemed strange to me that SERE instruction is a separate career field in the Air Force that first-term airman are eligible for. From what I understand, they don't deploy themselves and so have never had to experience nor will they ever experience the dangers they are teaching pilots, PJs, airborne personell to survive/evade. Even stranger is they get their own beret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
OP, this statement is completely true.

SERE instructor may be a very rewarding experience/career, teaching members of the armed forces about survival, evasion, resistance, and escape. However, are you prepared to go through the course yourself? You have to experience it before you can teach it. You can't "instruct" a student to eat a coal when they have diarrhea, or to eat a grass-hopper for protein, if won't eat them yourself.
Actually, there are two reasons I want to be a SERE Instructor: the first is to be trained in the most comprehensive survival training known: I WANT to experience that, other people may not like the idea of eating roots straight from the dirt or being beaten up in a mock enemy torture camp, but that all sounds so wonderful to me!~ ^_^

The second reason is after I have earned the right to be called a teacher in this field, I will teach it to others so that they may experience it and learn this knowledge as well!~ ^_^

This is the knowledge and the experience I have been craving all my life, a majority of Humanity has grown weak, lazy, soft, and worst of all ignorant: boys and girls never learn how to live like men or women, they do not know how to hunt, how to make food, how to find water, how to build shelter, how to make clothes to keep warm, how to fight, they do not know how to take care of others and not even themselves: they do not know how to live.

If our species continues this way with the majority of the population never being taught how to live when their technology and society fails them, then the future of our species may not even exist, if we continue to live as a species of children, the smallest catastrophy may scatter us all and even nearly wipe us out.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Actually, there are two reasons I want to be a SERE Instructor: the first is to be trained in the most comprehensive survival training known: I WANT to experience that, other people may not like the idea of eating roots straight from the dirt or being beaten up in a mock enemy torture camp, but that all sounds so wonderful to me!~ ^_^
If you really want that, I recommend you seriously look at enlisting as a SEAL candidate or an Army 18X (Special Forces candidate).

Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If you really want that, I recommend you seriously look at enlisting as a SEAL candidate or an Army 18X (Special Forces candidate).
Sorry, I haven't replied in a while because I was logged out and I when I tried to log back in I forgot my password. xD

Believe me, if I wanted to go special forces of that sort I would. I was in the Young Marines at the age of 12 and graduated a class above my peers as Private First Class for my outstanding physical performance during boot camp. I've always loved being as much physical as I am mentally fit. I'm pretty confident that I could do the same again with basic Air Force Training.

I know what Marines, Navy Seals, Green Berets, and other special forces like that do. They do the job that others might find impossible and that includes some pretty extreme things. Almost all military may be trained in combat, but these guys and gals are trained to be deadly efficient at it. They also see a lot of action.

Look, I'm going to get this out of the way now: I have no problem with combat and even killing if I think it is necessary. That being said, the reason I want the SERE Instructor position is because it offers the most comprehensive survival training anywhere that I can find and you teach it to others. That is your job, your job is to live and to teach others how to live. The fact that it is a non-deployable position is just a bonus.

Learning how to survive in an urban, rural, or technologically advanced environment is not enough, I think the ability to survive in any environment and in any situation: arctic, jungle, desert, marine, temperate, urban, rural, tropical, mid-air, mountainous, high-altitudes, low-altitudes, deep-sea, high-sea, etc.; sounds absolutely wonderful.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
It always seemed strange to me that SERE instruction is a separate career field in the Air Force that first-term airman are eligible for. From what I understand, they don't deploy themselves and so have never had to experience nor will they ever experience the dangers they are teaching pilots, PJs, airborne personell to survive/evade. Even stranger is they get their own beret.
Also to that comment about them never experiencing the dangers they train their students for: to pass SERE training they drop you in the middle of the wild miles away from any sort of contact by yourself with no luxuries what so ever (like food) and say "Survive". At the end of 3 days you better not only be alive but use every lesson they have taught you.

As for the being captured part, it may not be the real thing but it certainly is a good warm-up from what I have read from past experiences of those who have gone through it.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:12 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I can still remember pulling in to that McDonalds after returning from SERE near San Diego. Heaven!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Any update on this thread?

Sorry, but Colors seems really annoying to me and I would be surprised to hear that he is now a SERE instructor.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Sorry, but Colors seems really annoying to me and I would be surprised to hear that he is now a SERE instructor.
He is not a SERE instructor. I'm not sure if he actually enlisted in the Navy yet which was supposed to happen soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Future Navy Sailor Aerographer's Mate ColorsWolf here, hello!~ ^_^

I'm due to ship out to Navy RTC in February, 2014 specifically I have to be there on February 13, 2014.~

After my basic training and my "A" School is complete,

Old 04-29-2014, 03:28 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
You need to think long term, i.e. ten, 20 years from now, and pick a field that will provide you with a skill that might get you a decent job if you decide to get out after 4 years.

I was in the Navy but my friends in the Air Force were much more specialized than us so many of their jobs seemed too limited to me.

Check out some active duty web sites for Air Force people and see if they can recommend a good career. If you can find a field that does not make you a shift worker that would be great. You could go to college after work and finish your BA etc.

The best friends, experiences, etc...were found during my time in the service. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Check out some active duty web sites for Air Force people and see if they can recommend a good career. If you can find a field that does not make you a shift worker that would be great. You could go to college after work and finish your BA etc.
One Air Force advantage seems to be: Welcome to The Air University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues