Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,025 times

Advertisements

I'm signing up for the Air Force, originally I was going to sign up for the Coast Guard, but I recently heard from them that they have already achieved their "Mission Accomplished" and that from now on it would be hard to get into the Coast Guard.

I already have my GED and my Associate's of Arts in Liberal Arts college degree, but I've been studying for the ASVAB test for awhile now as I believe you can never be over-prepared.

The problem is, there are a lot of jobs to choose from and I have no idea what I am going to do.

In college and in anything, I excel at all subjects, I just find everything fascinating from biotechnology, biology, chemistry, geology, business math, to art, dance, physiology, psychology, philosophy, sociology, history, civil rights, and music. That's why I chose Liberal Arts, I could dabble in everything in the Arts and Humanities fields, but I could have easily gone with Liberal Sciences.

I am 22 years old, single, have no debts, no loans, no credit debts, no financial burdens, no convictions, no felonies, physically fit, mentally sharp, and nothing holding me back.

At first, I wanted to join as going into the field of SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape) Expert Instructor in the Air Force, but after reading more about the actual training and considering the actual job, I am worried than my daily job will be to simulate an enemy environment that my students are expected to try and escape from, which means I might be inflicting pain on people on an almost daily basis.

I can handle the training part, but I don't want to be inflicting pain on someone on an almost regular basis, that's not what I singed-up for.

So I need some help finding out of 1,000s of jobs in the Air Force the right Air Force job for me.

Even though I am very flexible, I'm only good at something if I find it interesting. Monotonous repetitive boring tasks that never have any variation to them tend to lose my focus really fast. Push-ups, sit-ups, and exercising don't count as much because they accomplish the purpose of making me stronger, but even them I like to create my own variation of them, like instead of doing 1 kind of standard push-up, I do 50 push-ups for 3 different kinds of push-ups each.

I don't mind boring tasks if they are a part of my job, but not if they are the focus of my job. Administration, inventory, and anything office-focused I am absolutely terrible at. Not because my typing or other office-related skills are terrible, but because with these kinds of jobs I tend to really lose focus really fast.

I'm not going back to college any time soon within the next 5 years, I'm done with college right now and have no plans of going back to it any time soon. Although I don't mind going to technical school for my chosen job.

I like to work with my hands, I like working physically and getting a good work out, I don't like sitting all day, I don't mind getting dirty and messy in fact I like it!, I like the outdoors, I love nature, I also love technology and science, I like everything boat related and ocean related, I love the arts, I love art, I love music, I love dancing, I like showmanship, I don't like competition when it's not for fun, I don't really care about money in comparison to getting a job that I love to wake-up every day doing,

I don't mind fighting and combat but I don't want that to be the focus of my job, when it comes to mother nature I believe the best we as a species can do is to live and let live interfering only makes things worse, I like being challenged and I like becoming stronger mentally and physically other people hate pain I like pain because whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger, and it would be nice to have some practicality in my job since what's the point of being an electrical engineer when you have no idea what to do during a complete black-out?

Thank you for any help and any advice you can give!~ ^_^

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 06-17-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I can handle the training part, but I don't want to be inflicting pain on someone on an almost regular basis, that's not what I singed-up for.
The military is not a "oh, I don't think I want to do that..."

Quote:
So I need some help finding out of 1,000s of jobs in the Air Force the right Air Force job for me.
They don't really have 1,000's of jobs. But if you are really in doubt, willing to do almost anything else, why not choose the job you are qualified to do which has the longest training...

But my 22 years was Army. I was stationed at two Air Force bases and my children were born in Air Force hospitals...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-19-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times
College-educated. Relatively young. Seems reasonably intelligent and has decent grammar and spelling. No loans, no financial burdens, no criminal record of any kind. And excelled in all subjects?

You fit the profile of an intel troop.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM

167 posts, read 469,985 times
Best job for enlisted in the AF is aircraft loadmaster, that is if you like to travel and see other countries. Several videos on youtube.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
I might be inflicting pain on people on an almost daily basis.

In point of fact, that is what you're signing up for. In a war, if you're inflicting pain on someone on an almost regular basis, you're doing it right-inflicting it on the enemy.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
Best job for enlisted in the AF is aircraft loadmaster, that is if you like to travel and see other countries. Several videos on youtube.
Tell me more…

Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Tell me more…
Their prommotions seem quick. They do travel a lot. The Air Forces web page for Aircraft Loadmaster: Aircraft Loadmaster - airforce.com

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times
Even though your sights are on the Air Force, do realize it's still the military, the profession of arms... which means your are to uphold the constitution and defend the US against all enemies, foreign and domestic. This means inflicting harm on others when ordered to do so.

Generally speaking, all jobs, whether in the AF or other branches, are geared towards offensive and defensive measures against an enemy -> inflicting harm to the enemy while minimizing harm to US forces and allies.

If you desire to neither inflict harm on friendly and enemy forces, then you should look into the medical field: medical assistant, dental assistant, physical therapy assistant; or into Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR).

Last edited by tmoua1; 06-18-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM

The oath of enlistment is the same whatever your job is. You don't get to choose what you will or will not do...
"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
So, IIRC, you list three or four specialties that you 'wish' to pursue. (Loadmaster, helicopter pilot, drone controller).

Then they assign you to a tech school and you do what you are told. (Food service, military police, engine repair).

If there is a specialty that you desire, better get it in writing (ha, ha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues