Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of a little venting over how TA and GI Bill benefits work. I'm trying to knock out my masters degree before leaving the military yet the way TA and the GI bill works have thrown a monkey wrench into my plans.

Masters programs are expensive and I knew TA would not cover everything due to the cap on cost per credit hour - it's annoying sure, but I've got top up to use right?? - wrong. I called up the VA to get clarification on my situation and find out that I can't use the MGIB top up program because I'm not at the two year mark. Post 9/11 won't cover everything as well because I'm not at the 2 year mark either.

So I'm pretty much left with pushing everything off until later, and doubling up on courses a few semesters to make up the time difference. It's annoying that I paid into a program fully already, yet can't use those benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Those are the rules, have always been the rules. Some people don't serve their full contracts, for a variety of reasons. As such, the GI Bill doesn't start automatically. These rules were available on google or any other search engine before you joined. Think of it this way, it's not like you are currently looking for a job, so you have time.

Have you considered switching to a school with more friendly military rates? I'm working on my Masters with Central Michigan University, and using TA only. I pay $70 per class out of pocket. I can't complain. I was using Park University, but I was paying almost $800 a class so I transferred.

I think Penn State and the University of Maryland also have really good military rates in their online programs.

If you do enough research, you should be able to find something affordable.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Those are the rules, have always been the rules. Some people don't serve their full contracts, for a variety of reasons. As such, the GI Bill doesn't start automatically. These rules were available on google or any other search engine before you joined. Think of it this way, it's not like you are currently looking for a job, so you have time.

Have you considered switching to a school with more friendly military rates? I'm working on my Masters with Central Michigan University, and using TA only. I pay $70 per class out of pocket. I can't complain. I was using Park University, but I was paying almost $800 a class so I transferred.

I think Penn State and the University of Maryland also have really good military rates in their online programs.

I know why they have those rules, it's still annoying having to deal with them though.

I'd disagree with the job searching part. While I'm not directly looking for one, everything I do now is directed towards padding the resume for a job in 2 years. In terms of time, 2 years really is not a long time - especially with the job market, forwarding planning is essential.

I have already done extensive research for my particular degree. Not too many places have the distance learning option, and they were all expensive. It would be easier if I was stateside. My current program is with Penn State and the rates are not great, hence this post. I could switch my degree plan up, however having something not apply to my particular field makes no sense.

What is your particular degree path at Central Michigan?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Mine at CMU is just Leadership, nothing technical or special. Good luck! I hope it works out for you. Good news is that hopefully your GI Bill will kick in soon for you. I think perhaps Penn State had good bachelor's degree prices, maybe that is where I got the idea from.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

Beats me, I'm at Sterns right now, and I am paying almost $1500 an hour...Program total is 115k...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues