U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM

28,766 posts, read 15,599,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I am part of the board of officers of an organization and one of our officers is quite the "troublemaker." He was in the Navy for about a year before returning to school this past fall, and has never told anyone exactly why he left, or if he is still in the Navy (and I doubt he will tell us the real reason being how he is).

In my interest in investigating his past (his high school classmates tell me he was rather awkward and fixated on certain girls), I was wondering if any public record exists to view the discharge reasons of military veterans.
Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public. ... Information will not be released if requested for unethical purposes.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...al-public.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,649,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderRocket View Post
Everyone saying he has no rights to his records but yet he is in their organization as an officer and causing trouble? Seems to me he has every right to know who he is dealing with, what if he were dishonorably discharged for drugs or sex offenses? would you want it kept from you? what if he murdered someone and tried covering it up? would you want him around your family and you not knowing, I believe this day in age, everyone has the right to everyone's history, nobody is trustworthy
Have to say I agree with that. That's why for positions of public trust, government work, applying for a concealed weapons permit or even buying a gun, the question of "have you ever been dishonorably discharged from the US military?" is asked.

I think it's similar to a background check. If you background check someone and it comes back that they committed this or that crime, would you hire them? If a guy claims to be a veteran, wouldn't you want to know if it was honorable before hiring them?

For those of us who have DD214's, we proudly show them when asked because that means we did our time honorably.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 AM

8,133 posts, read 5,935,945 times
If you are that interested in this guy's past, why not pay for an all-out background check?
Something similar to what the military does before granting a Top Secret security clearance!
Sure, it might be expensive, but then you will know everything there is to know about the guy.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,263,047 times
I would never show anyone my 214 unless there was a legitimate and official reason.

I would not be on a board with someone and seek to find out their past by seeking personal documents. If my own gut today didn't tell me what I needed to know on the other board member and I did not have observable current facts to support my feelings, I would let it go. If the other person is a bad player, it will come to light with current actions/behaviors.

What I would do is see if background checks are required to hold the position on the board and all on the board would have to face equal background checks.

I would not serve on a board where people were questioning my service or background. Just wouldn't want to associate with that type of person. Let them have it.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM

7,561 posts, read 8,132,452 times
AS an FYI, since 2005 military personnel record were ruled public records by the courts and are available with an FOIA request. Since that time, changes have been made to streamline the process for legitimate reasons. We can obtain certain information without the written consent of the veteran. So long as it's for employment, education, medical or fiduciary reasons, your service record is now sent to us in quickly. If we need more details beyond the basic information, we need a signature of the veteran or service member. Many background checking company's no longer accept a DD214 as proof because of all the fake and adulterated ones floating around.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:18 AM

23,005 posts, read 35,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
AS an FYI, since 2005 military personnel record were ruled public records by the courts and are available with an FOIA request. Since that time, changes have been made to streamline the process for legitimate reasons. We can obtain certain information without the written consent of the veteran. So long as it's for employment, education, medical or fiduciary reasons, your service record is now sent to us in quickly. If we need more details beyond the basic information, we need a signature of the veteran or service member. Many background checking company's no longer accept a DD214 as proof because of all the fake and adulterated ones floating around.

I believe you are incorrect...

You provided no reference.

From: https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...al-public.html

Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)for the General Public

Quote:
Access to Records, Information for the General Public:

Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public. You are considered a member of the general public if you are not the veteran, asking about a veteran who is of no relation to you or seeking information about a veteran who is a relative but for whom you are not the next-of-kin. The next-of-kin is defined as any of the following: the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.

Such access is intended to strike a balance between the public's right to obtain information from Federal records, as outlined in the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and the veteran's right to privacy as defined by the Privacy Act. Information will not be released if requested for unethical purposes.

Different release procedures apply for records 62 years and older, see Archival Records.
What Type of Information is Releasable to the General Public?

The type of information releasable to the general public from Federal (non-archival) records is dependent upon whether or not a person is requesting information under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or has access authorization from the veteran or next-of-kin.

With the Veteran or Next-of-Kin's authorization:
The veteran (or next-of-kin if the veteran is deceased) must authorize the release of any information not available to the public under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). In some cases, the veteran may already possess military documents that contain the information you are seeking. The authorization must:

be in writing;

specify what additional information or copies that the NPRC may release to you; and

include the signature of the veteran or next-of-kin. A sample authorization is included for your review.

Please note: Next-of-kin must also provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home or a published obituary.

Without the Veteran or Next-of-Kin's authorization:
Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the NPRC can only release limited information from non-archival Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) to the general public. Click here for a list of information available under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. Greater access is granted for records 62 years and older, see Archival Records.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I believe you are incorrect...

You provided no reference.

From: https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...al-public.html

Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)for the General Public
Read what you posted! Notice how it CLEARLY states we can access certain information WITHOUT the consent of the service member, veteran or next of kin. That means we don't need need their permission to get certain information of a service person or veteran for legitimate purposes. I believe that is what I posted.

If you read the SF-180, it has a box for the service member, next of kin, legal guardian and OTHER. I check the other. In Section II #2 I list the specific reason for requesting the information. It also ask the type of information needed, although it's kinda a moot point as they determine what is released based on the need and requester. Most amounts to what would be a simple simple employment or fiduciary background check.

The current information we receive without consent are their dates of service, where they were stationed, date of ranks, the jobs they performed and the character of discharge. Despite 5 U.S.C. 552, as amended saying we can and OPM saying we can, and it being listed as an approved release without consent, salary information has never been supplied. But it may have been a trade off as discharge type isn't listed yet we get that. So salary may have been dropped (it simple to get pay grade info for rank) and discharge type replacing it as that's a major reason for requesting information. I also thin k that because a service member/veteran can now request a Deleted DD-214 (removes discharge - reenlistment info) many fake DD214's have been presented as real.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I also thin k that because a service member/veteran can now request a Deleted DD-214 (removes discharge - reenlistment info) many fake DD214's have been presented as real.
If you are still unsure whether the DD-214 you're reviewing is valid, you may ask the person for written permission to obtain his record from the National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri. In your request by mail, you must include his name, dates of service, date of birth and Social Security number. Once your request is received, you will be mailed a copy of the original certificate, if one exists.

http://legalbeagle.com/10065316-spot-fake-dd214.html

Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If you are still unsure whether the DD-214 you're reviewing is valid, you may ask the person for written permission to obtain his record from the National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri. In your request by mail, you must include his name, dates of service, date of birth and Social Security number. Once your request is received, you will be mailed a copy of the original certificate, if one exists.
You're missing my point. I Do Not Need a Service Member's or Veterans Permission Anymore to obtain certain information from their records. I can get what I need by just making the request.

A service member's records are not classified documents, they are public records; as such, the US government will released certain information on your service that is not considered "private" information. What they will release and what they will withhold is subject to continued modifications as federal courts determine there is no valid reason to withhold it.

I know it's a long standing popular belief that your records can not be obtained by the public without your permission, but that ended over a decade ago.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
You're missing my point. I Do Not Need a Service Member's or Veterans Permission Anymore to obtain certain information from their records. I can get what I need by just making the request.

A service member's records are not classified documents, they are public records; as such, the US government will released certain information on your service that is not considered "private" information. What they will release and what they will withhold is subject to continued modifications as federal courts determine there is no valid reason to withhold it.

I know it's a long standing popular belief that your records can not be obtained by the public without your permission, but that ended over a decade ago.
Keyword: certain information

With all due respect, from what you posted here, and correct me if I am wrong, it seems like you want to prove this person was a troublemaker even in the military.

I doubt you will get his social security number. (You are not his employer) Employers can only verify military service through a DD214. For that reason, they will generally request an “undeleted certified copy.”

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-26-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues