U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 AM

27,348 posts, read 14,871,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You're missing my point. I Do Not Need a Service Member's or Veterans Permission Anymore to obtain certain information from their records. I can get what I need by just making the request.

A service member's records are not classified documents, they are public records; as such, the US government will released certain information on your service that is not considered "private" information. What they will release and what they will withhold is subject to continued modifications as federal courts determine there is no valid reason to withhold it.

I know it's a long standing popular belief that your records can not be obtained by the public without your permission, but that ended over a decade ago.
Bold: Yes and NO

Read the bold

ONLY certain information will be released and information will not be released if requested for unethical purposes. This has never changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public. ... Information will not be released if requested for unethical purposes.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/mi...al-public.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 04:42 AM

Also want to add this:

The public has access to certain military service information without the veteran's authorization (or that of the next-of-kin of deceased veterans). Examples of information which may be available from Official Military Personnel Files without an unwarranted invasion of privacy include:

Name
Service Number
Dates of Service
Branch of Service
Rank and Date of Rank
Salary *
Assignments and Geographical Locations
Source of Commission *
Military Education
Promotion Sequence Number *
Awards and decorations (Eligibility only, not actual medals)
Duty Status
Photograph
Transcript of Court-Martial Trial
Place of entrance and separation

DD214 Copies and Privacy

Do you really think the above will help you investigating his past? (your words, not mine)

Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 AM

4,316 posts, read 1,453,250 times
I don't understand those that think a service member's records are public info.

I served 2 terms as an elected school board member.
All our meetings had to be open to the public.

Yet, we were constantly warned by our attorney to be careful that the school didn't divulge private info on any school employee as that employee was protected from having it disclosed under.....Data Privacy laws.

Shouldn't servicemen have the same protection as school employees ?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:21 PM

7,376 posts, read 7,738,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Shouldn't servicemen have the same protection as school employees ?
The most likely do, to the extent people understand the regulations. The biggest problem is most people have no idea what the law s say. They believe it to be so they think it is. Throw in a bunch of selective readings and selective interpretation and you the recipe for misunderstanding.

Lets look at military records. Most military persons are under the false impression that their military records will never be released to the public without their consent. You can see that belief in this topic. I personally believe the reason for thinking this is the need to have a service members or their next of kin's consent to obtain their full military record. however a full military record contains lots of personal information not subject to disclosure. But, because they stopped at that point and read no further they didn't even see that the public can obtain service member's records without consent that has been deemed not personal.

As far as your situation, I suspect that under your state and school district policy, certain information will be released on individuals without needing their consent. Most likely, the prohibition is against discussing "personnel matters" as they can be considered private information under privacy regulations. I don't know of a state that allows any government body to restrict all information on public employees. Some make it very difficult to just get where to make the public record release request, but that hardness usually crumbles when a court gets involved.

There really isn't any legitimate reason that a military members name, rank, duty station, job tile and nature of discharge needs to be protected and it appears the highest court agreed.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,827,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also want to add this:

The public has access to certain military service information without the veteran's authorization (or that of the next-of-kin of deceased veterans). Examples of information which may be available from Official Military Personnel Files without an unwarranted invasion of privacy include:

Name
Service Number
Dates of Service
Branch of Service
Rank and Date of Rank
Salary *
Assignments and Geographical Locations
Source of Commission *
Military Education
Promotion Sequence Number *
Awards and decorations (Eligibility only, not actual medals)
Duty Status
Photograph
Transcript of Court-Martial Trial
Place of entrance and separation

DD214 Copies and Privacy

Do you really think the above will help you investigating his past? (your words, not mine)
That would pretty much provide a person with someone's entire career history.

I'm not even sure why people think records are private. Anything you do with the government is subject to FOIA unless it's classified.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
That would pretty much provide a person with someone's entire career history.

I'm not even sure why people think records are private. Anything you do with the government is subject to FOIA unless it's classified.
hmm I doubt the above will give op the information he was looking for. He posted "his high school classmates tell me he was rather awkward and fixated on certain girls" I doubt military record would help. I personally believe the individual's toxic behaviors will eventually push people away.
Since the "veteran" is not here to defend himself, I would refrain from judging him, (not implying anybody are judging here) but that is just me.

I agree with Todd00, if op is really curious about his military record, why not just asking him for it?

Add: I posted earlier, op needs the social security number in order to get his record. Isn't that an employer's job to do a background check?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-28-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 227 times
My wife and I are trying to find her father. We know he was in the navy, he was a boatswain mate and served in the 80's. He was dishonorable discharged. We know his name but can't find anything of him. Can someone point us in the right direction? Thanks

Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 PM

22,769 posts, read 34,411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer700 View Post
My wife and I are trying to find her father. We know he was in the navy, he was a boatswain mate and served in the 80's. He was dishonorable discharged. We know his name but can't find anything of him. Can someone point us in the right direction? Thanks
You can start here at the National Archives. Veterans' Service Records: https://www.archives.gov/veterans

Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 PM

947 posts, read 269,643 times
In the past, I had a couple of prior servicemen working for me that were "troublemakers" and were caught in numerous lies, and I found it kinda odd that they only served 3-4 years in the military but never talked about their service history. Come to found out both of them were "denied" re-enlistment. So me personally, I find it kind of suspect to why. They both ended up quitting.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 376 times
I agree. I think if he is in the guy's organization and likes to cause trouble (which I would call text harassment causing trouble, and it seems there may be more) I think he has every right to know who he is dealing with. And considering anyone can pay $25 to stick their nose up their neighbor's rear end, I don't think what he is asking is unreasonable.
I wish I had an answer for you. I'm trying to find some similar information for another reason and I haven't found it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues