Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
Did your online degree help you land a good job in the civilian world? I know it may be asking a lot - I honestly want great advice from the "mature" soldiers who enlisted or stayed in the military (army - preferably) since I am considering it (I am going on 28 by the way) and you really looked like you planned well when you were serving. I have a "descent" job now and my main reason (thinking) about joining is to serve my country, just learn to be more mature during the experience - and finish my education (have about 1 -1/2 years left - currently have an associates). But - if joining will just help me to benefit after and not during my stay - I am considering just to change my plan here in the civilian world.

What is your recommendation in general in terms of beneficial vs non-beneficial as opposed to being in the military at this age compared to not.
I don't have online degrees, I have degrees from B&M schools that I obtained by doing online courses. You should talk to a recruiter and take the ASVAB. Easier to plan knowing your options. A common misconception is thugs and retards join the military. The truth is most people don't meet the minimum requirements.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
Yea - not too worried about "hanging" out with kids or don't mind as that is not my first priority, but would like to know if I will have a chance to date and have some free time (weekends and such) when finally adjusted in the military? (after bootcamp - learning your job and while working). Are you currently serving now? (did you re-enlist) and if I decide to enlist (4 years) and decide to stay in the military after - do you see huge benefits compared to the normal civilians who done well for themselves (ex: army career vs college-educated middle class citizen (civilian world)? I know benefits are part of the game - at the same time I do want to serve my country and also come out a better man if it does serve that purpose.
1- Once you are in a unit, you have free time. We work M-F. Not to say you won't work a weekend-- if you have staff duty detail or a training exercise covers a weekend are some obvious exceptions.

2- Yes, I am still in. I stayed in because I do think there are many benefits to remaining in the service. A lot of opportunities are available. I've been all over the world, made some great friends, and have done a lot of really cool things--- I even had the opportunity to fly on to an aircraft carrier. Granted, I was a passenger but I got to experience what it's like to come to a screaming halt.

3- Lastly, you can get a lot out of the Army both professionally and personally. However, you need to be prepared to put into it--- invest yourself into your profession if you really want to reap the benefits of service. But I would offer this, the Army will probably give more to you than you to it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM

50 posts, read 163,656 times
I appreciate all responses. Thanks curtis and arty for detailed response - this helps a bunch.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,142 times
I joined at 25 as one of those unemployed college grads suffering from the job market. Take the ASVAB and ace it (its easy), and you will have access to a greater pool of jobs that can help you on the outside. I'd personally suggest looking into the AF and not the Army, if I could do it over again I'd go with them. Since it is good to hear multiple viewpoints, I'll say that I personally can't stand the army for a variety of reasons. The flip side if that is that army life is also easy, and if it helps to land a job in 2 years, it will be well worth it.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM

108 posts, read 285,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I enlisted at 26 (Marines)

Some people tried to discourage me from enlisting since I would be 30 at the end of my contract. To which, I replied, "and if I don't enlist , how old will I be in four years?"
Thank you for posting this; I'm replying late---I know. You're going to get old either way (if you join or if you don't). I'd rather get older with free grad school money than get older with few prospects on changing the trajectory of my life.

I'm currently taking classes towards my Masters and I'm enlisting in the USN. I'll be 28 in November.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 PM

457 posts, read 693,757 times
I'm 25, have a decent job but it's dead end. The career I want is in the fire fighting/medical field, but jobs are A. extremely competitive B. hard to come by. I'm looking at the military, because I feel like my time is running out, and I don't want to wait 4-5 years to find a fire/medical job only to have the possibility of never getting it. I want to serve my country, and do new and different things before I can't anymore. I don't know what to do though. I have a car payment, girlfriend, and dog, and I feel like I just can't up and leave them. I want to serve my country, and make a better life for myself and girlfriend. Any veterans have any advice?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
I'm 25, have a decent job but it's dead end. The career I want is in the fire fighting/medical field, but jobs are A. extremely competitive B. hard to come by. I'm looking at the military, because I feel like my time is running out, and I don't want to wait 4-5 years to find a fire/medical job only to have the possibility of never getting it. I want to serve my country, and do new and different things before I can't anymore. I don't know what to do though. I have a car payment, girlfriend, and dog, and I feel like I just can't up and leave them. I want to serve my country, and make a better life for myself and girlfriend. Any veterans have any advice?
I would check with ALL the recruiters...

Firefighting is discussed in these threads:
Air Force Firefighter - E3 job inquiry
Firefighting Program in the Military

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the links. I've looked and researched, and from what I've read it seems like the AF is the way to go in fire fighting/medical jobs.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
Thank you for the links. I've looked and researched, and from what I've read it seems like the AF is the way to go in fire fighting/medical jobs.
You are possibly correct, but I would still talk to all the recruiters. Not that they know it all, but to give you a perspective. I know two young Firefighters/EMT's in our town who are Army Vets, a young man and a young woman... With about 1,429,995 active duty military, there are a lot of odds, chances, opportunities, etc.

But good luck,

Rich

Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Thank you sir. Spoke with an AF recruiter today. I have to lose about 12-15lbs before I can apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues