U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM

628 posts, read 1,041,763 times

Advertisements

I applied to the Air Force, sent in my application to my recruiter, she said it was good, and she only had one suggestion: that I get the medical records for the time I had my mole removed as a child as it left a pretty noticeable scar in the middle of my chest.

A few days of calls and research latter: I find out that the medical clinic that did the procedure closed down and the insurance that we had at the time that covered it no longer exists, so there is no way to get the medical records of that particular time and place.

So basically, I have a noticeable scar in the middle of my chest with no possible way to get medical records for whatsoever.

The procedure done was for purely cosmetic reasons or just for looks, of course there is no way to verify this.

I told my recruiter all of this and she said she would contact MEPS about this and call me back when she hears back from them.

It's been 2 weeks now, and I'm feeling a little anxious, my scores are up, my mind fitness is up, and my physical fitness is up. I'm ready to try to get in now, it's just taking a while.

What is the average amount of time MEPS takes to respond to this sort of thing?

What was your experiences?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM

499 posts, read 1,803,120 times
Did the MEPS medical staff send it off to the USAF recruiting surgeon general to approve/disapprove your waiver? Sometimes the MEPS staff either can't or won't approve certain medical waivers because of a particular service's specific requirements. Medical waivers, even if they go to the service's surgeon general office, can be approved in a day or they can take up to a month.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
Did the MEPS medical staff send it off to the USAF recruiting surgeon general to approve/disapprove your waiver? Sometimes the MEPS staff either can't or won't approve certain medical waivers because of a particular service's specific requirements. Medical waivers, even if they go to the service's surgeon general office, can be approved in a day or they can take up to a month.
I wasn't applying for a medical waiver and I don't know if I even need a medical waiver as I've heard some people get in no problem by just explaining it during examination.

I have no idea about anything you just said, all I know is my recruiter said she would send a message to MEPS or "talk to them" and she would call me when she heard back from them.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 PM

194 posts, read 996,173 times
You should have never even brought it up. If its a non-issue you should have just made up a story about crashing your bicycle when you were a kid. Any surgery they want records one way or the other. I was in a dirtbike accident in '91 (was 6) and broke my jaw and nose. Happened over 20 years ago and I have no ill effects but I still would have had to show documentation. The hospital laughed at me when I asked for medical records. I just provided what I had which was a report saying I received stitches for a motor vehicle accident.

If you had a serious accident and there is a chance it could hinder you or surface some day then I wouldn't cover it up but if it's something silly just make up a plausible story. No one you'll interact with will really care anyway.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM

499 posts, read 1,803,120 times
I obviously misread your OP. A MEPS doctor could answer the question in a matter of 5 minutes. When I was in an Army Recruiting battalion as the Ops Officer (in that job I was in charge of our Guidance Counselors at MEPS) we would ask MEPS doctors questions all the time. Unless things have changed, and I highly doubt they have, there's no reason your Recruiter hasn't been told an answer. My guess--- they haven't asked.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I obviously misread your OP. A MEPS doctor could answer the question in a matter of 5 minutes. When I was in an Army Recruiting battalion as the Ops Officer (in that job I was in charge of our Guidance Counselors at MEPS) we would ask MEPS doctors questions all the time. Unless things have changed, and I highly doubt they have, there's no reason your Recruiter hasn't been told an answer. My guess--- they haven't asked.
Thank you so much! I went to the Army and they called the MEPS Doctor in 5 minutes, they said I need a letter from my mom and me explaining things. I do not know what is going on with my Air Force recruiter, either she's busy, she's ignoring me, or something else is going on.

The Army said they'll take me and help me get in, but they said it would take 12 years for me to get into a Survival Expert position. That's too long. The Air Force is the only known branch where I can go straight from basic into indoctrination to apply for SERE Instructor training.

I'm thinking, but hoping not, that I will have to get another Air Force recruiter.

Wish me luck!

Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 AM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
Generally, they insist on pathology reports. I actually am working a waiver for an applicant right now because her mole was NOT cancer, but had a probability of becoming so, and she was disqualified. MEPS is not supposed to take more than 72 hours to make a decision. However, they often do, and your recruiter is powerless. I'd follow-up with your recruiter. Sounds like you aren't having much luck with the recruiter though. Sorry about that!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Generally, they insist on pathology reports. I actually am working a waiver for an applicant right now because her mole was NOT cancer, but had a probability of becoming so, and she was disqualified. MEPS is not supposed to take more than 72 hours to make a decision. However, they often do, and your recruiter is powerless. I'd follow-up with your recruiter. Sounds like you aren't having much luck with the recruiter though. Sorry about that!
Thanks, I did and I told her it was more like a plastic surgery and she says that still counts as a skingraft (although it wasn't a skingraft) and the medical requirements of my area say that all skingrafts must be supplied with medical records.

I told her that I went to the Army and they called a MEPS Doctor up in 5 minutes, asked, and then told me that all I need is a letter from my mom and me explaining things, and if I could do the same thing with the Air Force.

She said the Air Force has stricter requirements and is the slowest moving of all branches (although I think that may be just her mostly), but upon my behalf she would ask if a letter from from my mom and me would suffice.

Fingers-crossed.

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 07-24-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM

I just told my recruiter that the truth that I just found out, it was not a mole removal AND it was NOT a skingraft, it was actually just a doctor who cut a piece of my skin off because I had an unusual mark on my skin, I think it was a birthmark, it was a part of my skin that was a darker pigment than the other parts of my skin and it was shaped like a circle it wasn't 3-demensional it was completely like the rest of my skin only it was a darker pigment.

My parents thought it looked weird so, like their solution to many things about my body, they had it cut off. Although instead of making me look more normal (what ever that is) it ended up looking more bizarre than it ever could have if left alone: it looks like a spider or a big beetle on my chest now!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,640,207 times
QUESTON.
are you female? If so, you are in trouble if you have health problems while you are active duty. Don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues