U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 AM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
4,405 posts, read 6,471,092 times
Reputation: 10714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
First 42 months which is your first enlistment.

Next enlistment

Officers don't enlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 AM
 
9,447 posts, read 7,879,489 times
Reputation: 12608
Oh, if you're going to have the Navy cover your college tuition, keep your nose clean. There was a junior female officer who was caught having an affair with a married marine enlistedman. She was kicked out the Navy after barely 2 years. She then owed the Navy for most of her college tuition. Had she finished out the years of her commission, she would not owe anything for her tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,942 posts, read 40,545,798 times
Reputation: 29038
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Oh, if you're going to have the Navy cover your college tuition, keep your nose clean. There was a junior female officer who was caught having an affair with a married marine enlistedman. She was kicked out the Navy after barely 2 years. She then owed the Navy for most of her college tuition. Had she finished out the years of her commission, she would not owe anything for her tuition.
That happens a lot, getting kicked out for not keeping "keep your nose clean"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:58 PM
 
4,189 posts, read 4,332,082 times
Reputation: 2223
Be ready to get yelled at a lot, a whole lot. The surface Navy eats their own and you better know what you are doing when it's your turn to be OOD/JOOD/CICWO. That is the way it is and will always be so be ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 AM
 
1 posts, read 92 times
Reputation: 10
what does a swo actually do and it is hard to become one?

what steps will I have to take to become a swo when I get out of college?

how long does it take to become a swo?

how long will I be at sea?

swo = surface warfare officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2019, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Rathdrum, ID
4,471 posts, read 4,256,299 times
Reputation: 8673
Nobody mentioned the paperwork. It's never ending for junior officers.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
9,569 posts, read 5,270,368 times
Reputation: 8156
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Nobody mentioned the paperwork. It's never ending for junior officers.

Some of that paperwork can be beneficial in the years afterwards.


During a series of "war games", they employed the junior officers as note takers which included yours truly. At the time, I thought it was just a waste of time but three things.


First of all, it was a way for us to learn what was going on while still doing something useful.


Secondly, in the years down the line, it was probably I learned to be useful in the intelligence and other business by learning to take notes so I could come back to my superiors and present them so they could know as if they had actually been there.


Finally, taking notes has developed into a way to calm me down in a stressful situation.


It does sort of, that life back in the Cold War, remind me of what they said about REFTRA (is that the term?) at Gitmo. It's hell but the best way to get through it is to be a little puppy who is eager to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,859 posts, read 44,152,173 times
Reputation: 12179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Also remember the first 4 years are really OJT for the rest of your Navy career, and the LPO's and Chiefs at this point could and have done your job at different times during their careers. Be respectful to them and treat them equals, as they have a lot more job and life experience than you in their division and in ship board life.

This is important. Junior officers have always been "finish trained" by senior enlisted people, in all services that I know anything about. You want these guys to want to help you. You really, really don't want to give them any reason to dislike you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 03:47 AM
 
9,447 posts, read 7,879,489 times
Reputation: 12608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That happens a lot, getting kicked out for not keeping "keep your nose clean"....
On my second ship we had an early shipboard email system used mainly by officers and senior officers. A junior female officer ensign was found to have been having an affair with a married senior enlisted Marine. It was discovered because a love letter email was sent to the wrong email address. The officer was discharged two years in her commission and ended up owning for her college tuition because she was unable to serve out her six year commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,796 posts, read 3,789,152 times
Reputation: 14233
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is important. Junior officers have always been "finish trained" by senior enlisted people, in all services that I know anything about. You want these guys to want to help you. You really, really don't want to give them any reason to dislike you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
On my second ship we had an early shipboard email system used mainly by officers and senior officers. A junior female officer ensign was found to have been having an affair with a married senior enlisted Marine. It was discovered because a love letter email was sent to the wrong email address. The officer was discharged two years in her commission and ended up owning for her college tuition because she was unable to serve out her six year commission.
Looks like in this case the ensign was finished instead of being "finish trained". Or maybe it was both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top