Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 31,849 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into joining (or rather, attempting) the USAF as an Officer. So here's my question regarding my background. I've been misdiagnosed most of my life, from doc to doc, plus some issues when I was in my younger years. More recently I've been on Lamictal for low grade anxiety, and on the lowest possible dose. This is being stopped of course, as it's such a low dose, it can be stopped without any downstep. Here's my question, how would you handle this when speaking with a recruiter and dealing with MEPS? Obviously, I'd have to go through psych anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
If you disclose the diagnosis (as you should), it is presumed the the doctor knew what he was doing when he diagnosed you, and unless you are a doctor, you can not determine that you were misdiagnosed. MEPS will assume that multiple doctors would not make the same mistake (MEPS usually takes the word of doctors as Golden, despite objection from applicants). To show a misdiagnosis, you'll need to show that a current doctor believes you were misdiagnosed. That will be the best way to go about it, but depending on what you were diagnosed with, it might not even be an issue. More info would help.

Make sure you talk to an OFFICER recruiter. They are different than enlisted, and can usually get a few more things cleared through MEPS. Anxiety meds are a 1 year deferral, generally, an officer recruiter may be able to get it waived, but you will need counseling records to support the anxiety diagnosis and to show that it is resolved. It is presumed that you were actually diagnosed with anxiety disorder, as doctors can't prescribe otherwise. Many applicants say, "I wasn't diagnosed, I was just taking it because...." but when they get their records it ALWAYS lists a diagnosis.

If you lie, basically a 99% chance they won't find out, we (I am a recruiter) don't pull your records from your doctors, but if you ever get caught it can mean a world of trouble.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM

I've been diagnosed with anything from ADD to depression to Bipolar. Though my current doctor agrees that they are all misdiagnoses, and I believe (I'm waiting to get ahold of the doc to confirm) my current diagnoses is anxiety. We aren't talking anxiety attacks or anything like that. Nothing that severe.

Though I did hear back from a recruiter yesterday and according to him, my 2.3 gpa is too low. I've been out of college for 2 years now, and have plenty of tech experience, as well as the ability to get recommendations on said experience and personal moral. What would improve my chances of going right into OTS instead of the enlisted route?

I realize this is all a longshot.

Last edited by kyletyung; 08-07-2013 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletyung View Post
I've been diagnosed with anything from ADD to depression to Bipolar. Though my current doctor agrees that they are all misdiagnoses, and I believe (I'm waiting to get ahold of the doc to confirm) my current diagnoses is anxiety. We aren't talking anxiety attacks or anything like that. Nothing that severe.

Though I did hear back from a recruiter yesterday and according to him, my 2.3 gpa is too low. I've been out of college for 2 years now, and have plenty of tech experience, as well as the ability to get recommendations on said experience and personal moral. What would improve my chances of going right into OTS instead of the enlisted route?

I realize this is all a longshot.

Ahhhh... for OTS the minimum GPA is a hard requirement, life experience does not matter. I haven't done OTS recruiting for a little over 18 months, but when I was doing it just under two years ago, there was NOT a minimum GPA for technical degrees (chemistry, engineering, etc). However, a 2.3 is not competitive, even if allowed to apply.

Your best bet would be to enlist, or get a second degree with another GPA (Bachelor's NOT masters). We go off Bachelor's GPA, regardless of what additional higher degree you have.

That medical history will be next to impossible to overcome, even with current doctor stating misdiagnosis. He can't possibly know exactly how you presented at the time the other doctor's made the diagnosis. If it were something more quantifiable, say, where a blood test could prove misdiagnosis, it would be easier.

Also, anxiety disorder is still a DQ, no matter how minor.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Ahhhh... for OTS the minimum GPA is a hard requirement, life experience does not matter. I haven't done OTS recruiting for a little over 18 months, but when I was doing it just under two years ago, there was NOT a minimum GPA for technical degrees (chemistry, engineering, etc). However, a 2.3 is not competitive, even if allowed to apply.

Your best bet would be to enlist, or get a second degree with another GPA (Bachelor's NOT masters). We go off Bachelor's GPA, regardless of what additional higher degree you have.

That medical history will be next to impossible to overcome, even with current doctor stating misdiagnosis. He can't possibly know exactly how you presented at the time the other doctor's made the diagnosis. If it were something more quantifiable, say, where a blood test could prove misdiagnosis, it would be easier.

Also, anxiety disorder is still a DQ, no matter how minor.
All the other diagnoses were before age 16. more than 10 years ago. That seems like un unfair DQ. EVERYONE has anxiety in relation to something big. I'll be curious to see what my doc's paperwork really says.

Last edited by kyletyung; 08-08-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 AM

Maybe with the length of time, except that your doctor hasn't said you're cleared, you doctor has said you still have anxiety. There is a difference (In MEPS eyes) between normal anxiety, and a doctor diagnosed anxiety disorder. Get your records and see how bad the doctor made it sound. Usually, it sounds WORSE in your medical records than the doctor makes it sound to you. This is necessary because the insurance companies won't pay without a diagnosis or something being "WRONG" so the medical records have to reflect something is wrong.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletyung View Post
All the other diagnoses were before age 16. more than 10 years ago. That seems like un unfair DQ. EVERYONE has anxiety in relation to something big. I'll be curious to see what my doc's paperwork really says.
You're saying that's unfair and you're not even in the military yet.

If you ever have the privilege of serving, you'll learn hard and quick what "unfair" really is.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Maybe with the length of time, except that your doctor hasn't said you're cleared, you doctor has said you still have anxiety. There is a difference (In MEPS eyes) between normal anxiety, and a doctor diagnosed anxiety disorder. Get your records and see how bad the doctor made it sound. Usually, it sounds WORSE in your medical records than the doctor makes it sound to you. This is necessary because the insurance companies won't pay without a diagnosis or something being "WRONG" so the medical records have to reflect something is wrong.
I got the notes from my current doc, they're scattered though, as there's no final official diagnosis.

Hypothetically, if I got my doc to clear me, would that make it easier to go about?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You're saying that's unfair and you're not even in the military yet.

If you ever have the privilege of serving, you'll learn hard and quick what "unfair" really is.
Ah, the things we can't change. Hard work and persistence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues