Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM

17,544 posts, read 17,485,812 times

Advertisements

Been through several CoC and only one brought a smile to our division because we hated the Captain so much. The Navy seemed embarrassed by him as well. Though it was a bright sunny day, the CoC was in the hanger bay with all doors closed. All enlisted were in their dungarees (our blue jean bell bottoms and blue cotton shirt). No band, no music, no cheap chairs with fancy material covering the chair, and a going away speech that literally started with, "Well, the Navy sure knows how to take care of their own". He was being sent to shore duty with no chance to renew his commission. We were ecstatic. But we never wanted to attend any CoC. I would have rathered crawling through the bilges than get dressed up for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,108,828 times
I always enjoyed the pomp and circumstance. But it may have been just me. I didn't mind dressing up and standing at attention for long periods of time, trying to avoid locking my knees. I made it a point to have my ribbons and medals in the correct order and knowing how to keep my service dress uniform clean and ship shape. Toward the end I assisted in the preparation of CoC ceremonies. Very interesting and the history behind everything made it worthwile. For the average joe in the ranks, I can see the resentment though.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:20 PM

534 posts, read 902,330 times
My experience was to not enjoy changes of command. Though i understood the traditional aspects of the event, i always thought a change of command is not unlike the coronation of a new king. Which leads to my never ending "delight" of personnel inspections.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM

17,544 posts, read 17,485,812 times
Only good thing about CoC was I earned $20 to sew on the patches. I use to be quick with a needle and thread thanks to home ec in high school. Sewing up pants legs was double the price. On a Navy ship, it's hard to maintain a clean pressed uniform. Coffin lockers are hell on pressed uniforms. Bates cheater shoes (plastic with mirror gloss) were illegal on Navy ships, doesn't mean they didn't tr to wear them anyway. Had a guy in our division who could get a high gloss on the worst boots. He also charged $20 and could get that gloss in about 5 minutes a pair.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,945,756 times
No

Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,591,724 times
Had a great change of command ceremony while in Spain.. Because of the NATO element and the fact the outgoing CO was friends with many of the Spanish Military. The food was first rate, half a steer, lobsters, caviar "first time in my life", and it was an open bar, not just beer and lower shelf liquar...

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 AM

167 posts, read 469,369 times
No!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:03 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,107,084 times
No

Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,060,777 times
Every CoC I've went to has always been on very hot days out in the sun so I've never liked them.

To me, they're just dog and pony shows with scripted speeches that don't mean much.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
It always seemed to take a lot of time to get dress uniforms ready, with last minute divisional inspections. Form-up and stand at attention beginning an hour before the invited guests arrive. A series of speakers, each with a long boring speech. I do not think there was ever any part of any speech that was memorable. Then the officers and guests would be invited to the O'club for refreshments, after they had left we could finally break-up formation and leave.

I have been through dozens of COC ceremonies. There were never refreshments for the crew.

I remember one that was topside on the tender in Holyloch, dress whites and we had near-horizontal hail during the ceremony. I remember my ear being packing with hail.

My first boat, had been doing a COC ceremony topside on the boat, during crew-turnovers. But one time a crane dropped a pallet on the crew and killed four crewmen. When I reported on-board I was replacement for one of the guys that had been killed by the dropped pallet. That ended the 'tradition' of doing crew turnovers topside.

No, I never wanted to attend a COC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues