Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
While the services are getting smaller, they ALWAYS have to fill the ranks. The services and DoD look deep--- it's why the QDR exists and why the J-staff tries to define the operating environment 20 years out. In doing so, they have to project requirements out that far as well. I will bet my yearly salary that there is not a single service that will opt to decline commissioning anyone for a year group. They would pay for that mistake for no less than a decade.

Best of luck in your search and efforts to receive a commission.
I didn't see anybody even imply they wouldn't commission people at all in a particular year group. They certainly will limit commissions and accept shortages: see YG 91-94 for the Army.

This young man wants to come in after college-e.g., OCS/OTS/whatever the Navy term is, or a direct commission.

OCS/et. al, and direct, historically been used to fill the shortages the more traditional Academy/ROTC routes cannot fill. Currently, USNA/NROTC are pretty well making it on the active side. He's got an uphill climb to get in under his particular set of conditions. He may still make it, but, uphill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

326 posts, read 478,540 times
Given my situation, would enlisting first and then going for officer after a few years be a better option? Would I be too old to go this way? I'm 24 right now.

Last edited by Jedi000; 08-20-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I didn't see anybody even imply they wouldn't commission people at all in a particular year group. They certainly will limit commissions and accept shortages: see YG 91-94 for the Army.

This young man wants to come in after college-e.g., OCS/OTS/whatever the Navy term is, or a direct commission.

OCS/et. al, and direct, historically been used to fill the shortages the more traditional Academy/ROTC routes cannot fill. Currently, USNA/NROTC are pretty well making it on the active side. He's got an uphill climb to get in under his particular set of conditions. He may still make it, but, uphill.
I'm US Army YG 93. We weren't under assessed. In fact, the CSA at the time, GEN Sullivan, spoke at my college frequently (he was an alumni) and he addressed how we were tailored for the future end strength of the Army. That was an important message because as soon to be new LTs, we already heard about all of the RIFs that were going on.

I also have experience in USAREC as an Operations Officer. I can tell you that OCS is not designed to fill shortages for USMA and ROTC. I'm not sure where you got that information.

With the downsizing of the military, everyone has an uphill battle, regardless of commissioning source. There are far more people who want to receive a commission than there are slots for.

But yeah, I was embellishing a little bit because the OP had received several responses telling him we are downsizing and we are kicking people out. How does someone who doesn't understand the process interpret that? Not favorably is my guess. I was trying to reassure them that all services still have the "Help Wanted" sign up.

I'll end here with a comment for the OP---- They can't say "no" unless you ask. I don't know how the Navy process works but you can go before the Army board multiple times. We had folks who went through several boards before they were finally selected. I sat on the OCS board as an interviewer/voting member and I remember seeing some applicants 2-3 times.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM

After reading many forum boards about OCS, I feel like enlisting would give me a better chance of accomplishing my goals. In addition, I can get real world experience, travel the world, pursue a graduate degree for no cost, and decide whether I want to go Air Force or Navy.

I'll let you guys know what comes of the meeting tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
After reading many forum boards about OCS, I feel like enlisting would give me a better chance of accomplishing my goals. In addition, I can get real world experience, travel the world, pursue a graduate degree for no cost, and decide whether I want to go Air Force or Navy.

I'll let you guys know what comes of the meeting tomorrow.
Apply to OCS first - the worst they can say is no. You then have the other branches to apply to as well. I would personally only do enlisted as a last resort. My experience on the enlisted side with a degree has been incredibly frustrating thus far. If I could do it over, I'd probably apply to the AF officer program instead of the Army.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 AM

I should have mentioned this before, but I only have a 2.82 GPA due to struggling my first two years trying to do engineering and biochemistry.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I'm US Army YG 93. We weren't under assessed. In fact, the CSA at the time, GEN Sullivan, spoke at my college frequently (he was an alumni) and he addressed how we were tailored for the future end strength of the Army. That was an important message because as soon to be new LTs, we already heard about all of the RIFs that were going on.

I also have experience in USAREC as an Operations Officer. I can tell you that OCS is not designed to fill shortages for USMA and ROTC. I'm not sure where you got that information.

With the downsizing of the military, everyone has an uphill battle, regardless of commissioning source. There are far more people who want to receive a commission than there are slots for.
Suffice it to say, we disagree on a couple of points. PM Sent.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Update:

I just got back from speaking with the recruiter and began the process of enlisting in the navy. The recruiter is going to give me the very last spot they have since someone just dropped out. All I have to do is take care of the speeding ticket (which I'm doing right now) and I'm good to go. The recruiter liked my clean medical and criminal history, and the 73 ASVAB score on the practice test. He wants to get me in MEPS on Tuesday.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
deleted...took it back to PMs

Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Sounds kind of crazy to hear a recruiter was impressed with a clean criminal history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues