U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 263,343 times

Advertisements

hi all! I have a question about Off base living in the Navy. I am shipping out to the boot camp as an E3. If I will be an E4 or E5 after 2 years, Can I live off base? The reason is I am the only living child of my mother (no father) and she will be alone while I am in service, so after 2 years I would like to live with my mom off base. I can even refuse from BAH, I mean I can pay for the rent from my Base Pay. Any advises of the Navy servicemembers or Veterans? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM

3,477 posts, read 5,101,496 times
#1 ? what is your rate going to be?

- Living off base varies command to command, though after work you are pretty much on your own.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM

15,517 posts, read 13,509,459 times
When I was in, I never heard of any restriction that kept someone from living off-base after boot camp and A-school; and even A-school still had people with waivers living out and some just living without asking at all.

There are of course exceptions, it will be really up to your command, but an E4 should be no concern; the restriciton is usually just for after boot and while in A-school.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM

37 posts, read 263,343 times
What you mean is that if you don't get BAH you are allowed to live off base whenever you want after boot camp and A-school?

I am gonna take mortgage then where I will be stationed on permanent duty

Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM

BAH is just money provided for housing; that is not permission to live off base. More than a few people live off-base without getting BAH, I even did so for a while until I finally got approval.

The rule of thumb is E5 and above get BAH, unless married, have a child, etc.

I have never heard of an E4 not being allowed to live off base, unless they got in trouble or something. E3 is a hit or miss, but generally after boot and A-school, there is no restriction, but that is the submarine force, I cannot say for the surface fleet which might be a little more strict.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM

5,684 posts, read 8,121,530 times
Is your mom willing to relocate to your duty station? That's the bigger question.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

5,684 posts, read 8,121,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjorik View Post
What you mean is that if you don't get BAH you are allowed to live off base whenever you want after boot camp and A-school?

I am gonna take mortgage then where I will be stationed on permanent duty
You know you may get new orders to a new permanent duty station every few years right? You may be better off saving up your money for a while. As a military brat, wife of a vet, and friend to many in the military I've noticed you move around a lot the first 5 years or so, but after that most people I know are able to stay in one place if you want. Of course that's just what I've observed. It seems the Navy is a little better than other branches at keeping people in one place because you can do sea and shore duty rotations at the same place. The USMC seems to be the most mobile. My brother is in the USAF, and he's on his second duty station, but he didn't want to stay at his last one due to the weather, and requested a new one as soon as he could.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM

258 posts, read 347,745 times
This is a complex subject, as most people have stated. There are different rules depending on what command you are at, what base it is, and whether or not you have dependents. I mention the last one because if your mother is disabled and you run a joint household with you supporting her financially in a significant way, there is a process you could look into which would make her a dependent. If you simply want to live with your mother so she is with family, that would be a different story (and how great and caring a son you are!) and wouldn't change your ability to receive BAH to live off base, but having dependents does impact that. So if your mother for some reason cannot support herself, you can look into making her a dependent which would change the rules of what your options are for housing, including the possibility of living in military housing with your mother, should you prefer.

I also just wanted to reiterate that you could be stationed anywhere, including overseas, and your permanent duty station will still only be permanent for a few years. Unless your plan is to stay in for one enlistment and settle down wherever you get stationed, it can be a pain to deal with having to sell or rent out a house you will be leaving behind to move. Some people do it, but it is usually stressful.

~Katy

Old 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM

What is your rate?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM

9,870 posts, read 8,158,454 times
Think about this carefully. Do you really want to live with mom while you're in the Navy? If you're doing this to care for her, you may beat sea 6 months straight and out to sea again for drills and repair test. Even if you're not doing this to care for her, don't you think there could be potential conflict if you bring home a lover or start drinking? Another possible source of conflict involves who is in charge. If you're paying the rent alone, you're going to want to be in charge, but mom will always want to be in charge because she's your mom. Like college, this is suppose to be your time to live, learn, and develop responsibility to become a responsible adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues