Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 PM

55 posts, read 113,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have not talked to a recruiter yet but I would like some insight from you guys. I am considering joining the Michigan national gaurd to help with college. I just recently received a bill for the school year and it was a lot more than expecting!! Lol. If I was to join the gaurd I would take the fall semester off and go to basic training. My only problem is I am unsure of what MOS would be right for me. As of right now I have three options for a career: a police officer, something in business, or a nurse. (If I was to go the police officer route I would still get a business degree so I would always have a back up) I would like something that will help me with my career in the future, I am leaning more towards business or cop, but I don't know which MOS would be good for a person majoring in business. Thank you for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 05:05 AM

12,076 posts, read 23,192,136 times
I assume you mean Army Guard since you mentioned an MOS, but be aware that their is also an Air Guard to look into. You can learn leadership by being an officer or NCO, but I don't know of an MOS that has a direct correlation to what you want to do. The vast majority of guard members' civilian jobs don't have anything to do with their MOS. Find a skill you are interested in and a unit that has a vacancy.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 AM

1,081 posts, read 546,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgc View Post
Hello everyone, I have not talked to a recruiter yet but I would like some insight from you guys. I am considering joining the Michigan national gaurd to help with college. I just recently received a bill for the school year and it was a lot more than expecting!! Lol. If I was to join the gaurd I would take the fall semester off and go to basic training. My only problem is I am unsure of what MOS would be right for me. As of right now I have three options for a career: a police officer, something in business, or a nurse. (If I was to go the police officer route I would still get a business degree so I would always have a back up) I would like something that will help me with my career in the future, I am leaning more towards business or cop, but I don't know which MOS would be good for a person majoring in business. Thank you for the help!!

Just being a veteran will help you with job placement.

Depending on where you are considering going to school will determine your MOS options. One weekend a month and two weeks of your summer, you will need to travel to your guard station. Figure out how far you are willing to drive and look for guard stations in that area. Once you know which guard stations are in the area, find out what they do. What they do determines your available MOS.

Also find out their deployment record history. If it's a unit that gets deployed a lot, you may find your schooling interrupted indefinitely.

As an example:
Most likely, there is a transportation unit nearby (truck drivers.) Not only do they need drivers, but they have a motor pool and need mechanics. Most units will also have at least one office position MOS, a supply position MOS, an armorer (maintains the rifles and such), and an NBC (nuclear biological chemical) person. NG transportation units get called up a lot (go to warzones to transport ammunition and supplies...)

Post Note: There is an Air National Guard unit in the Detroit area that has the following in their fact sheet:
"The 127th Medical Group, which provides for the combat readiness of the wing and provides a variety of medical support
capabilities to the Air Force. The 127th MDG includes the 127th Medical Operations Flight and the 127th Medical Support
Flight."

Last edited by CtrlEsc; 07-19-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM

55 posts, read 113,650 times
You said being a veteran would help. I didn't think you were considered a veteran if you were only in the gaurd?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,642,117 times
http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/...andreserve.pdf
Quote:
Generally, all National Guard and Reserve members
discharged or released under conditions that are
not dishonorable are eligible for some VA benefits.
The length of your service, service commitment
and/or your duty status may determine your
eligibility for specific benefits.
and

http://www.stripes.com/reserve-and-g...erans-1.378515
MILITARY UPDATE
Reserve and Guard retirees close to becoming ‘veterans’
By Tom Philpott
Special to Stars and Stripes
Published: November 12, 2015

Quote:
On the eve of Veterans Day, the Senate passed a bill with language to grant “honorary” veteran status to as many as 200,000 Reserve and National Guard retirees — those not deemed veterans now because they lack a qualifying period of active service under federal orders.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:30 AM

29,478 posts, read 22,503,445 times
Maybe something in supply?

Infantry is always a good choice for being a cop.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,554,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgc View Post
You said being a veteran would help. I didn't think you were considered a veteran if you were only in the gaurd?

Normally you would not be considered a veteran if you were in the National Guard. If you are activated for federal service, it is possible to be considered a veteran, but a determination would have to be made. I was activated for 14 months for service in Afghanistan. I don't know it that would that be enough for veteran status or not. In my case, it's a moot point, as my six years in the Marine Corps already made me a veteran.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM

324 posts, read 385,838 times
You might also consider the Air National Guard. Closest location is likely to be Selfridge ANGB in Harrison Charter Township, about 20 miles north of Detroit. Benefits are similar to the Army National Guard and they may also provide educational assistance. As a former Air Guardsman, I think working conditions and promotion opportunities may also be better in general in the ANG, but this varies from unit to unit, and from MOS (or AFSC for the ANG) as well.

walessp

Old 07-21-2016, 07:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,262,551 times
Disclaimer: I'm biased. I did 20 yrs Air Guard (after 9yrs active MC).

I can say I've worked with the Army Reserves as a civilian and, while duly impressed with the professionalism of the Army, after all the bad things I've heard about them, I will always recommend the Air Force over the Army, guard, reserve or otherwise.

I've never heard of going in as a nurse (officer) without a degree or being an RN. Oh wait. You're choosing what to work towards in school. Police officer doesn't exactly require a degree, does it?

Well, best wishes, whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues