Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

51 posts, read 327,970 times

Advertisements

I'm 21 and am REALLY trying to join the military. I'm mostly interested in the Navy but if I can't join the Navy then my second choice would be the Army. But, before I can even think about ACTUALLY joining now I have an issue that I need some advice on. I have 2 felonies that were committed when I was 16. One was committed in high school, I called myself a gang member but I was really a wannabe. I got into a fight with a rival gang member and got arrested, when the school police searched me they found a bandanna and 2 small razor blades (THE RAZOR BLADES WERE NOT USED IN THE FIGHT), I was charged with a felony and expelled from school, did 2 weeks in a RYDC and then completed about 4 months of probation and some community service along with a mentoring program. The next incident was when I was attending alternative school, one night me and a fellow classmate decided to try to steal a car. We were not successful. He got away and I got caught by the police trying to run. I was arrested and did 2 months at a military camp. After that I went back to school and completed the 10th grade then left school, went back recently and completed my GED and am now trying to enroll in a community college to earn 15 college credits so I can enlist in the Navy (if not Navy then the Army). I haven't been in trouble with the law since then. I have my head on straight and am really ready to make something out of myself, I'm very bright and full of potential I just need a push and a opportunity to shine since I did not have a father growing up to help me in my manhood and I really think the military can give me that. But, am I wasting my time going to get the credits? Will the military accept me in if I have two expunged felonies and have been clean since then? I was a minor at the time, does that help my situation at all? Am I eligible for a waiver? I've heard that the military doesn't care your record was expunged or not, how does that affect me? Will getting the college credits help me with obtaining a waiver and getting accepted in the Navy? What are my chances of getting a waiver and joining the Navy, if I'm not able to join the Navy what are the chances of getting into the Army? If not the Army what about the Coast Guard or other branches? Thanks.

P.S. I'm in good shape already too if that matters at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 02:00 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
walk into a recruiter. all they can say is no. if you don't walk in, they can't say yes. be truthful.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
f.2 gave good advice. Go talk to a recruiter. Actually, go to all of them.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM

I called Navy, Army and Marine recruiters (I didn't try the Air Force because that would have been a futile attempt) and they all said the same thing. I can't join because of the felony plus the misdemeanor, the Army recruiter said if I would've just had the felony or just the misdemeanor they would've been able to get me a waiver of some sort. But anyways thanks guys guess it's the college road and working two tedious jobs for me. I wish I really hadn't have messed up in high school because the military would have been perfect for me.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Hey guys I was wondering what if I went back to the juvenile courts and I got the charges dismissed or something, would the Navy or Army take me in then? Is getting the charges dismissed even possible? If so what would I have to do to get the charges dismissed?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
First was any of this as a adult? if not then your juvenile record is sealed when you become a adult and it takes a judge's order to open it. Second if a adult and you say its expunded. Sounds like a unadjudicated sentence which means never final conviction because of no sentence and should not reportable with record check by authorities.The law is very strict on complete criminal history check such this and with no final sentence( adjudication) it should not by penalty of law be released.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM

@ Texdav - No, all of this was when I was 16.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM

What about the National Guard and Coast Guard? I'm thinking since the national guard is run by the state I might have a better chance of getting in. What do you guys say?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,990 times
The National Guard has the same standards as the Army or Air Force depending on which branch you apply for. They are both state and federal so they have to have the same standards as the regular Army or Air Force.

Did you actually seek an expungement of the records? You would have hired an attorney and petitioned the court to have the records expunged. This costs quite a bit of money. Most people think it happens automatically but it does not. Also, what state was it in? Some states don’t expunge certain records and some states (CA and MI off the top of my head plus some others) don’t have true expungements; they only seal the records.

Unfortunately the military is one of the few employers that can hold a juvenile record against you. Civilian employers cannot do that.

My suggestion for you would be to complete a degree and get a good job. There is nothing wrong with not serving your community. With your background and life experience you could do a lot to help your community and kids who are in the same situation you were. In my opinion that is far better than joining the military.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
I am an Air Force recruiter. For us, it doesn't matter one iota of the charges were dismissed. You have to be found NOT GUILTY. It's too late for that to happen. Not sure about the other branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues