Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

I served 5 years in the military, attained the rank of corporal and did my stints overseas. I jumped from planes in the dark black of the night, was spit at, stabbed and shot at. When I left the service I had two children and a wife. That's when things really got bad, I figured, "Okay", I have some service time behind me...what now. Well maybe a jail guard would be a good job. Nope. Hardware store... not. It went on and on turned down at every opportunity I could not get a job to save my life. The look of disappointment on my wife's face as time after time I was turned down. The employers that did gave a reason said, "No experience, sorry." Finally a job...serving tables in a bar. But it was a job. My father once said to me when I was a boy in school, there are winners and there are looser's. I never knew what that meant until I left the service. Life has not been great but we managed... thanks. I did enjoy serving my country I felt like a winner. So when your vets come home, and leave the service remember, they need a job and may not have the experience you require but they can be trained, after all they where trained to protect you and your freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
Probie, you will find that nobody cares out here. Sorry, just the way it is.
As a fellow service member, I wish it was different. It isn't. Thank You, you are just another joe blow off the street, who did you say you were, again?
However, as one service member to another, Hi, glad to meet ya.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 PM

You are correct about that and I found out the hard way. I am reminded of a story about a young man that went off to war. I am paraphrasing her, when he was home on leave and went to the bar it was, "Johnny, pull up a chair let me buy you a drink.", "Johnny let me buy you lunch." Johnny this and Johnny that. Then after the war it was, "Johnny this and Johnny that, kick him out the bum!"
Glad to meet you as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Use the VA, did you take the GI Bill? Do you have your education (college degree)?

And more importantly do you know about website?

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefi...enefits.portal

If you are not using what you have, you need to be.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks but unfortunately I am a Canadian. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Post Vietnam veterans are treated much better, IMO.

Maybe it was the guilt from the way that Vietnam vets were treated, I don't know.

But the OIF and OEF guys are treated pretty well.

I've had lunch/dinner paid for at restaurants from anonymous strangers. Few weeks ago, a group of us went to Olive Garden for lunch. When we asked for our checks, the waitress said, "Oh, a customer paid for it already and left. She said to thank you for your service." At first, we looked at each other like which on you is playing a joke on us... Then we realized she wasn't joking and got a look because there were 12 of us. We left the waitress a tip, though.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Slapping a dumb ribbon on the back of your car is NOT *thanking veterans or active military*.
Saying, it to a vet or active Serviceman, is what works !

Doing anything, but slapping on that ribbon works.
Dumb ribbon ? Yes, it is bad for your car !

Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM

I could not agree with you more irman.... dumbest thing I have ever seen. I have volunteered to sell poppies over the years and when you have someone look you in the eyes and I mean in the eyes and say, "Thank You," you know they mean and that just makes my day.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probie887 View Post
when you have someone look you in the eyes and I mean in the eyes and say, "Thank You," you know they mean and that just makes my day.
We as vets, get discounts at many places, but you have to ask for it !
So almost always, at those places who do give us the discount,
they almost always tell us : *Thank you for your service*
I always answer with: *Thank you for remembering*

Old 09-21-2013, 04:15 PM

That's nice irman... makes it all worth while, "Thank you for your service," way better than a beat up old ribbon on a car. I think you have nicer things down there as far as discounts go, up here you pretty much have to live in a large urban area to receive discounts and they are only through the presentation of a legion card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues