U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 PM

98 posts, read 547,375 times

Advertisements

I mean, does it affect Army branch selection if you graduate from ROTC? I'll be an SMP hopefully for the better

If you'll graduate from ROTC, would you re-take the ASVAB if you scored a low 50 AFQT with 110 GT? I only have a bachelors degree right now in 'Marketing' , wondering if long term affects me for Army advance schools or beneficial long term Army stuff I might want from National Guard or active Army..don't know what'll happen 2 years from now so..what do you think?

Hoping ROTC scores, how I do in camp, my PT and PMS recommendations will be deciding factors in branching and NOT my enlisted ASVAB scores as an ROTC cadet.

Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Default My thinking..

I can't imagine getting a master degree in finance and project management with a 50 AFQT and a board saying; "Hey, look at this guy, his composite ASVAB scores average was in the 90's and he only got a 112 GT" does this guy deserve to branch 'quatermaster', 'signal' or 'infantry'.

Even if 'Infantry' should be the least I believe I should be put into, since it seems to be the biggest branch (feel free to correct me, yes!) a newly recruiter cadet should get his feet wet in a particular strength like "finance" if it's his strength (even if I hate staying in an office for many hours), if I was Army making the decision I'll test the waters with a guy with a resume like me in a quatermaster, armor, corps of engineers, transportation branch.

Viewing it as a business man, like I am. The Army is likely to view me as a dime a dozen ROTC cadet right now in my view as I don't know Arabic/Mandarin or have added skills the Army could humongously use to really go out their way by telling me 'tell me what you want and I'll make it happen', so wondering if my ASVAB score now influences a bit decision wise even when I'll join ROTC as an SMP.

Seems to me like I'd be a candidate for "Infantry" even if I am likely to have a PT badge with a 270+ score as of now, being multilingual with spanish/Italian as well and seeing myself in a good position with my ROTC mentors. Always getting ahead of myself, but I love the planning and I love this..what do you think?

Old 09-27-2013, 03:16 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I can't imagine getting a master degree in finance and project management with a 50 AFQT and a board saying; "Hey, look at this guy, his composite ASVAB scores average was in the 90's and he only got a 112 GT" does this guy deserve to branch 'quatermaster', 'signal' or 'infantry'.

Even if 'Infantry' should be the least I believe I should be put into, since it seems to be the biggest branch (feel free to correct me, yes!) a newly recruiter cadet should get his feet wet in a particular strength like "finance" if it's his strength (even if I hate staying in an office for many hours), if I was Army making the decision I'll test the waters with a guy with a resume like me in a quatermaster, armor, corps of engineers, transportation branch.

Viewing it as a business man, like I am. The Army is likely to view me as a dime a dozen ROTC cadet right now in my view as I don't know Arabic/Mandarin or have added skills the Army could humongously use to really go out their way by telling me 'tell me what you want and I'll make it happen', so wondering if my ASVAB score now influences a bit decision wise even when I'll join ROTC as an SMP.

Seems to me like I'd be a candidate for "Infantry" even if I am likely to have a PT badge with a 270+ score as of now, being multilingual with spanish/Italian as well and seeing myself in a good position with my ROTC mentors. Always getting ahead of myself, but I love the planning and I love this..what do you think?
ASVAB and GT doesn't impact you AT ALL. Don't worry about it.

The model right now for accessions is primarily GPA, PMS ranking, LDAC performance, PT score, and activities during college like part-time job or color guard. All that other junk you talked about, nobody human sits there and looks at your record-it is extremely automated and based on a numerical score calculated off those things I mentioned and where you stand on the resulting order of merit list.

For active, where your numerical score places you in relation to your classmates, the order YOU put branches down, and the order every other cadet puts them down, impacts who is awarded what branch. The dynamics change every year, but generally Infantry, MI, and Aviation are the 3 most requested branches for active duty by a wide margin. Quartermaster, Ordnance, Chemical, Transportation are the 4 least requested branches.

For reserve forces, it is much simpler for most: find a unit with a slot and get them to accept you, you've found your branch.

By the way, a 270 PT is relatively low for an active Infantry officer unless you are coming off a fairly major injury. You would get eaten alive in that branch with that kind of performance as a matter of course.

EDIT: language also impacts in a fairly minor way. Italian is only marginally useful, and Spanish, while useful, is spoken as a native language by a pretty large number of soldiers-it's not something the Army goes out of its way to recruit. It is looking for 'strategic languages'-things like Chinese, Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Korean, and unexpectedly but obvious when you think about it, French.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
ASVAB and GT doesn't impact you AT ALL. Don't worry about it.

The model right now for accessions is primarily GPA, PMS ranking, LDAC performance, PT score, and activities during college like part-time job or color guard. All that other junk you talked about, nobody human sits there and looks at your record-it is extremely automated and based on a numerical score calculated off those things I mentioned and where you stand on the resulting order of merit list.

For active, where your numerical score places you in relation to your classmates, the order YOU put branches down, and the order every other cadet puts them down, impacts who is awarded what branch. The dynamics change every year, but generally Infantry, MI, and Aviation are the 3 most requested branches for active duty by a wide margin. Quartermaster, Ordnance, Chemical, Transportation are the 4 least requested branches.

For reserve forces, it is much simpler for most: find a unit with a slot and get them to accept you, you've found your branch.

By the way, a 270 PT is relatively low for an active Infantry officer unless you are coming off a fairly major injury. You would get eaten alive in that branch with that kind of performance as a matter of course.

EDIT: language also impacts in a fairly minor way. Italian is only marginally useful, and Spanish, while useful, is spoken as a native language by a pretty large number of soldiers-it's not something the Army goes out of its way to recruit. It is looking for 'strategic languages'-things like Chinese, Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Korean, and unexpectedly but obvious when you think about it, French.
Surely sounds like it comes from the horse mouth..great info men. If someone is interested in becoming a Civil Affairs officer, an intelligent guess would be add Arabic to my training (sounds quite nice) and try to branch in Infantry. Thinking about it, getting into a heavily branch/competitive branch won't matter much as long as those of us interested being out of an office, get to be out of an office! I really thought Infantry was the easiest to get into as it's the biggest branch in the Army, then I also thought that the Army won't risk putting a new commissioned officer with enlisted soldiers with 2-4 deployments getting out of ROTC, surprises surprises as usual. Good to know it's among the most competitive branches to get into. Lots of great value as usual

Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,147,937 times
How are you going to do ROTC if you already have a degree?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
How are you going to do ROTC if you already have a degree?
With a Master Degree in concentration in both project management and finance concentration under 2 years from the University of Phoenix in Guaynabo campus here at Puerto Rico. The surprising cost from the accredited college, $17,250 for 1 master degree in project management. Only takes 18 classes, 1 class every week for 6 weeks straight to finish and one MBA is finished in 1 year and a half. Since the requirement is 2 years I'll finish in 2 years with 2 concentrations as an SMP!!

So most of us that qualify have 2 year of post-graduate studies with ROTC without scholarship option which is fine with me. Scholarship is until age 31 with waivers, I didn't qualified for waivers as I was on the cut off, so I go without scholarship option and I am 31 years old.

Hooah

Of course, lots to fix on my end with credit and a couple of challenging stuff, but nothing I can't resolve on my end within 2 years to commission by experience thanks to the info received today. Still so many questions man.

By the way, just in case, you can commission at 39 with waivers as 1st lieutenant from ROTC as of today and up to 34 without waivers. It came directly from the horse mouth in ROTC! Pretty cool, right

Old 09-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but be careful with UoP. The school is for profit and viewed as a joke by other Officers.

It won't affect your branching or commissioning, but you may be snobbed and treated differently by the ring knockers and the super intelligent type A types that are O's.

Officers are very cutthroat and judgmental at times.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,391,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
With a Master Degree in concentration in both project management and finance concentration under 2 years from the University of Phoenix in Guaynabo campus here at Puerto Rico. The surprising cost from the accredited college, $17,250 for 1 master degree in project management. Only takes 18 classes, 1 class every week for 6 weeks straight to finish and one MBA is finished in 1 year and a half. Since the requirement is 2 years I'll finish in 2 years with 2 concentrations as an SMP!!
It's not enough to just 'get a degree', although a graduate degree is possible to combine with ROTC. You have to get a degree at a school that ROTC is offered at, for 2 academic years, full time.

Someone is steering you wrong, because I'm 99.99% certain there are no UoP ROTC partners/affiliates in P.R.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM

24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Possibilities:

Many universities and colleges in the country offer an Army ROTC curriculum. Search ROTC programs and contact that school's Military Science department for more information on their particular program.
University of Puerto Rico - Mayaguez
University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras

Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 PM

Does Army ROTC have class requirements? I know that NROTC requires a year of calculus and calculus based physics.

I'm guessing the OP read about ROTC online and thinks that you can just join up and get commissioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or