U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
 
98 posts, read 544,820 times
Reputation: 45

Advertisements

I'm doing my usual diligence as usual for new planning phases as usual..

So what's all the fuss about being Airborne qualified and getting to graduate from Airborne school from the Army apart from the respectable and traditional pride that goes within the Army as an elite soldier and apart from being the cool dude wearing a badge?

My understanding..

- You only get to wear the badge when you're in an Airborne unit (I honestly could care less about being the cool guy with this badge as among the many reasons I already have 9 HALO jumps and graduated from skydiving school in P.R already)

- Branching Engineer Corps, Transportation, Finance or Civil Affairs <-> 3-4 years down in CA what's the benefit of it if you're unlikely to become branched in Infantry or be branched Infantry long term? What am I missing, what am I failing to see here?

- I understand Airborne provides added points for retirement benefits and better chances of promotion within the Army for enlisted personnel, but is it the same for officers in the Army?

- $1,000 one time incentive for being qualified (not sure if I am correct, correct me here)

- There have not been active Airborne Units it in the past 8 years according to a reputable source online ( an answer 5 years on another site by what seems to be a moderator) So does this mean no flying or jumping from planes for productive/meaningful work once trained if I am correct?

---------------------------

My view I'll be of better value to the Army as "Sapper" graduate (exciting seeing the attrition rate of 50%!) and/or getting the chance to visit VT Jay Peak will be nice and the Mountain Warfare extreme challenge especially at winter seems ideal for me as I've already dropped 24 pounds thanks in many ways to ruck running/walking with 65 pounds on my back thanks to the mountains feet away from my home..

Just respectfully looking for answers and trying to understand the continued trend and permanent buzz as it seems for Airborne school. After careful research yesterday branching as an Army officer from ROTC in the Corps of Engineers will be my main and top preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,080 posts, read 38,745,073 times
Reputation: 28044
Quote:
- There have not been active Airborne Units it in the past 8 years according to a reputable source online ( an answer 5 years on another site by what seems to be a moderator)

So does this mean no flying or jumping from planes for productive/meaningful work once trained if I am correct?
Moderators don't know everything.

FROM: Fort Bragg
Quote:
The 82nd Airborne Division is an active airborne infantry division of the United States Army specializing in parachute landing operations.
There are a lot of airborne qualified soldiers who are not on active jump status

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-28-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Never mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,630 posts, read 4,378,909 times
Reputation: 4213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
#1:
- You only get to wear the badge when you're in an Airborne unit (I honestly could care less about being the cool guy with this badge as among the many reasons I already have 9 HALO jumps and graduated from skydiving school in P.R already)

#2:
- Branching Engineer Corps, Transportation, Finance or Civil Affairs <-> 3-4 years down in CA what's the benefit of it if you're unlikely to become branched in Infantry or be branched Infantry long term? What am I missing, what am I failing to see here?

#3:
- I understand Airborne provides added points for retirement benefits and better chances of promotion within the Army for enlisted personnel, but is it the same for officers in the Army?

#4:
- $1,000 one time incentive for being qualified (not sure if I am correct, correct me here)

#5:
- There have not been active Airborne Units it in the past 8 years according to a reputable source online ( an answer 5 years on another site by what seems to be a moderator) So does this mean no flying or jumping from planes for productive/meaningful work once trained if I am correct?

---------------------------

#6:
My view I'll be of better value to the Army as "Sapper" graduate (exciting seeing the attrition rate of 50%!) and/or getting the chance to visit VT Jay Peak will be nice and the Mountain Warfare extreme challenge especially at winter seems ideal for me as I've already dropped 24 pounds thanks in many ways to ruck running/walking with 65 pounds on my back thanks to the mountains feet away from my home..
I added the numbers to address your questions.

#1:
Wrong, and few people in the Army really particularly care about number or type of civilian jumps.

#2:
I'm not sure what you're missing, because the question is incomprehensible.

#3:
No.

#4:
No.

#5:
You better start counting that reputable source as nonreputable. 82d, 173d, multiple SF Groups and other special operations forces such as Ranger Battalions, LRSD detachments, every single Parachute Rigger unit, etc., etc. are all on active jump status.

#6:
Only engineers go to Sapper school iirc. So you can't go Infantry or Finance or something, and attend/graduate Sapper school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM
 
175 posts, read 260,675 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
#5:
You better start counting that reputable source as nonreputable. 82d, 173d, multiple SF Groups and other special operations forces such as Ranger Battalions, LRSD detachments, every single Parachute Rigger unit, etc., etc. are all on active jump status.

#6:
Only engineers go to Sapper school iirc. So you can't go Infantry or Finance or something, and attend/graduate Sapper school.
Active duty Special Operations PSYOP and Civil Affairs can also be included in those who are on active jump status. To the OP, we may not usually be jumping into locations anymore (though it can still happen at times) but that doesn't mean we never will so it helps to have Soldiers qualified and ready should it happen (and Special Operations Soldiers especially may find themselves in those situations).

In reference to Sapper school, maybe it used to be only open for engineers but it is currently open to any MOS provided they meet the rank and other requirements. I know both a medic and a mechanic who have gone. Priority for a spot goes to engineer, cavalry, and infantry Soldiers but any MOS can put in a packet for acceptance and depending on the slots they may get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
437 posts, read 573,501 times
Reputation: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I'm doing my usual diligence as usual for new planning phases as usual..

So what's all the fuss about being Airborne qualified and getting to graduate from Airborne school from the Army apart from the respectable and traditional pride that goes within the Army as an elite soldier and apart from being the cool dude wearing a badge?
That's a lot of 'usuals' for one sentence...

12 years on jump status here, so let me clear up some misconceptions, although GeorgiaTransplant seems to be pretty spot on.

Once you graduate from the school, you are eligible to wear the badge regardless of assignment. It can be taken away if you refuse to jump during an airborne operation, but if I'm not mistaken, once you've been on jump status for a certain amount of time, the badge becomes permanent. You only wear the maroon beret and airborne tab when you are in an airborne unit (combat patch excluded, of course).

There is no retirement bonus, although years of jumping may cause or aggravate conditions that will make you eligible for partial disability with the VA. (May, not certainly will)

There have been enlistment incentives for airborne offering bonuses in certain MOSes in the past, but I'm not sure of any right now offering $1,000 off the top just to go to jump school. I would doubt it, but ask a recruiter. You will get an extra $150/month for being on jump status, in an airborne unit as long as you perform the required jumps (including while you are in jump school). HALO jumpers in a HALO assignment get more ($225/month, I believe).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 PM
 
1,400 posts, read 2,138,898 times
Reputation: 1404
This guy seems to be obsessing about joining the Army after attending University of Phoenix. Honestly OP, concentrate on getting a commission first. It's not as easy as your making it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 07:40 PM
 
98 posts, read 544,820 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
This guy seems to be obsessing about joining the Army after attending University of Phoenix. Honestly OP, concentrate on getting a commission first. It's not as easy as your making it out to be.
I'm not obsessive, not joining the Yankees, I intend to risk my life and likely in return get bullets for serving my country, so just enthusiastic as I don't want to waste resources or slot/opening I don't need in ROTC, among others. Also correction, I never said ANYTHING in this forum to be easy with the military. My apologies if that's your perception of it. Thanks for your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
That's a lot of 'usuals' for one sentence...

12 years on jump status here, so let me clear up some misconceptions, although GeorgiaTransplant seems to be pretty spot on.

Once you graduate from the school, you are eligible to wear the badge regardless of assignment. It can be taken away if you refuse to jump during an airborne operation, but if I'm not mistaken, once you've been on jump status for a certain amount of time, the badge becomes permanent. You only wear the maroon beret and airborne tab when you are in an airborne unit (combat patch excluded, of course).

There is no retirement bonus, although years of jumping may cause or aggravate conditions that will make you eligible for partial disability with the VA. (May, not certainly will)

There have been enlistment incentives for airborne offering bonuses in certain MOSes in the past, but I'm not sure of any right now offering $1,000 off the top just to go to jump school. I would doubt it, but ask a recruiter. You will get an extra $150/month for being on jump status, in an airborne unit as long as you perform the required jumps (including while you are in jump school). HALO jumpers in a HALO assignment get more ($225/month, I believe).
Very useful! Thanks for all you that responded as well. God amount of details to bring up later on

Quote:
- You only get to wear the badge when you're in an Airborne unit (I honestly could care less about being the cool guy with this badge as among the many reasons I already have 9 HALO jumps and graduated from skydiving school in P.R already)
I'll definitely edit from now on. My statement could have been seen a bit offensive, what I meant to say was that I already have HALO jumps experience and skydiving certification and found my civilian HALO jumps weren't that big of a deal like other adventures. So had to ask. I know, just in case so I can sleep well as always!

Last edited by Joaco; 09-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Added a confirmation, could've been seen incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 08:14 PM
 
1,400 posts, read 2,138,898 times
Reputation: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I'm not obsessive, not joining the Yankees, I intend to risk my life and likely in return get bullets for serving my country, so just enthusiastic as I don't want to waste resources or slot/opening I don't need in ROTC, among others. Also correction, I never said ANYTHING in this forum to be easy with the military. My apologies if that's your perception of it. Thanks for your time.
I honestly don't think you understand how hard it is to get a commission in the military. On top of that, once you sign on the dotted line, you no longer have a say in where the military sends you.

You're signing (or trying to) to be a US Army Officer. Not airborne, not SF, not Infantry or finance or quartermaster. Officer. Officer first. MOS second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,625 posts, read 13,959,296 times
Reputation: 18666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
I'm doing my usual diligence as usual for new planning phases as usual..

So what's all the fuss about being Airborne qualified and getting to graduate from Airborne school from the Army apart from the respectable and traditional pride that goes within the Army as an elite soldier and apart from being the cool dude wearing a badge?

My understanding..

- You only get to wear the badge when you're in an Airborne unit (I honestly could care less about being the cool guy with this badge as among the many reasons I already have 9 HALO jumps and graduated from skydiving school in P.R already)

- Branching Engineer Corps, Transportation, Finance or Civil Affairs <-> 3-4 years down in CA what's the benefit of it if you're unlikely to become branched in Infantry or be branched Infantry long term? What am I missing, what am I failing to see here?

- I understand Airborne provides added points for retirement benefits and better chances of promotion within the Army for enlisted personnel, but is it the same for officers in the Army?

- $1,000 one time incentive for being qualified (not sure if I am correct, correct me here)

- There have not been active Airborne Units it in the past 8 years according to a reputable source online ( an answer 5 years on another site by what seems to be a moderator) So does this mean no flying or jumping from planes for productive/meaningful work once trained if I am correct?

---------------------------

My view I'll be of better value to the Army as "Sapper" graduate (exciting seeing the attrition rate of 50%!) and/or getting the chance to visit VT Jay Peak will be nice and the Mountain Warfare extreme challenge especially at winter seems ideal for me as I've already dropped 24 pounds thanks in many ways to ruck running/walking with 65 pounds on my back thanks to the mountains feet away from my home..

Just respectfully looking for answers and trying to understand the continued trend and permanent buzz as it seems for Airborne school. After careful research yesterday branching as an Army officer from ROTC in the Corps of Engineers will be my main and top preference.
Since you are asking legit questions, my guestion to you would be WHAT will your degree be in??? If it is some liberal arts degree, you can forget it. If it is an engineering/mathematics/medical degree, you are MUCH more likely to get a commission with the current drawdown of levels required of all the branches of the military. Folks seem to forget, the general population (less than 1% of the US pop EVER serve in uniform!) expect a "freeze dried" military right now (and congress has proved that with all the budget cuts and drawdown demands from all branches of the Armed Services)...the kind you can refuse to pay for, keep trained, keep ready for action. They want the one that you draw down to the bare bones stick in the corner when "not needed" and just add water to and expect them to be fully trained, competent and ready to protect and defend with their lives without having to PAY for full time. Sad, sad, sad....but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 06:54 PM
 
98 posts, read 544,820 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Since you are asking legit questions, my guestion to you would be WHAT will your degree be in??? If it is some liberal arts degree, you can forget it. If it is an engineering/mathematics/medical degree, you are MUCH more likely to get a commission with the current drawdown of levels required of all the branches of the military. Folks seem to forget, the general population (less than 1% of the US pop EVER serve in uniform!) expect a "freeze dried" military right now (and congress has proved that with all the budget cuts and drawdown demands from all branches of the Armed Services)...the kind you can refuse to pay for, keep trained, keep ready for action. They want the one that you draw down to the bare bones stick in the corner when "not needed" and just add water to and expect them to be fully trained, competent and ready to protect and defend with their lives without having to PAY for full time. Sad, sad, sad....but true.
It won't hurt to get more opinions

MBA in Finance concentration and a second concentration(MBA) in Project Management (only 5 classes more, so it won't hurt!). Tomorrow I'll see ROTC opinions on this as well, your opinion like everyone else that spares there 2 cents is very welcome. Your comments are surely scary, good to read another good view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top