U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 12,051 times

Advertisements

I am calling on the wisdom and experience of all the Navy wives out there!

My husband is currently at A-School in San Antonio to become a general corpsman (he's not selecting FMF or a C-School at this time - that's an argument for another forum, this is strictly about locations).

He will be submitting his dream sheet for his first duty station in a few weeks and we are at a total loss of what he should request.

We want to stay CONUS and most definitely somewhere that has all four seasons (absolutely no Florida or California).

He has a degree in exercise science and as of his first couple of weeks he is positioned to be at or near the top of his class, meaning he will most likely get at least one of his dream sheet locations.

So, what locations can you recommend for us? I want him to be somewhere that will help him get a full sampling of corpsman responsibilities but also somewhere that we can affordably live and where I can find a marketing job.

We do NOT have children (and do not plan on having any) so schools and all that business is not a factor.

Obviously, we are both brand new to the Navy and any tips or tricks you can recommend for selecting his first duty station would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Navy Newbie
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
Just some general info here.

I am not a Navy wife but lets just say I know just a little bit here. Most of the corpsman that I have been in contact with are going to Lejeune and San Diego. But you said that he has not complete FMTB so he most likely will not get either locations. I'm thinking that he may end up having to pick orders from places like Great Lakes, Bremerton, the VA/DC/MD area, etc. Great Lakes is cold and the VA/DC/MD area can be expensive. I'm not terribly familiar with Bremerton.

Btw, I also have a degree in exercise science. The job market is tough in the field at this time. That said please don't let his degree go to waste and I am sure he is most likely eyeing a spot as an officer. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Four seasons? hmm.

Kittery is nice. An old base, but in a very nice region.
Groton can be nice, though more expensive [not as expensive as VA/DC].
Whidbey/Everett/Bremerton is really nice.

When we have been to each of these, none of them had enough housing to provide any more than 20% of the families with base-housing. So be prepared to live off-base. We really liked the PNW.

Also think about Europe; Italy [a couple bases there], UK, Greece, etc. There are many great places to live that are OUTUS. Also some OUTUS locations may still count as sea-duty for some rates. [Because they carry strong negative reputations. Thing is with some of them, once you get there you might fall in love with the area. In which case, since they count as sea-duty, you can make a career staying there. Since they count as sea-duty. I did a tour in Naples, and I saw sailors who rotated between Naples, Gaeta, and Vicenza, for 20 years. They totally loved it. When Scotland was open, I did a tour there. It had a completely negative reputation. But we loved it, and we saw a bunch of sailors there who were doing back-to-back tours there.]

His dream sheet will have selections for shore-duty and for sea-duty. But the only way that he will really get much choice will be if he can rank high in his class.

I did 20-years, and I never got any place that was on my dream sheet. When I finished school,
there was 10 of us, and 10 sets of orders. The #1 ranked student could take his choice from among those orders. Then the #2 student could choose from what remained. I was fourth and I chose from what was available to me. And so on.

Good luck

Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 AM

193 posts, read 315,214 times
Several years ago, the Point Mugu Naval Air Station (NAS) (with older medical facilities) and the Construction Battalion Center (CBC) were combined on paper as the Naval Base Ventura County (NBVC) (with newer medical facilities) here in California. Next to the NAS, the California Air National Guard built it's new base. Naval Surface Warfare Center is located on CBC and is adjoining the harbor of Port Hueneme, CA. There is a lot of military here.

In the winter you can sit on a sunny beach and see snow capped mountains as high as 8Kft on 30 miles away (and even drive there if so inclined). Those mountains to the north are the Las Padres National Park. Those mountains to the south are the Santa Monica mountains and not so high. Skiing in Big Bear, CA, is only an 8 hour drive away.

All this is half way between LA air port (LAX) and Santa Barbara (70 miles). This place was great shore duty for this old sailor.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 AM

3,265 posts, read 4,774,771 times
If you get a chance to go to Rota, Spain, run don't walk... Will be 3 of the best years of your life.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,147,937 times
No Florida or California leaves only a few options. Small inland bases, Washington State, DC/VA and CT. It really depends on what his career goals are.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 AM

3,265 posts, read 4,774,771 times
I just saw your thing about marketing,

Great lakes would be #1 in my book then if you want a marketing job, you could live halfway between the loop and northern suburbs and commute easily to the loop.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,192,017 times
The heck with living in the states. Tell him to ask for (1)Yokosuka Japan, (2), Atsugi Japan, (3). Sasebo Japan.

Living overseas is great and Japan is the best duty in the Navy.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Navy wife-to-be, here, although I met my fiance when he was already 11 years in and a CPO, so I didn't go through any of the early stuff with him, didn't even know him during his Chief's induction, met him right afterward. So while it's new for me, he's a seasoned pro. We recently relocated to Great Lakes where he's on an instructor's billet, and if I weren't a Northern Illinois native from way back, I'd be squawking about the cold, for sure. We have all four seasons, here, but we do seem to be entering into wintry conditions a touch early this year.

Adjacent to Chicago is a decent enough place for a spouse, professionally, but if you're on base, you're NOT close to the city center itself. You're actually as close to downtown Milwaukee as you are downtown Chicago. The northern burbs would be doable, though, jobwise. To really avail yourself of work in Chicago, proper, you'd have to live further south from Great Lakes than might be convenient for your spouse. I know my fiance would be greatly inconvenienced due to his job by us not living adjacent to the base, in family housing. I'm a teacher by training (most recently), and my certificate is not for Illinois, but for the state I've lived and worked in the past half-dozen years, so I'm looking to take some time off that, possibly go back to school.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,875 times
Default FTS corpsman

My wife is in the Navy and I was wondering since she's FTS where can she go to with FTS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues