Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,847 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My girlfriend wants to go in the military. She'd like to join the AF (I'm enlisted), but she got a DUI about 5 years ago. She blew a .09 (.08 is the limit). I'm told that she should have gotten a lawyer and got it knocked down, but she opted to take responsibility and faced the consequences.

Fast forward five years and here we are. Is there anything she can do to increase her chances? She's never been in any other trouble and this is what she wants to do. Also, if the USAF turns her down, does anyone have any idea if she'd fare better with another service?

We haven't talked to a recruiter yet and she's focused on studying for the ASVAB. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
She can probably get a waiver right now, we are actually struggling for applicants. I'm a recruiting supervisor, and I could get a 5 year old DUI with no injuries approved without an issue IF she were willing to take any job to get into the Air Force. That's are litmus test. Does she want to be an AIRMAN in the GREATEST Air Force on Earth? Then she has to agree to go in Open Mech, do fuels, or pest management, or any other job. That would be the condition to get the waiver. She needs to soul search and see if she's down with that to get in.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
She can probably get a waiver right now, we are actually struggling for applicants. I'm a recruiting supervisor, and I could get a 5 year old DUI with no injuries approved without an issue IF she were willing to take any job to get into the Air Force. That's are litmus test. Does she want to be an AIRMAN in the GREATEST Air Force on Earth? Then she has to agree to go in Open Mech, do fuels, or pest management, or any other job. That would be the condition to get the waiver. She needs to soul search and see if she's down with that to get in.
What if she aces the ASVAB? Cat 1? Would the AF make somebody who quals for, say the Navy nuke program, be a pest control tech? Because she had a DUI?

I'm not trying to pick a fight--I'm truly curious.

--

Old 07-10-2016, 01:33 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
What if she aces the ASVAB? Cat 1? Would the AF make somebody who quals for, say the Navy nuke program, be a pest control tech? Because she had a DUI?

--
There are honestly probably sufficient ASVAB-acing, Cat 1 recruits who did NOT have a DUI that should get the most sought after positions.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM

273 posts, read 209,317 times
I'm not surprised that the AF is having trouble getting people.

I separated a few months ago and things are very dire.

Too much PC nonsense and A LOT of suicides. My base was averaging one suicide a month.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:29 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
There are honestly probably sufficient ASVAB-acing, Cat 1 recruits who did NOT have a DUI that should get the most sought after positions.
Let's wait to hear from the actual AF recruiter.....

--

Old 07-10-2016, 08:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Let's wait to hear from the actual AF recruiter.....

--
Okay. Just to be clear-I served a multi decade career in the Army, including writing exactly the kind of waivers (for arrests and DUIs in order to enlist) you were curious about. What I responded with was my reasonng when drafting the rationale for support or non support of otherwise qualified candidates who had legal issues. Just a suggestion: perhaps you should take it to PMs or mention if you want to limit responses to certain people only. Otherwise general message boards are usually considered wide open.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 AM

273 posts, read 209,317 times
Quote:
Okay. Just to be clear-I served a multi decade career in the Army, including writing exactly the kind of waivers (for arrests and DUIs in order to enlist) you were curious about. What I responded with was my reasonng when drafting the rationale for support or non support of otherwise qualified candidates who had legal issues. Just a suggestion: perhaps you should take it to PMs or mention if you want to limit responses to certain people only. Otherwise general message boards are usually considered wide open.
Enough said.

We should have a minimum IQ requirement for this thread.

Just kidding. Love you Army guys.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Actually, not anymore. We raised our age limit to 40, lowered our minimum ASVAB score to 32, and are actually approving DUI waivers, whereas a few years ago you had to have a 50 ASVAB, be under 27, and couldn't even have a shoplifting ticket from age 14.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:

--
It depends on the recruiting commander in the area. My squadron commander requires them to be willing to take anything. Someone with a DUI is NOT qualified to join, and can't join, unless the commander signs off on a waiver. That's my commander's condition for the waiver. Many commanders have that as a condition, some do not. So, it's best to talk to your local recruiter.

My commander would not hesitate to make someone with a 99 ASVAB Pest management if we needed someone to fill it, had no volunteers, and the person had a waiver (Remember, waiver= NOT actually qualified to join without an exception).

Someone with a 99 ASVAB and a DUI is LESS qualified for Pest management than someone with a 45 ASVAB and no DUI. The person with a DUI is not qualified for any job without the waiver.

If job "X" as a minimum score of say, 32, on the ASVAB, the person with the 32 and the person with the 99 are both qualified. We don't care about degrees of qualification. Qualified is qualified. A DUI makes one NOT qualified for any job.

Make sense? It's harsh, I know.

Perhaps the OP will get lucky and will be in an area where the commander is more easy going, but could also be in the area where the commander will disapprove the DUI waiver... it's all commander's discretion. We have 24 squadron commander's within recruiting, and many are on the same page with this process, but you have a few outliers. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues