U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,797,209 times

Advertisements

I had a senior airman tell me something once that seems to have proven true over the years -

When the air force builds a new base, the first thing budgeted are quarters for officers and enlisted, along with all of the things they need to live and entertain themselves. That is so, if there's a shortfall, they can ask more funds to build the runways and the facilities to maintain the aircraft.

This still appears to be true to day as the vast majority of new buildings at Nellis and Creech Air Force bases appear to be housing and other personnel related improvements - a carry over from the Bush years.
The next have been training and other aviation-related improvements.

I haven't been on an army installation since I retired in 1980 but I remember the troop housing to be much older and even antiquated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 PM

3,241 posts, read 4,571,993 times
I thought the Air Force budgeted the swimming pool and MWR first?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,485,660 times
Quote:
I thought the Air Force budgeted the swimming pool and MWR first?
I thought that about the Army too...

Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 AM

20,083 posts, read 11,142,800 times
There is an interesting quirk that tends to affect military budging in some strange ways: The Navy is required by the Constitution. Its existence is constitutionally guaranteed. The Army and Air Force actually have to be voted for every year.

That is a negative for housing, because Navy housing appropriations might go a decade between reviews, whereas everything is reviewed annually for the Air Force and Army. That's also why the Air Force and Army will get the same housing appropriation.

I remember the junior enlisted housing at Pearl Harbor in the 70s being really gruesome. It sucked big time. When I was back at Pearl Harbor in the 90s...nothing had been done to replace or rennovate it. It was really like a huge Third World slum.

Then whoever was in charge of the Pearl Public Works Center in the mid-90s decided to fall on his sword. The Secretary of the Navy visited Pearl with his wife, and the chief of the PWC took the secretary's wife on a tour of that housing.

She literally burst into tears. And then she paid visits to her husband and the senators from Hawaii. "How could you let that happen!"

That was the fastest housing appropriation I ever saw fly through Congress and the Navy. They started tearing down and rebuilding within 90 days. But that's more possible in the Navy than the Air Force or the Army because of the constiutional provision.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Back in the early 60s, General Curtis LeMay was the CINC of the Strategic Air Command during the Cuban Missile Crisis. If you've ever seen "Dr Strangelove," George C Scott was basically playing Curtis LeMay.

He required SAC bombers and missle crews to be operationall 24/7. Planes were always flying. But to keep planes flying 24/7, the maintenance crews also had to work round-the-clock shifts.

That meant, for instance, the maintenance squadron troops in the open-bay barracks were constantly coming and going...and nobody got any sleep. This was generally not a problem for the Army, because Army platoons were usually either all awake or all asleep at the same time while in garrison.

So LeMay ordered funds spent to build barracks with two-man rooms so that people could get enough sleep to sustain 24/7 operations. And the rest of the Air Force went along with SAC.

Which is why the Air Force first got two-man rooms.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,546,901 times
The Air Force gets hardship pay for staying in Marine housing....

Just sayin...

Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 PM

11 posts, read 15,407 times
I have lived on Air Force, Navy and Army Bases throughout the world and I must say, the Air Force life is good. While I was in the Navy we used to joke that the Navy focused on building piers and docks the money left over was used for living quarters meanwhile the Air Force focused on living quarters and after running out of money requested more to build their flight lines. Even in Iraq, you tried to get to the Air Bases such as KRAB or Balad as opposed to the FOBs like Danger and Spyker. The Air Bases they argued about slurpee prices during security briefings instead of you know, security. It was as if you had to remind them that they were in the military. It was no wonder that we wouldn't allow them to go outside the wire.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The Air Force gets hardship pay for staying in Marine housing....

Just sayin...
That's actually true.

There is a cartoon that I saw in the early 90s...sure wish I could find it again.

Panel 1: A soldier sitting in a foxhole in the rain says forlornly, "This place sucks."

Panel 2: Marines are storming a beach under heavy fire. One shouts to the other, "I love how this place sucks!"

Panel 3: A sailor peers through a porthole at the Marines storming the beach and says, "Looks like that place sucks."

Panel 4: Two SEALs are up to their noses in an insect-infested swamp. One says to the other, "This place doesn't suck enough."

Panel 5: An airman sits in an overstuffed easy chair. A fan blows through his hair. He's holding an iced drink in one hand and a television remote in the other. He says, "What? No cable? This place sucks!"

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-26-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

9,871 posts, read 8,162,089 times
Love to play golf? Join the Air Force! I wonder if they pick a base location by how many golf courses they can build onsite.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:05 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,485,660 times
Quote:
That's actually true.

There is a cartoon that I saw in the early 90s...sure wish I could find it again.

Panel 1: A soldier sitting in a foxhole in the rain says forlornly, "This place sucks."

Panel 2: Marines are storming a beach under heavy fire. One shouts to the other, "I love how this place sucks!"

Panel 3: A sailor peers through a porthole at the Marines storming the beach and says, "Looks like that place sucks."

Panel 4: Two SEALs are up to their noses in an insect-infested swamp. One says to the other, "This place doesn't suck enough."

Panel 5: An airman sits in an overstuffed easy chair. A fan blows through his hair. He's holding an iced drink in one hand and a television remote in the other. He says, "What? No cable? This place sucks!"
...The softer one is the harder everything around them seems....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues