Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:48 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,150,610 times

Advertisements

The commissaries have started scanning id cards...they say it's to collect demographics on the personnel who shop there, so they can "better serve" them.

Personally, I don't like the idea. No one has ever scanned my id before, and I didn't know there was so much personal information available once they got that scan bar number.

They say they will only use the information to track our purchases, how far we travel, family size and status of the shopper (they also say it validates an authorized shopper.) The thing is, the computer with POS (the scanning system) can tell you what you want to know about purchases, a simple survey-ran for a month- can give you the other data - they don't need to have access to DEERS, in my opinion.

I find it interesting that the closure story and the id scan happened at the same time...are people afraid to lose the commissary unless they forfeit personal information?

Personally - I've registered my complaint and will not shop there until the scanning has been revoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 PM

185 posts, read 405,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
The thing is, the computer with POS (the scanning system).......
I literally spewed my coffee all over my keyboard when I read that acronym; whoever came up with that one really left it open for scorn and ridicule, hahahaha!!!

I personally don't have a problem with my ID being scanned at the commissary since it's scanned at the gate now as well. I am glad that they finally removed my SSAN from my ID, too.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Yours is getting scanned at the gate?!?! What base?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM

498 posts, read 977,472 times
Quote:
Yours is getting scanned at the gate?!?! What base?
Every base I've ever been on scans IDs on entry. What base are you at that doesn't?

Old 12-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Bangor Maine

Old 12-01-2013, 04:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
The commissaries have started scanning id cards...they say it's to collect demographics on the personnel who shop there, so they can "better serve" them.
Just where did they say that? They actually said "Scanning the Department of Defense ID card bar code allows the Defense Commissary Agency to positively identify an individual and verify that he or she is authorized to shop in the commissary." They said it here: https://www.commissaries.com/documen...d_scanning.cfm

Quote:
Personally, I don't like the idea. No one has ever scanned my id before, and I didn't know there was so much personal information available once they got that scan bar number.
My ID card or my wife's ID card has been scanned probably 200 times over the past two years at gates of three different U.S. Military installations. Gets us in and out faster.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
I literally spewed my coffee all over my keyboard when I read that acronym; whoever came up with that one really left it open for scorn and ridicule, hahahaha!!!
Point of Sale (POS) was being used in the early 70's... I would guess/wager 1972, about 41 years ago. Are you older that that?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:

They say they will only use the information to track our purchases, how far we travel, family size and status of the shopper (they also say it validates an authorized shopper.) The thing is, the computer with POS (the scanning system) can tell you what you want to know about purchases, a simple survey-ran for a month- can give you the other data - they don't need to have access to DEERS, in my opinion.

I find it interesting that the closure story and the id scan happened at the same time...are people afraid to lose the commissary unless they forfeit personal information?

Personally - I've registered my complaint and will not shop there until the scanning has been revoked.
So what information do you think the government put on your ID card that it doesn't already know? Of course it needs access to DEERS--that is where the certification of commissary privilege is stored.

If they want to track your purchases, that's already done if they enter your SSN. Or, for that matter, a credit card.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Just where did they say that? They actually said "Scanning the Department of Defense ID card bar code allows the Defense Commissary Agency to positively identify an individual and verify that he or she is authorized to shop in the commissary." They said it here: https://www.commissaries.com/documen...d_scanning.cfm

My ID card or my wife's ID card has been scanned probably 200 times over the past two years at gates of three different U.S. Military installations. Gets us in and out faster.
I got my information about "they" from that site - the only data they will take is what was listed, but it's not all the information they will have access.
The Commissary face book page, a person named Mille, states what I stated above.
As an employee, I also hear the briefings.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Gate guards here only look at your ID card, they do not have barcode scanners.

I think that part of the concern is the marketing analytic software, like what Amazon is using and Google Analytics. Track every item purchased, to analyse market-share, consumption rates and to predict future sales.

Like if you buy from Amazon, the ads become customized to what they think you would be interested in purchasing next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues