Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 37,892 times

Advertisements

My daughter enlisted at 17 with our approval. scored very high on asvat. all medical records from her pediatrician were turned in.(multiple times) she's been awaiting meps date for well over 18 months now,just heard friday she's dq for a medical issue she had at 13. she had osteomyelitis and some of her lab work was "off" we followed up with appropriate medical doctors and she has never been on any medications for it nor had any signs or symptoms of it. she was cleared by them back in 2008. and remains clear at present. where do i go now? what can we do? i am completely unfamiliar with the military and how things work. i've seen some discussions regarding waivers. the wording the recruiter used was "the surgeon general disqualified you for history of thyrotoxicosis" which essentially means hyperthyroid. which her labs did show for approx 8 weeks. will they send us paperwork stating such? will they automatically put in for a waiver? how do we start the process of getting a waiver? any and all help greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,161,992 times
The "surgeon general" was the waiver, it sounds like her waiver was denied. Unless there is additional documentation showing she doesn't have a "history of thyrotoxicosis" then there isn't anything you can do. She will receive a letter in the mail stating she was medically disqualified and the reason, however, there will be no medical documents with the letter.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,220,967 times
Pardon my ignorance but what is "dq?"

Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM

499 posts, read 2,151,967 times
DQ= disqualified

Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,277,872 times
I'm sorry to the original poster. If the Surgeon General DQ'd her, that's it. Done. Put a fork in it. Nothing left except to try other branches (each branch has it's own Surgeon General).

The other thing you can do, is you can provide new evidence, like a few continued normal blood tests, an expert who will examine her and write a letter that the issue shouldn't cause any future hindrance, I'm not a doctor, but anything that you can do to prove that she is "normal" could help. It might be fruitless, but it's a chance.

Many times Thryotoxicosis is caused by Grave's Disease. Can you guys show she doesn't have Grave's disease?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info! She's had 3 sets of labs since 2008 and all have been normal. i can certainly take her back to either the original endocrinologist or a new one and have her "cleared" again. graves was never mentioned in her 3 visits in 2008, i'd imagine a new specific set of lab work could rule it out. she's absolutely heartbroken, so i will do whatever i can to help her!

Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,277,872 times
I don't want to make it sound like it will work, but I do know the SG will look at the same waiver again only if there is new information. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know what "new" information might make a difference.

I'm honestly surprised. I have gotten people cleared with thyroid issues, even on current medication, but I think it might have mostly been hypOthyroidism, not hypER. The only reasson I mentioned Grave's Disease is because I was wondering if there was something bigger/deeper that the SG was worried about. A quick google of "thyrotoxicosis" brings up "Grave's disease" in almost every link.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM

16 posts, read 32,195 times
If you were disqualified my a military doctor during the enlistment process you basically are done unless you can prove their findings wrong.

And a waiver is only granted when the issue can be waived. So if you get DQ without a waiver, this means your issue is non-waiverable.

What branch are you speaking about?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:51 AM

109 posts, read 286,199 times
Michelle4174,

I've just sent you a private message with some information that might help you. Good luck to you and your daughter!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:00 PM

@lavadog23 she's got her heart set on the Air Force

@coloradogreycat- Thanks a bunch!! best of luck to your son as well!!

@dmarie123- i will schedule an appointment with the same dr who saw her back in 2008 and request another specific clearance letter and another set of labs. i will then contact her recruiter and see if they can be submitted for review. thanks for your quick response! i have no family members who are military and am feeling a lil lost and overwhelmed with it all. the process is mind boggling! thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues