U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 PM

16,026 posts, read 17,916,731 times

Advertisements

My son is a disabled vet who according to the VA is unable to handle his own finances. For the past decade I have been managing his finances and submitting an annual report. Suddenly this year my accounting was rejected not once but three times. According to them I can not account for the money I took out of his account and handed him as spending money. This money was allocated in his budget and I have been doing it the same way since 2004.

I called the "Fiduciary Hub" in Salt Lake City attempting to find out how to accomplish hand my son $20 and how to resolve last years accounting. Their answers were to call me a thief and tell me it was my problem.
Apparently these fiduciary hubs are contracted to remove family members as payees and then confiscate the estates they have built up over the years.

I have contacted my Congressman, who has not responded as yet and will file an appeal to his incompetence ruling in an attempt to stop these vultures but it will be a struggle. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:48 PM

18,857 posts, read 26,322,561 times
So, you are complaining that the VA, is trying too hard to look after the interests of your son who is disabled? The Payees are not vultures. They are providing appropriate oversight on your son's finances, as he is too disabled to may these decisions on his own.

I don't see any change to this. Unless you are willing to have your son live with you, and you manage his care in your home.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,628,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My son is a disabled vet who according to the VA is unable to handle his own finances. For the past decade I have been managing his finances and submitting an annual report. Suddenly this year my accounting was rejected not once but three times. According to them I can not account for the money I took out of his account and handed him as spending money. This money was allocated in his budget and I have been doing it the same way since 2004.

I called the "Fiduciary Hub" in Salt Lake City attempting to find out how to accomplish hand my son $20 and how to resolve last years accounting. Their answers were to call me a thief and tell me it was my problem.
Apparently these fiduciary hubs are contracted to remove family members as payees and then confiscate the estates they have built up over the years.

I have contacted my Congressman, who has not responded as yet and will file an appeal to his incompetence ruling in an attempt to stop these vultures but it will be a struggle. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I assume you have legal, court ordered documents appointing you as his guardian. Given that, you are saying this VA contractor is ignoring your legal standing. Is that correct?

Does the VA have an Inspector General? Hopefully your congressman's staff can work this out though I don't know how much influence congressional offices have today.

I would also write letters and send them certified to the head of the VA, the regional heads, your congressman and senator. Don't hesitate to go public where possible. Call the TV stations.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM

Actually the VA resolved the matter, they allowed last year and told me what changes they needed in this years accounting

Old 03-10-2017, 03:33 PM

This went on for years, I was hospitalized for almost three years and they have to find someone else

Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 355 times
Well @Poncho_NM & @Boompa
I do apologize, I was merely using the provided emoticons to express my thoughts and congrats that the "VA resolved the matter" for Boompa. The reason I found this discussion forum was in my quest to help a friend find some answers about her rejected accounting letter received now, one year after she put the accounting in the mail. She is the fiduciary for her mother's aid and assistance benefit- as her father is a deceased veteran of WWII.
All day she's been trying to get through to them on the phone to explain to them the revised accounting is late because her mother threw her a curve by falling and being admitted to the hospital and there's been no time to revise it.
My friend is/was freaking out worrying they would pull her fiduciary duties. (i say good riddance let someone else take it! but that is not what she thinks.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues