Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 30,130 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been discharged from the navy (I was supposed to be a CS SS)in the middle of boot camp because I was diagnosed with chemically induced asthma with an "unknown" severity on my 20th birthday (yeah, **** me, right?) With an RE code of an RE-3E (official discharge date was 08-May-13). Since I have gotten back in my home town the only thing positive that happened was that it might be a misdiagnosis and from a retired HM that they give people "erroneous conditions" as a nice way of saying I wasn't ready. I filled out job apps for god knows how long and found out from the VA is that ELS is just "dishonorable with a chance of reenlistment" or "never served" so I figured since my back is against the wall and I now have student debt that I can "reenlist" into a different branch since as far as they are concerned I never existed. I used to 3 years out of high school so I have my skepticism on it being a bull**** discharge. Let's say I do have "chemically induced asthma" is there a way I can get a waiver for it? I know there has to be some chance of getting it even though I won't be in a combat job. I've been hearing a various amount of answers from "hell no" to "there's a chance". I DO NOT WANT TO LIE ABOUT IT THOUGH. I know this may seem weird but living in an area where you have to know someone or already have a head start to get somewhere in life this is honestly the only way I can make a living... well if not that than purposely getting thrown in jail. Can anyone help me out?

I'll admit that I honestly gave up on the navy because I realised that I fell for the job trap and got CS (SS), but I know I can make an actual mature decision on joining the air force since I know a lot about them compared to the other branches. I haven't had a single symptom since I've been home if I may add, I've heard of people getting waivers in the air force for heart conditions so if my asthma isn't that serious I think I can actually have a fair chance to prove myself instead of getting put on LLD for 80% of my time there just to fail the PFT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
There is pretty much no way to get into the Air Force. We normally only take RE-1, getting medically cleared through MEPS would be nearly impossible, but we also have a random regulation (AFI 36-2001) that says prior service can join, but not "previous service." Previous service means you served less than 120 days. Prior service means you served more than 120 days. The regulation doesn't specifically say no previous service, but we don't have previous service openings, and haven't for years.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
And to clarify, you MIGHT be able to get medically cleared if you can show you do not, and did not, have asthma. That isn't the issue. Your discharge type, length of service, and re-enlistment codes make it hopeless for you to join the Air Force.

I am so sorry.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:44 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
Good luck. I was diagnosed with asthma while on active duty in the AF. I have been fighting for the last 4 years to stay in. Every year I go before a review board and every year I have to prove that I am still fit for active duty.

FYI I have been in for 13 years now. Im going out on a limb and saying that there is no way that you will get in with asthma if I have to fight this hard to stay in.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
go to the VA and get a service connected rating. If that is over 30% file against the Navy Board of Correcdtions that your separation was improper and you should have been retired

Old 12-18-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
go to the VA and get a service connected rating. If that is over 30% file against the Navy Board of Correcdtions that your separation was improper and you should have been retired
I thought all ELS was not considered veterans so how can I be retired with just 1 month of service?

This is really bumming me out since I found out that I don't have asthma and every branch don't bother with ELS. As much as I hate to say this I honestly regret signing up for the navy

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedcko View Post
I thought all ELS was not considered veterans so how can I be retired with just 1 month of service?

This is really bumming me out since I found out that I don't have asthma and every branch don't bother with ELS. As much as I hate to say this I honestly regret signing up for the navy
If you are looking for an excuse, feel free

Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I'm sorry to tell you that it is going to be next to impossible to get into any service now with and entry level separation for a medical issue. Everyone is downsizing and there is no reason to mess with waivers...they just kick the recruiters in the butt and make them track down kids with little to no issues. The RE-3E is going to make enlisting again unrealistic.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
The Air Force is cutting nearly 25k airmen this year, and since the airforce gives 5.0 evals as a standard they are cutting people that have any sort of red mark in their service record. They are also recruiting less. So combine these two and the still weak economy and you have a snowballs chance in Phoenix of getting into the Airforce.

I'm sorry that you had signs of asthma and were LLD for 80% of your training, but asthma is one of the big no-nos in the military. My buddy was going into the Navy as a nuke, a high demand field, and had zero reason for waivers other than childhood asthma, and he could kill the PRT in high school (we were in JROTC and took the test twice a year). Despite that he had to do a few months worth of panels and stress tests, on his own dime, just to get his waiver pushed through. Meanwhile I had extensive law-enforcement interaction (never arrested, but many civil citations and court appearances and youth intervention programs (nothing violent, or involving theft or drugs, just pranks and driving citations), a failed math class, poor vision in one eye, and a serious accident as a child that gave me loss of memory, and with all that I still got into the Navy before him and with much less effort.

So as you can see the military takes asthma very seriously, and add in the ELS and they just aren't going to take the chance when there are plenty of applicants in great health with clean records.

Your best bet is the Army, not because their standards are lower, but because they are bigger and might take the time to have a doc look at you as an individual case.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
The Air Force is cutting nearly 25k airmen this year, and since the airforce gives 5.0 evals as a standard they are cutting people that have any sort of red mark in their service record. They are also recruiting less. So combine these two and the still weak economy and you have a snowballs chance in Phoenix of getting into the Airforce.

I'm sorry that you had signs of asthma and were LLD for 80% of your training, but asthma is one of the big no-nos in the military. My buddy was going into the Navy as a nuke, a high demand field, and had zero reason for waivers other than childhood asthma, and he could kill the PRT in high school (we were in JROTC and took the test twice a year). Despite that he had to do a few months worth of panels and stress tests, on his own dime, just to get his waiver pushed through. Meanwhile I had extensive law-enforcement interaction (never arrested, but many civil citations and court appearances and youth intervention programs (nothing violent, or involving theft or drugs, just pranks and driving citations), a failed math class, poor vision in one eye, and a serious accident as a child that gave me loss of memory, and with all that I still got into the Navy before him and with much less effort.

So as you can see the military takes asthma very seriously, and add in the ELS and they just aren't going to take the chance when there are plenty of applicants in great health with clean records.

Your best bet is the Army, not because their standards are lower, but because they are bigger and might take the time to have a doc look at you as an individual case.
I guess I might have to go the army route then. Recently I talked to an ANG recruiter in Peoria, IL and he made it sound like all I need to do is just prove that it was a misdiagnosis and he'll make an air force recruiter grant me an RE-3 waiver (the ANG recruiter is an E-8 while the closest air force recruites are E-5 and E-6).
I'm leaning towards going ANG route just so I can finish school while I'm serving (kinda beats waiting 4 years for post 9/11). I tried finding a job but in the area I live in it's who you know, not what you know (even tried McDonald's and they claim I'm not qualified). At the rate this economy is going I'm better off just looking up immagration policies for other countries and take my luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues