U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

When I initially went to MEPS I filled out the questionnaire; the question I think was the problem was the alcohol question. It asked how often do I consume alcoholic drinks I answered once a month, which is true because I work 7 days a week and I don't have the time. The next question was how many drinks, I marked the 7-9 option because I thought that sounded normal. When the MEPS doctor reviewed my paperwork she asked if I thought I had a drinking problem and I laughed saying yeah the morning after is the worst that's why I don't drink often, as a joke but I forgot that the doctors at MEPS are NOT your friends. She marked me down as possible alcohol abuse. Quite honestly the 7-9 is a lie, I have 1 drink and I'm done.

But the psych consult could also be that I was on Ritalin as a child (ages 7-9) or my traffic violations because I have 5 from years 2007-2010.

IF it is just for the "possible alcohol abuse" what should I except? How should I act? Quite honestly I don't drink often, I don't like the morning after and I'm always working, so I just don't have the time. I've never been in a situation that involved alcohol, so this is very nerve-racking for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 PM

9,207 posts, read 15,368,377 times
How about you just tell the truth?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 PM

4,508 posts, read 7,794,497 times
It's for the alcohol abuse...you have a crappy Recruiter if he/she let you walk in running your mouth and joking with MEPS Doctors. That is a sure way to get yourself disqualified. Why the heck would you answer 7-9 if honestly it is only 1?

Now you need to go convince another Doctor the information you "lied" about before isn't true and that you don't really have a drinking problem even though you lied to make it sound like you did. 7-9 drinks is a lot of drinks in one outing so now you have to get yourself out of that mess.

As for as how you should act...I would try honesty at this point, it's about all you got left.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,291,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily420 View Post
The next question was how many drinks, I marked the 7-9 option because I thought that sounded normal.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM

3,100 posts, read 9,001,607 times
The military considers anything over 5 drinks in one night to be binge drinking and alcohol abuse. I don't know why you would have though NINE DRINKS was normal. NINE drinks would be put me in the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 PM

4,563 posts, read 6,024,073 times
Back in my military days I saw guys put down 5 pitchers. If they keep calling you back you need to convince them that you want to get in. It might be a good idea to speak with your recruiter again.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 4,992,498 times
Although this thread is old, I feel the need to respond as this is still important (though basic) information for anyone looking to join the military (or any other job for that matter). If you feel the need to lie, for whatever reason and regardless of the lie, when filling out applications, then maybe the military isn't for you. I'm not sure how the OP got out of this one, but if s/he tried to "explain" way the lie, I would hope that s/he was exposed and disqualified. I'm very big on integrity and believe that even a small lie, which shows poor judgment and honesty issues, is just as bad as a major lie.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM

23,751 posts, read 38,033,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Although this thread is old, I feel the need to respond as this is still important (though basic) information for anyone looking to join the military (or any other job for that matter). If you feel the need to lie, for whatever reason and regardless of the lie, when filling out applications, then maybe the military isn't for you. I'm not sure how the OP got out of this one, but if s/he tried to "explain" way the lie, I would hope that s/he was exposed and disqualified. I'm very big on integrity and believe that even a small lie, which shows poor judgment and honesty issues, is just as bad as a major lie.
The original poster has not been back since 12-19-2013, about 7 days after their first post...

Old 12-08-2014, 02:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 4,992,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The original poster has not been back since 12-19-2013, about 7 days after their first post...
Yes, thanks. My response was directed not solely toward the OP, though, but as a general warning to those trying to enlist to be open and honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues