U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 03:06 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarian View Post
The percentage of military that make it to retirement is in the teens with no guarantee (far from it both before 9-11 and the current state of affairs). While some services seem to fare okay on location (Pyramid drills at Coronado or the San Diego area?...not the same as the majority of the Army or even Air Force concerning less than ideal locales), my wife has been able to work about half of our time in the military and since we have moved around, her retirement (or opportunities to build one) are quite honestly pathetic. Retirement is on me.

So less than twenty percent make it to retirement, isolated locales (I've got ten years in bonafide isolated postings...and another eight years of assignments near such "swell" places as Clarksville TN, Fayetteville NC, and Leesville AL as a reference), years away from immediate family, personal freedoms SEVERELY restricted throughout, willing to lay it all on the line and given multiple opportunities to do so (remember, the Army and Marines...and our other sister services to a lesser extent...have continuously been to war for over a decade on a shoestring build up), uprooting school age children multiple times and other family income is limited by the whims of our moves / postings / timetable?

Yeah, I believe the cost of pension outlay versus our carrying out such a lifestyle is worth it for an all volunteer force. In spades. If it wasn't, everyone would be doing it. And they aren't.

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM

The government has already shafted many military members but only the ones who were active duty throught the 80's will proably recall that congress decided to change our pay from every two weeks to two checks a month which shorten our pay by two whole checks a year.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I worked with guys who put in 30 years and now have a 75K per year pension. The very next month after retiring their last command magically converts a billet that was military to a DOD Civ position at the GS-15 level. They do 10+ years as a GS-15 making close to 200k with their pension and then retire at 65 with 100K worth of pension payments and free medical. These same people complain about people scamming the government when they're clearly trying to take all they can from it.
That happens to high ranking and connected officers who work in contracting or with civilian companies. Unfortunately it happens all of the time with our government officials going back and forth from and to Wall St, big banks and defense contractors.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Obviously not everyone is out to scam the government. I know guys who retire after 20 years and end up as GS-5's just to keep the lights on at home.[/quote]

Hell, that happened to me. After 20 years as a medical administration supervisor in the AF the VA wanted to initially hire me as a GS-5 meanwhile a civilian niece of one of the executives was hired as a GS-7 right out of high school.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The government has already shafted many military members but only the ones who were active duty throught the 80's will proably recall that congress decided to change our pay from every two weeks to two checks a month which shorten our pay by two whole checks a year.
So tell me exactly how much money did we lose? How about before that period we only got paid once a month. How much did military members lose?

Old 12-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
AEFES pays for MWR.

That's small change

Thagt's one of those unquantifiable "keeps the country willing to vote for the military budget" factos.

What do you mean by that? A cover charge for going through the door?

That will cost more, not less. BAH is based on 75% of what it actually costs to live off base, which means that living off base is actually more of a strain on the budget than living on base. There is an cost factor involved for dealing with personal problems. Speaking as a senior NCO, I'd much rather keep as many people on base as possible, especially junior enlisted (both married and unmarried). Prior to the 90s, senior enlisted got priority for Air Force family housing--in the late 90s, they changed that system to give junior enlisted priority. I was totally in favor of that change.

Mm, well, Ft Sill is 40 miles from Altus AFB. How do you make that merger work?

You can't just stockpile weapons. Weapons actually "go bad" over time. And you have to keep training troops effectively in using them. That takes "base."

Find out what jobs are lying open, move people to where they are, train the people...then let's see how that works.

Agree with that. Actually, reducing the mission--politicians not signing up for as many potential wars--would enable a significant reduction in the cost of the military.

What if...the nation had taken President Carter seriously in the 70s when he said we needed to take on oil independence from the Middle East as the "moral equivalent of war?" Dependence on Arab oil would not be a factor of American foreign policy today. The US response to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait would have been the same as the US response to the Libyan invasion of Chad.

Excellent response!!!!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
My dear friend please read up on the Camp Lejeune drinking water.
My dear friend please read up on Gulf War Syndrome.
My dear friend please read up on Agent Orange.
As a former veteran service officer I have seen veterans who are seriously injured/ill from their time on actice duty and had to go Months and even years in some cases before their claims were accepted and processed many of them were rejected for no other reason other than to give the benefit administration time to catch up on other late ones and weed out those who give up on the government red tape.

Agent Orange is a perfect example. For decades the military claimed that it was safe and denied alot of people who got certain cancers and produced children with birth defects it was'nt until many of them died off then they acknowledged that Agent Orange was the reason for their shorten lives. Now they are doing the same thing regarding "Gulf War Syndrome". I noticed that many vets that come home after extended stays in the "sandbox" have started developing respiratory illness some as serious as COPD and other as benign as Sleep Apnea (which can attribute to Hypertension/Heart Attacks/Stroke). Unfortunately since some of these things are hard to prove and/or take considerable effort on the examiner they are often denied. this is why I advise anyone who has spent any considerable amount of time in the M.E to get a sleep study done while you are able by the VA or military physician. Believe me you will be thankfull that you did later.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
So tell me exactly how much money did we lose? How about before that period we only got paid once a month. How much did military members lose?
Depending on your rank. If you were a low ranking E2-E4 proably a couple hundred dollars a year but the higher your rank was the more that you lost. Just think of taking away two whole checks a year from your pay

Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,306 times
Hahaha, I hear the debate every time the economy goes to hell! I am retired military and my monthly is 7400 in retirement. Simply stated, you get what you work for and plan for. My civilian peers are still working sun up to sun down, Living paycheck to paycheck with a ton of worry! In short, you should have planned your life better.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM

24,130 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Depending on your rank. If you were a low ranking E2-E4 proably a couple hundred dollars a year but the higher your rank was the more that you lost. Just think of taking away two whole checks a year from your pay
That is not correct.... You lost no money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues