U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 AM

191 posts, read 370,122 times

Advertisements

Still active duty.

Who are you to decide what they deserve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM

336 posts, read 247,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Still active duty.

Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

The simple fact is that many civilians and military personnel look at military retirement benefits and conclude that they are very generous. Many of the same people wonder whether our nation can continue to afford such generous benefits in a climate of austerity. As mentioned elsewhere, retirement benefits for veterans cost $130 billion per year -- or 1/5 of the US's total annual budget deficit. Think about that for a moment.

Last edited by VAGeek; 12-29-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,148,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Still active duty.

If you're faking injuries, that's fraud.

Plus, like the previous poster mentioned, the whole point of the thread is discussing whether benefits are fair.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,101,303 times
[quote=charlie_paige;32782452]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
But whining about it is so much more fun. After nearly 20 years active duty, I haven't come across even a fraction of the fakers that he has met all IRL. I said it before, but I don't think he's in the same military we are all talking about.

Hey, I did not post that!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
The simple fact is that many civilians and military personnel look at military retirement benefits and conclude that they are very generous. Many of the same people wonder whether our nation can continue to afford such generous benefits in a climate of austerity. As mentioned elsewhere, retirement benefits for veterans cost $130 billion per year -- or 1/5 of the US's total annual budget deficit. Think about that for a moment.
No, you need to think about it for a moment. The United States can't ask people to serve the country, then offer them certain benefits if they will stick around for 20 and once the person agrees and completes their obligation of 20+ years, change the benefits after the fact. If it is unaffordable to continue offering these benefits change it and let new people decide if they want to give up 20+ years of their life for the reduced benefits.

I would have never served 26 years on active duty had I known the benefits promised me were not the benefits I would receive after I completed my service.

Anyone that argues this is the right way to make changes to veterans benefits needs their head examined.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

180 posts, read 326,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
No, you need to think about it for a moment. The United States can't ask people to serve the country, then offer them certain benefits if they will stick around for 20 and once the person agrees and completes their obligation of 20+ years, change the benefits after the fact. If it is unaffordable to continue offering these benefits change it and let new people decide if they want to give up 20+ years of their life for the reduced benefits.

I would have never served 26 years on active duty had I known the benefits promised me were not the benefits I would receive after I completed my service.

Anyone that argues this is the right way to make changes to veterans benefits needs their head examined.
BRAVO!!!!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

Slippery slope. Cut this, just this once, what prevents them from changing the deal again after the fact....maybe 2% below inflation. Or cutting out the 'adjustment' at 62. Maybe a CUT in retiree income. Why not? After all, it's generous. Never mind that the promise was made and opportunities were foregone for that promise. Can you give me back my youth that I spent in the service, not seriously looking for other opportunities? I didn't think so.

The way to get after this problem is to cut out a weapons system. Or three. My suggestion is the F-35. Bam, there's 11 billion-more than they will get by this change.

If we're in that much fiscal trouble, well, let's go ahead and get the house in order-but not on the backs of retirees who gave up civilian careers for a promise.

Finally, seriously pursue the 401K-style option that's been bandied about. If someone enlists KNOWING that's the system, that's their own doing. If our recruitment drops through the floor after that change, then we'll know that wasn't the thing to pursue, we can target critically short jobs with bonuses for the short-term, and retirement can be changed back.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,831,212 times
Dropping the F-35 gets my vote for a budget cut.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,529,454 times
My two cents will probably inflame a few people, however, here we go:

Why should a supply clerk, a motor transport, or any other NON combat MOS be given the same retirement as a combat MOS. A grunt who has been humping the hell out of hills, being shot at, shooting others, spending many tours of duty in a non permissive environment, should be compensated beyond belief.

Some REMF should NOT be receiving the same benefit. Even if they spend 20+ years in the military. A retirement? Yes, of course. But not the same retirement as someone who has been facing combat on a daily basis.

Of course, I am going to get the: But, many clerks were in combat zones. Uh, yes/no. Hearing a few bombs go off, and getting a mortar round or two, isn't the same as running combat patrols for a living. Unless you have BTDT, please do not use that excuse. Those men/women who are running such patrols should be the ones highly compensated for it; including their retirement.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:22 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,193,081 times
Those that stay in the military and retire are not really "robbing the bank". They don't receive any of the same payments civil servants receive while on active duty which saves the taxpayers trillions of dollars. I would like to see all military personnel shifted over to civil servants and receive the same pay etc....overtime, holiday pay, comp time etc...then the issue will be settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues