U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 03:08 AM

13,802 posts, read 4,093,613 times

Advertisements

To All on this thread that served,Thank You for your service! To those that believe that Military retirement benefits are "unfair" ,tuff,move on.I don't think they are good enough!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 AM

5,541 posts, read 4,389,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Your experience isn't typical of the majority of military retirees.

My response to anyone that feels it is too generous...Why didn't they do it? If it is such a great deal why isn't everyone lined up to do it?
Who are these people that say benefits are too generous?

I am also retired and receive some VA benefits. I was actually shocked when I was awarded that. My other half is 100% VA disabled - Vietnam. Now he earned every cent and deserves more.

Texas legislature passed a bill to give 100% disabled texas vets a 100% exemption on property taxes.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-24-2017 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Your politcal statements were edited out...

Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 AM

17,918 posts, read 9,854,361 times
Unfair? What does "unfair" mean?

If someone got lied to about it, that was unfair.

Who got lied to?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:09 PM

271 posts, read 194,205 times
If it weren't for military personnel being put in harm's way, I'd say the folks who responded above might have a point. However, as a Vietnam vet, I was in harm's way almost daily, flying combat missions in Vietnam and several adjoining countries. I came home alive and well, but I lost several friends to enemy missiles, ground fire, and collisions with the terrain. Other friends were also imprisoned for years on end, chained in their cells, eating "food" that was all but inedible, and punished on a daily basis. A number of them never came home and their fate in some cases, is still unknown. Situations like this commonly occur in almost every war the US has been involved in.

What salary would you say would be appropriate for people subject to such conditions?

Walessp

Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 PM

15,393 posts, read 8,689,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
To All on this thread that served,Thank You for your service! To those that believe that Military retirement benefits are "unfair" ,tuff,move on.I don't think they are good enough!!!
I agree 100%. They are willing to do something that I am unwilling to do, to preserve my freedom and way of life. Retirement, healthcare, housing, the works. They deserve it all. And if there's anything left over, it can go to entitlement programs for folks that aren't willing to sacrifice.

Last edited by ringwise; 04-24-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM

765 posts, read 480,089 times
People like to point fingers at the service members that made it though without a scratch and say, "See, the military isn't that bad, they don't need that retirements and those benefits, it isn't fair". What they fail to take into account is the members who died on active duty, the members who came back missing pieces, the members who will never be the same. I would gladly give up every cent I have ever collected to get my feet back. To be able to run in the back yard with my kids. To be able to walk up a hill, climb a tree, fun barefoot through the beach.

When the risk is great, the reward must be greater! The only way to get young people to join is to offer them a compensation package that will take care of them if something happens. Without that, the only people willing to join will be the thrill seekers and die hard patriots. That wouldn't be enough.

It's funny, most law enforcement and firefighters have much better retirement packages than the military. They are eligible to retire after 20 years as well. Where is all of the hate and jealously for them?

Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM

24,138 posts, read 38,906,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
This may seem like a silly question,
Not silly, but perhaps not everyone agrees... There is no simple answer. Your title "Are military retirement benefits unfair?" Can be considered vague.

In 2011 there were 1,932,928 retired military personnel... (http://actuary.defense.gov/Portals/1...statbook11.pdf)

I am just one of those retired military personnel. I consider my military retirement benefits to be fair...

Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 PM

4,553 posts, read 8,014,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
People like to point fingers at the service members that made it though without a scratch and say, "See, the military isn't that bad, they don't need that retirements and those benefits, it isn't fair". What they fail to take into account is the members who died on active duty, the members who came back missing pieces, the members who will never be the same. I would gladly give up every cent I have ever collected to get my feet back. To be able to run in the back yard with my kids. To be able to walk up a hill, climb a tree, fun barefoot through the beach.

When the risk is great, the reward must be greater! The only way to get young people to join is to offer them a compensation package that will take care of them if something happens. Without that, the only people willing to join will be the thrill seekers and die hard patriots. That wouldn't be enough.

It's funny, most law enforcement and firefighters have much better retirement packages than the military. They are eligible to retire after 20 years as well. Where is all of the hate and jealously for them?
Military retirement isn't to cover "scratches", missing limbs, death, or when "something happens", etc. That is what the VA is for. Military retirement is compensation for ALL the sacrifices made over a career in the military.

I think you're confusing two programs.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:41 PM

8,998 posts, read 7,090,463 times
I first enlisted in 1958, in the National Guard.
The next year, I enlisted in the Navy, "minority cruise". That means I was to be discharged the day before my 21st birthday.
I also served an enlistment in the Regular Army.
So, six years on active duty, plus 14+ years or so as a drilling reservist, then they were going to transfer me to the IRR because I was an E-6 with over 20 years service.
So, I retired.
My retirement pay at the present time is less than $750 per month.
The nearest base (Air Force) is about 240 miles away, so commissary and Exchange privileges really don't amount to much. It is cheaper to go to the local Costco, or shop on Amazon.
Tricare? Since I have Medicare, and insurance though my wife's employer, Tricare pays for prescriptions, and that's about it. Tricare is last on the list when it comes to paying medical bills, which means they usually pay nothing.
So, in return for 30+ years of my life (active duty, drilling reservist, Fleet reserve[subject to recall until age 65]), I get less than $750 per month.
If anyone thinks that is "unfair" to civilians, or too much for what I invested, please, just go away and leave me alone.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 PM

6,086 posts, read 2,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
The ones proposing changes to retirement plans are the ones who did not retire. At the same time, we have people who did not serve in the military complain about all retirement plans. Those 2 sources of complainers are confusing me. If the military is "so" easy and the tours are "so" easy for 99% of active duty, then why didn't they finish military careers, and why didn't they join the military? To our former military members, why are you looking back at retirees with venom? To those who did not serve, why are you even talking!?!

After retiring from the military and moving away from military installations, I have seen and heard the haters which honestly has been the hardest pill for me to swallow. Regardless of our job or MOS, "I thought" all military were providing great service to our country.

If its "so" easy then join or finish!
I would wager its because some people get a sweetheart deal in the military where others are relentlessly hazed so badly that they are compelled to get out at 4 ... or in some cases even sooner or are sent on endless deployments to the point where their family says its us or the military. Most of the people seeing it out to retirement are not crawling in a ditch filled with bugs for 20 years. Most people that make it to retirement have some kind of cush duty station in Germany or a nice part of the USA and they can coast it out for a significant amount of time.

If everyone on a military retirement saw people being burned alive with napalm and were being shot at for a good portion of the 20 years no one would say a word but we all know that cousin bill who hung out on some base doing something cool and fun for 20 years that got that sweet heart deal and now never has to worry about a lay off again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues