U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 AM

25,629 posts, read 21,519,619 times

Advertisements

I'm ecstatic about my retirement plan. It is what kept me in for 23 yrs. Otherwise, I would have been long gone after 4 yrs.

I do feel the military needs to provide something for those who don't make it to 20 yrs and I think that's what the current thinking is.

Americans, the majority have lost the ability to earn pensions in the civilian/private sector (other than police, educators, some state and local gov't jobs) are probably envious and not willing to continue to play a lucrative pensions for the military in the future......writing is on the wall. I don't think the avg taxpayer is aware of what is included in a military pension.

The time for a fix is here.

Last edited by BucFan; 05-11-2017 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 AM

8,958 posts, read 2,117,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm ecstatic about my retirement plan. It is what kept me in for 23 yrs. Otherwise, I would have been long gone after 4 yrs.

I do feel the military needs to provide something for those who don't make it to 20 yrs and I think that's what the current thinking is.

Americans, the majority have lost the ability to earn pensions in the civilian/private sector (other than police, educators, some state and local gov't jobs) are probably envious and not willing to continue to play a lucrative pensions for the military in the future......writing is on the wall. I don't think the avg taxpayer is aware of what is included in a military pension.

The time for a fix is here.

I agree. The average tax payer not only does not know what is included in a Military pension but they have no idea the hardships put upon Military families in general and for someone to make it a life long career with a family,well, this country owes them a lot!

P.S. Thank you for your service and thinks to your family.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM

25,629 posts, read 21,519,619 times
I agree with your post. I pretty much traded in complete control of half my life to the whims of my country and its leaders.....just fortunate to have gotten to the finish line intact.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 7,804,898 times
Quote:
I agree with your post. I pretty much traded in complete control of half my life to the whims of my country and its leaders.....just fortunate to have gotten to the finish line intact.
And the government had all the right at any point in time for any reason to say, "We're done with you, have a nice life."

In the end, that's exactly what the government did do: A 20-year retirement is as much for governmental reasons as it is for the benefit of the member. A whole lot of people would just as soon stay active duty rather than be forced to make a career change at the time in their lives when their obligations are at their peak.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM

28,039 posts, read 44,103,267 times
Quote:
I have no room to complain. I served with a lot of guys whose sacrifices were far greater than mine. It was dumb luck, random chance that determined who was injured and who made it through unscathed.

I feel very fortunate to have made it this far.

We signed on the 'dotted line', we swore an oath and we took our chances. Some were hurt and disabled in training, many were dis-enfranchised somewhere along the journey, some made it to retirement age.

I do not think there is any way to make it 'fair'. Some people's careers saw more deployments, some had more hardships, one person's hardship is another person's joy.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:50 AM

4,316 posts, read 1,585,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And the government had all the right at any point in time for any reason to say, "We're done with you, have a nice life."

In the end, that's exactly what the government did do: A 20-year retirement is as much for governmental reasons as it is for the benefit of the member. A whole lot of people would just as soon stay active duty rather than be forced to make a career change at the time in their lives when their obligations are at their peak.
You certainly have seen more military retirees than I have, but I personally know of no 2 0 year military retiree who was disappointed they couldn't have stayed in longer.

Everyone I knew ( including my step son ) were anxiously waiting for that 20 year mark so they could start a different chapter of their life.

Same was said by every 20 year retiree at our American Legion hall.
None of them wanted to stay in over 20 and considered reaching 20 a great accomplishment.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 AM

4,322 posts, read 7,027,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You certainly have seen more military retirees than I have, but I personally know of no 2 0 year military retiree who was disappointed they couldn't have stayed in longer.

Everyone I knew ( including my step son ) were anxiously waiting for that 20 year mark so they could start a different chapter of their life.

None of them wanted to stay in over 20 and considered reaching 20 a great accomplishment.
There is something called high year tenure which forces people out. I had to leave at 26 years and would have stayed longer if I could have. Looking back I'm glad it worked out the way it did but at the time I would have stayed if I wasn't forced to leave.

There are many that stay past 20 (or wish they could) and get out at 20, 24, 26, 30 years when they are forced out.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:11 AM

282 posts, read 220,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Ok you have a 20+ year retiree that has always wondered if they made a mistake throwing in the towel after 20. I weigh the positives against the negatives and after being retired for almost 36 years I still have questions. The biggest one against was I would not be married to my first and present wife. I don't think I would have been worse off economically now if I had stayed past 20, probably would have been better off. I would have probably gone the Warrant Officer or LDO route after making E9 (retired at E8)and my retirement pay would be considerably more than it is now and I still had a profession that was needed in the civilian world. Sure I got an excellent paying job when I retired, but the first company went bankrupt and I lost money, not what I put in just the companies matching stock. Then with a new company was doing real well and took early retirement (401K only) and then the stock market crash and I lost almost 50% of my 401K. Do I regret getting out after 20? The answer is No. Did I miss the service? The answer is Yes and I still do.
I wasn't waiting for my 20 to take retirement, but just before I hit the 20 year mark things started to change and I didn't like what I say coming, so I took the easy way out and quit.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 PM

521 posts, read 298,270 times
I have plenty of friends well over 20 years active in the Army. I retired at 24 active duty. There were no shortage of jobs, and my assignment officer was more than happy to keep me in because the senior level staffs need minions to keep the day-to-day going. My bosses kept asking me to take jobs they couldn't fill.

The Army wore me out, plain and simple. The retirement doesn't compensate me for me or my family's sacrifice (never expected it to)--you can attempt to monetize what fair is to someone who will NEVER blink when you say GO and DO--but most of us just want what we were promised. It used to be called the Profession of Arms, and we thought that was a pretty big thing to live up to...

I did a few years in combat zones. I even spent a minute or two in direct combat. I never worried about who was getting promoted or retiring from a desk in safety and comfort--it happens across the military, and there is always contempt and rivalry between the line and everyone else. I worked for senior officers who never spent a day within an ocean of combat, and they made sacrifices and freely gave themselves to serve--the ethic is the same whether you get sent or not, same as the retirement.

And there are cooks, mechanics, and drivers sitting quietly in bars right now with more trigger time than the loud "operator" telling stories in the corner--if you've been there, you know what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues