Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,998,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is no double dipping any more. They eliminated that 20 years ago.
You have that backwards.

The changed the law about 20 years ago to allow senior officers to earn a GS pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:59 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,134,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
You have that backwards.

The changed the law about 20 years ago to allow senior officers to earn a GS pension.
Oh well, they need it if anyone does...

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,289,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There is no double dipping any more. They eliminated that 20 years ago.
incorrect - thank Bill Clinton for that change.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:32 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,289,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I worked with guys who put in 30 years and now have a 75K per year pension. The very next month after retiring their last command magically converts a billet that was military to a DOD Civ position at the GS-15 level. They do 10+ years as a GS-15 making close to 200k with their pension and then retire at 65 with 100K worth of pension payments and free medical. These same people complain about people scamming the government when they're clearly trying to take all they can from it.
think your facts are off on several points

Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,998,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
think your facts are off on several points
Which facts?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM

460 posts, read 776,099 times
Another disturbing trend that seems to be occurring these days, though thankfully not very often, is that some potential employers are making job offers to military retirees with the starting salaries reduced by the amount of their military pensions. Their logic seems to be that since you are making this pension salary anyway, you don't need the 'additional income' that the full authorized salary for the position would have been. I've seen more than one veteran on LinkedIn comment that this happened to them during job interviews (thankfully they promptly told the bewildered recruiter to go stuff it, and walked out of the interview).

It never ceases to amaze me the greed and arrogance that the hiring officials within these companies have. Disregarding for the time being that the much older worker is going to be behind his or her peers anyway starting a new career at age 40, where does the idea that the government salary should 'replace' the private companies salary? I wonder how the job interview would go if those veterans said "Sure, I'll take a 50% reduction in my salary from XYZ company since I'm already earning a pension. Is it OK if I only do 50% of the expected work? How about if I take two extra days off during the week?"

Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,587,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
Another disturbing trend that seems to be occurring these days, though thankfully not very often, is that some potential employers are making job offers to military retirees with the starting salaries reduced by the amount of their military pensions.
It has been a long time practice which I was advised/warned of by several personnel officers over 20 years ago when I was retiring. It not only applies to retired military but to civilians. It's really a part of being able to negotiate with employers. There is no perfect solution or answer.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,587,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
DoD positions was what was being discussed--a military billet being changed to a civilian billet--and it had been proposed as though it were a common occurrence.
My apologies. My misunderstanding of what was being discussed.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM

28,597 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I don't think that's accurate, unless you mean something different than I do.

I do know retired CSMs, MSGs, COLs, and LTCs who are drawing their military retirement pay and are GS employees.
I'm not really sure why anyone thinks someone receiving retirement pay from one job should not be permitted to work a different job and get both paychecks. But what Congress did was to prevent the service years from one government job being counted twice toward retirement in the second job.

Congress created the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) in 1986, and it became effective on January 1, 1987. Since that time, new Federal civilian employees who have retirement coverage are covered by FERS.

Crediting Military Service for FERS When You Are Receiving Military Retired Pay

You cannot receive credit for any military service in your FERS retirement computation, if you are receiving military retired pay, unless you were awarded the retired pay:
  • Due to a service-connected disability either incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war, or
  • Under the provisions of Chapter 1223, Title 10, U.S.C. (pertaining to retirement from a reserve component of the Armed Forces).
However, you can elect to waive the retired pay and have the military service added to your civilian service in computing your FERS annuity. In addition to waiving your military retired pay you MUST pay a deposit for your post 1956 military deposit prior to separating from your agency in order for it to be creditable in your FERS retirement case.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,603,039 times
basically I served .But going forward fair is hard the key word. its really promising a lot of people what we can not deleiver.often it turns out to be politically handled which means just kicking the can down the road until crisis occurs then much worse reforms.Its no different than I believe disable veterans should receive much more compensations that some who retired with 20 years and likely can continued forward with another career.one reason With cobstabt deployemnts I have second thoguhton all volunteer er military. I also see that combat MOS troops should be treated different as far as salary ;benefits and retirement as to years needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues