Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,911,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The way disability is granted is an additional burden. I don't know of a single military retiree that doesn't claim some disability and get additonal retirement pay for it. I know some are genuinely disabled, but many are bogus.

My dear friend please read up on the Camp Lejeune drinking water.
My dear friend please read up on Gulf War Syndrome.
My dear friend please read up on Agent Orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 AM

5,039 posts, read 6,322,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
My dear friend please read up on the Camp Lejeune drinking water.
My dear friend please read up on Gulf War Syndrome.
My dear friend please read up on Agent Orange.
I'm pretty sure Bideshi did say some are genuinely disabled. Some != all.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,911,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I worked with guys who put in 30 years and now have a 75K per year pension. The very next month after retiring their last command magically converts a billet that was military to a DOD Civ position at the GS-15 level. They do 10+ years as a GS-15 making close to 200k with their pension and then retire at 65 with 100K worth of pension payments and free medical. These same people complain about people scamming the government when they're clearly trying to take all they can from it.

Yes, I have a friend of a friend who knows someone who met a person who once ran across similar.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,592,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The way disability is granted is an additional burden. I don't know of a single military retiree that doesn't claim some disability and get additonal retirement pay for it. I know some are genuinely disabled, but many are bogus.
I am a military retiree who has claimed Zero disability... I have met others.

I wonder if you know that whatever you draw in a disability payment, is deducted from your retirement pay. The only real difference is that you don't pay income tax on the disability payment.

So, you pick on some people who draw disability because you think it's "bogus".

Old 12-28-2013, 07:30 AM

28,597 posts, read 18,634,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I wonder if you know that whatever you draw in a disability payment, is deducted from your retirement pay. The only real difference is that you don't pay income tax on the disability payment.
This is true.

The difference is this: As I've said a couple of times, retirement is not a "pension," it's a "pay." That means like all military "pays" it's part of the annual military pay appropriation by Congress. The portion of retirement compensation that is considered "disability" is not a military pay, however, and it's part of the Veteran's Administration appropriation, so it's coming out of a different federal budget pot.

Makes a difference for government appropriations and budgets, but the only bottomline difference to the retiree is that few hundred dollars is not taxed. Effectively, "disability" is merely an income tax deduction.

As far as who gets it: Most retirees who have disability were able to gain it because they suffered real injury during their careers that was properly noted in their medical records at the time. Medical practioners already know that if you broke an ankle in your 20s, it's going to come back on you in your 50s (and I'll testify to that right now).

I have no doubt that most retirees fall into that category, suffering damage directly related to their military duties. Even in the Air Force: I'm suffering now from knee and back injuries gained during military operations, as well as hearing loss from the flightline. I know some F-16 mechanics who are suffering continued chemical issues from being doused with hydrazine on the flightline (it was supposed to be a "safe" form of hydrazine).

There's probably darned few soldiers from a line combat MOS who isn't suffering some disability. We're going to see a lot of Army and Marine women retirees a few years from now with crippling knee and ankle problems...but they're probably going to be a big percentage who won't get disability, or will have to fight hard for it....

...because they John Wayned it during their careers and didn't make note of their injuries while still active duty. Getting disability from an unnoted injury is extremely tough.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:34 AM

12,049 posts, read 10,208,126 times
Quote:

So, you pick on some people who draw disability because you think it's "bogus".
That only happens if you are rated less than 50% disabled. If you are 50% or more you receive your retirement and disability intact.

And they only look at issues you had required medical care for while you were in the service. It has to be documented somewhere in your records.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 AM

28,597 posts, read 18,634,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That only happens if you are rated less than 50% disabled. If you are 50% or more you receive your retirement and disability intact.
I didn't know that.

But those guys really are screwed up.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 AM

37,296 posts, read 61,087,401 times
Quote:
As I stated previously in this thread, Same here.

Quote:
... I wonder if you know that whatever you draw in a disability payment, is deducted from your retirement pay. The only real difference is that you don't pay income tax on the disability payment.
That was how it was explained to me when I retired.

I was told that I have five disabilities, that each have very low ratings. Nothing I do will effect how much I get paid.

My total earnings [Gross income in IRS terms] are not high enough to become taxed. So there is no difference.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,998,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes, I have a friend of a friend who knows someone who met a person who once ran across similar.
Did you miss the part where I said that I worked with them? As in, they're personal friends and coworkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I didn't know that.

But those guys really are screwed up.
Most are.

But, there are always some who are trying to game the system.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM

37,296 posts, read 61,087,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

And they only look at issues you had required medical care for while you were in the service. It has to be documented somewhere in your records.
Also in many states once you are 100% disabled than there are other benefits that kick in. Like a free hunting license or 5% discount on property taxes. Woo Hoo, all you have to do is be restricted to a wheelchair and look at all those great benefits.

< Before anyone throws mud at me, there is some sarcasm in that last sentence >

I do not want to be 50% to 100% disabled. Nobody wants that. To cry that those guys are taking advantage is bad form.

Like most retirees; I have a sore this, restricted motion in that, and a bunch of conditions that will worsen as I get older. Nobody wants their disabilities to worsen.

If you want to kick someone for getting 'free' money from Uncle Sam go kick someone who has not bled for their nation.

As for 'tax-free', I would earn more flipping burgers. I pay no income taxes. All of my pay is taxable. I do not earn high enough to be taxed. I am merely a retired US servicemember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues