Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

98 posts, read 685,458 times

Advertisements

Perks (so to speak) for being attached(in a battalion) to an Infantry or combat related branch when you're a Transport, Quartermaster or a Finance 2nd/1st Lieutenant officer?

(e.g; Instead of being assigned as a Signal officer in a unit)

*** I read Signal officers can be attached/assigned to Infantry Battalions, so there's has to be some educational/overall good management experience that could be gained if assigned to a battalion, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,649 times
You'd be assigned to either their forward support company or their HHC in the support platoon. There would not be any special "perk" just because you're in an infantry battalion.

As a finance officer, you'd never be in those units.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,346,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
You'd be assigned to either their forward support company or their HHC in the support platoon. There would not be any special "perk" just because you're in an infantry battalion.

As a finance officer, you'd never be in those units.
I lived being a QM LT (one of several CS/CSS LTs) attached to an Infantry BN for a deployment back in the 90s. It's not normal, but one of the others was indeed a Finance LT-for a task force, it certainly can happen.

Perk: better PT, more "hooah", and more fun than you'll ever get in a pure support unit.

Perk or yank: if you're decent at your job, they'll completely leave you alone to do "that loggie stuff." If you suck, they'll ride you unmercifully.

"Perk": prepare to round out the senior rater profile for combat arms LTs, whether you suck or are decent. How much you round it out (e.g., the strength of the writeup) will depend on how decent you were on your job. It's a fact of life in that situation.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Hooah part has to be the high speed 'Engineering' schooling opportunities and outdoor scenarios must of us think about. Reason to keep engineering as the #1 combat choice even if West Point cadetsprobably gets most of these slots.

The rating system surely got more interesting/complex, hazards of a downsized Army I suppose for such a change. Good to see your point there, from A,B,C grading to A,B,C,D ..like more reasons not to promote from 0-3 and beyond in my view which is nice to see.

Quote:
Gone from the OER will be the "outstanding performance, must promote," "satisfactory performance, promote," and "unsatisfactory performance, do not promote" boxes. Instead, raters will now choose from "excels," "proficient," "capable" and "unsatisfactory," Mustion said.

The online tool that will allow officers to rate other officers will limit the number of "excels" ratings they can offer a particular grade to less than 50 percent. During an officer's career, the system will ensure the rater rates less than 50 percent of captains, for instance, as "excels." Such information about a rater's rating history will be part of his or her "rater profile." Right now, raters do not have a "rater profile," while senior raters do.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM

I have over 20 years on active duty. I'll bet you my next paycheck that you will never be assigned to an infantry battalion as a finance officer- it's not on their MTOE. Might you be attached on a deployment? Sure, but I have several deployments under my belt and I have never seen a finance LT task organized to an infantry battalion and I cannot think of one credible reason they would be. Spare me your pontification- I have been on active duty for over 20 years on active duty and spent 5 years in the National Guard when I was in HS and college. You are not going to enlighten me on anything.

By the way, you can do "Hooah PT" in any unit. It's called leadership- make it happen.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I have over 20 years on active duty. I'll bet you my next paycheck that you will never be assigned to an infantry battalion as a finance officer- it's not on their MTOE. Might you be attached on a deployment? Sure, but I have several deployments under my belt and I have never seen a finance LT task organized to an infantry battalion and I cannot think of one credible reason they would be. Spare me your pontification- I have been on active duty for over 20 years on active duty and spent 5 years in the National Guard when I was in HS and college. You are not going to enlighten me on anything.

By the way, you can do "Hooah PT" in any unit. It's called leadership- make it happen.
Wow. Little touchy?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Spare me your pontification- I have been on active duty for over 20 years on active duty and spent 5 years in the National Guard when I was in HS and college. You are not going to enlighten me on anything.

Thanks for the good info Arty. 1 month 1 week now this Sunday for suitability review and waiting, have to keep patient. Good recruiter said I'll be fine, just waiting and waiting now

Have a good one guys

Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Wow. Little touchy?
...so says the guy who got "touchy" over boots?

Quote:
Why? Because you feel like it? Fund it yourself.

You are the one making an assertion and advocating a very expensive change. The burden of proof or convincing the establishment is on you. Based on what I'm reading here, the establishment ain't buying it, which leaves you with the burden of proof.

Including the nonexistent studies showing the proof of what you are advocating.

Many? Name five. If there's many that should be a total piece of cake for you. They must be scientific, randomized, double-blind studies that provide enough statistical evidence to infer that there are significant benefits to the type of shoe you are advocating-not the advertising or gushing links you provided earlier. The only one that was any kind of study (Barefoot running claims and controversies: a review of the literature.

Barefoot running claims and c... [J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2011 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI)

stated

Here's a clue for you: acceptable does not mean preferable.

In the absence of those studies, I can be just as assured in saying your ideas are foolish and ill-informed, the kind of ideas a raw boot comes up with, and you are going to absolutely get your a** handed to you on a platter on active duty by your petty officer.

If there are no studies, give it up. Tilt at another windmill. Or, you know, don't, and get some experience before trying to change an entire system without any proof.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Wow. Okay.

1) I had well over 20 active years myself, including time as an NCO, additional time in the Guard, and 3 deployments. You're not the only guy who's been in the rodeo.

2) I saw two separate cases where a finance LT was attached to a combat arms task force.

3) Your background doesn't make you right, or me right...it makes it your background. I was sharing my own experience here.

4) You're "leadership" comment can be stowed...somewhere. If you haven't been in a CSS unit, you simply don't have the background to understand the differences in PT culture. "Leadership" can only go so far when you're a staff officer, or even a platoon leader or commander, with explicit direction from higher-level commanders on what level and intensity to take PT to.

5) Take your own pontificating and...anyway. Just spare me, yourself. We can agree to disagree.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Wow. Okay.

1) I had well over 20 active years myself, including time as an NCO, additional time in the Guard, and 3 deployments.

2) I saw two separate cases where a finance LT was attached to a combat arms task force.

3) Your background doesn't make you right, or me right...it makes it your background. I was sharing my own experience here.

4) You're "leadership" comment can be stowed...somewhere. If you haven't been in a CSS unit, you simply don't have the background.

5) Take your own pontificating and, uh, store it.
Oh, uh, OK. As I said, a finance LT won't be assigned to an infantry battalion. I also said, a finance LT could be attached to an infantry battalion (though highly unlikely).. a battalion and a task force are two different animals. Reading... you should try it. You've obviously not served as a combat arms officer. You don't have the background. So your statement about combat arms units can be "stowed"....somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues