Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times

Advertisements

So, after serving his country for 22 years, my husband has developed severe back pain. He's been retired for 10+ years now and his pain has progressively gotten worse. He had a small procedure at WRMC prior to retiring.

A civilian doctor has now diagnosed him with Scheuermann's Disease, basically a hunched back, and said there is nothing they can do except manage the pain. He is now trying to get in to the VA (service related issue) to see what they say.

At this point I am ready to pay out-of-pocket if needed for a chiropractor or maybe to try acupuncture. Anybody out there with any experience on this diagnosis and what worked for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
As a military retiree, your DH has Tricare. He can see any doctor in the nation, at any hospital.

As retirees, there is no requirement for our medical issues to be service-connected, for them to be treated.

The VA is a needed service for vets, but your DH and I are retirees. Obviously he can go to the VA, but much better facilities are close at hand.

I hope that your DH can find a cure.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
So, after serving his country for 22 years, my husband has developed severe back pain. He's been retired for 10+ years now and his pain has progressively gotten worse. He had a small procedure at WRMC prior to retiring.

A civilian doctor has now diagnosed him with Scheuermann's Disease, basically a hunched back, and said there is nothing they can do except manage the pain. He is now trying to get in to the VA (service related issue) to see what they say.

At this point I am ready to pay out-of-pocket if needed for a chiropractor or maybe to try acupuncture. Anybody out there with any experience on this diagnosis and what worked for them?
Well, from what you posted (had a small procedure prior to retiring) if connected to his disease process, because he served greater than 8 yrs of service, he can get "EPTS, but aggravated by military service" rating consideration thru the VA for this disease.

Because Scheuermann's disease is considered to be a form of juvenile osteochondrosis of the spine, it would be considered EPTS, but again, he met the gate of having served more than 8 yrs without discharge for it AND he was treated for it before separation from the military in the form of retirement. That makes it EPTS, with service aggravation according to the VASRD. He should file for it ASAP, unless of course, he is already 100% disabled, in which case it will do nothing for him to file.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Well, from what you posted (had a small procedure prior to retiring) if connected to his disease process, because he served greater than 8 yrs of service, he can get "EPTS, but aggravated by military service" rating consideration thru the VA for this disease.

Because Scheuermann's disease is considered to be a form of juvenile osteochondrosis of the spine, it would be considered EPTS, but again, he met the gate of having served more than 8 yrs without discharge for it AND he was treated for it before separation from the military in the form of retirement. That makes it EPTS, with service aggravation according to the VASRD. He should file for it ASAP, unless of course, he is already 100% disabled, in which case it will do nothing for him to file.
Whether he files, or not. It will still be treated for free, along with every other medical issue he has, at any civilian hospital.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Not worried about the access to care. As I mentioned, he has seen a civilian othopaedic who ordered the MRIs (the doctor's answer was yes, you have issues, but all we can do is manage the pain and offered him narcotics, which he declined). He has done physical therapy and gets no relief.

He is in the process of getting assigned to a clinic at our local VA and we will see what they have to say. My hope is we can find a way to treat this that will give him some relief from the pain as his quality of life is non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues