U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:56 PM

41 posts, read 73,712 times

Advertisements

I just got out of the military 1 year ago and since then moved back in with family, now i kin of miss the traveling. I love mu family to death but i now feel like i lost my independence. Im 25 years old and i feel like moving from california to texas. Friends in california are telling me not to move but then again they are not doing anything with theyre lives. I want to move because i want to be independent again and go to school somewhere new. Ima miss my family so much but i cant live my life i im stuck at my parents house. What should i do? Should i move to another state and begin a new life with new opportunities or settle here at home? If anybody is wondering i cant afford to live in california since it is so expensive and i wast stationed in texas thats why i am choosing that state. What is your guys opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 95,497 times
I think you should go for it I lived in Round Rock and liked it. Your young do it now or you might regret that you didnt try
its affordable and people are nice. I got a job pretty easy when I went make sure you have something lined up before you go and research best area for you good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM

537 posts, read 990,065 times
From experience, if you're uncertain as to whether you should move or not, you shouldn't. I regret awful financial decisions more than I do waiting a year or two to build up some savings and understand what it is I want.

What's keeping you from being independent where you are? You don't have to live in your parents' home. Independence isn't a location.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:39 PM

35,121 posts, read 40,004,782 times
Why not go back into the Military?

Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM

I cant afford to live in california because the high cost of living and i got medically discharged from the military

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,483,367 times
Why not study for a career or look for a job that involves travel? My husband retired from the military and went to work for the DoD. He travels to Hawaii, Virginia, Florida, Washington State as well as several locations in the Middle East, Guam, Japan on a rotating basis. Just found out he may travel to Israel, Nepal, New Zealand, and Austraila this coming year. We (my young daughter and I) travel with him alot and the miles and hotel points we earn allow us to take family trips when he's on leave.

It's not a lifestyle for everyone. Some of military friends get out and are DONE with moving around and travelling. Some of our military friends are like you though -

Honestly, at 25 , it might be better to consider what your long term goals are rather than just moving to move, KWIM? I assume that you qualify for the GI Bill? It looks like you have posted this same sort of question over the last two years about a couple cities. But I get the impression that you haven't actaully done anything towardsyour goals (nursing school, getting your own place) ? Sorry if that seems harsh, but it kinda seems like you are waiting for things to happen vs. making them happen for you....

ps - I'd look for some new friends. Or at least consider your current friends motivations for wanting you to stay somewhere you can't afford to live, spinning your wheels like they are...

Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM

21,582 posts, read 14,193,916 times
You need to decide what you want to do with your life. What have you been doing during the year after discharge?

Once you decide on a career, then you decide how to pursue it. Even if you are home, you will be working toward a goal, and that makes every sacrifice worthwhile. Please do research about what jobs need good applicants and don't just obtain a degree without knowing what you are aiming for.

If you moved to TX, how would you finance school and living expenses?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 PM

5,045 posts, read 5,964,254 times
I would suggest doing a little more research, as well, and you don't need to share the answers on a public forum.

1. What is the best school or training program for what you want to do?

-What can you realistically afford? (if there's not enough money from the VA bill, check into other types of aids and grants. The financial aid department at the school can help)

-Will that be offered in the area of TX where you want to live?

-Are the graduation rates acceptable?

- Will you have to pay out of state tuition?

-And lastly, make sure you're not studying at a diploma mill . . . lots of guys here are going to get CDLs at places that promise lots but are low on delivery. If it's not a name school, check with the BBB and other places about complaints.

If not, look closer to home.

2. Can you get jobs in the area that you want to do, with and without your degree or certificate?

-Can you get at least a part-time job now?

-Do you really like the area?

If so, go!

Whatever you do, make a realistic budget so that you don't get involved with schooling that costs thousands of dollars and leaves you with nothing. Don't move on dreams . . . make a realistic plan.

I understand wanting to leave when costs are high and friends aren't doing much with their lives. It's hard to be away from one's family, but that might be necessary for awhile. There are a lot of opportunities in TX. Just be sure it's affordable for you and that you have an exit plan if it really doesn't work out.

Good luck! That's a huge decision . . .

Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
I also understand leaving CA because of expense. I lived in CA and moved back to MI because of the cost of living. That being said I don't know if picking a random state without a plan is a good idea. Did you state if you know anyone in TX? The other responses asked some good questions. I wonder also how much you have saved?

Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo619 View Post
I just got out of the military 1 year ago and since then moved back in with family, now i kin of miss the traveling. I love mu family to death but i now feel like i lost my independence. Im 25 years old and i feel like moving from california to texas. Friends in california are telling me not to move but then again they are not doing anything with theyre lives. I want to move because i want to be independent again and go to school somewhere new. Ima miss my family so much but i cant live my life i im stuck at my parents house. What should i do? Should i move to another state and begin a new life with new opportunities or settle here at home? If anybody is wondering i cant afford to live in california since it is so expensive and i wast stationed in texas thats why i am choosing that state. What is your guys opinions?
I have a couple thousand saved up and i am choosing texas because i have close friends there i already know what i want to go to school for down there and have a prettey solid plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues