U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 AM

80 posts, read 20,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've got to raise the BS flag. What MOS (or whatever) did you have that offered a 90K signing bonus to re-up for only 2 years?
It's not BS, he's more than likely referring to a STAR reenlistment. As a Navy Nuke you can get that amount to reenlist for an additional 2 years of services.
My son sees the dollar signs in front of him and is considering it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 02:56 PM

26,809 posts, read 41,445,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
It's not BS, he's more than likely referring to a STAR reenlistment. As a Navy Nuke you can get that amount to reenlist for an additional 2 years of services.
My son sees the dollar signs in front of him and is considering it.
STAR reenlistments are when you reenlist for an automatic advancement [E4 to E5 or E5 to E6].

SRB reenlistments are when you get cash.

I was eligible for either one.

Normally to get the full amount [$60k during my career, $90k today] you have to reenlist for 4 years. But when we go in we are on 6 year contracts. A 4 year enlistment with a 2 year extension. If you hold off to your 4 year point right before your 2 year extension kicks in that is the best time to SRB reenlist. You sign a 4 year enlistment and it makes your 2 year extension go away. They write it up as a 4 year reenlistment, but you only added 2 years onto your career.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM

14,028 posts, read 21,941,692 times
I was a Navy brat. Dad served on a Destroyer. Her was stationed in San Diego and on shore leave worked for a Navel Ship and Weapons test station in Port Hueneme. As kids we grew up in Port Hueneme. One of my regrets was in not joining the Navy.

To the question can you get rich in the Military. The answer is not so much with the pay or how much you can save. The answer is with what you can use around you to grow income in other ways. One friend of my dads had a used truck lot that he ran while serving in the Navy. He would bid on used Navy trucks, paint them, clean them up, and put them on his lot. As a kid I worked at that lot, cleaning the trucks, keeping the lot clean. This guy also had some some cool cars he would fix up and flip. He took the money he made and purchased rental units.

Another guy I knew exported and imported his way to more money than he was ever going to make in the Army. He started by finding that where he was stationed the people wanted Levi's and the place he came from had a lot of Levi's. He purchased all the used Levi's he could get and sold them to stores where he was at. He kept that going when he transferred to the next place but found that they wanted something else and he found out where to get it. This continued n each time he had a new duty station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues