U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 9,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Wow, I don't even know where to begin ! Of course it is a scam, absolutely, positively. How do these guys get away with this stuff ?

I feel for you, you have invested 3 months of your emotions into this " relationship" and it has all the earmarks of someone who has set you up. Time to put on your big girl pants and stop being this guys sucker. Whenever someone you haven't even met starts asking for money lots of big red flags should go up and if they don't then you deserve to be taken advantage of.

Use your head and stop communicating with this guy. You have made a good start by standing your ground, now keep it up and follow your instincts. No one who cares about you starts asking for money, PERIOD !

Don
Thanks Don!

Oh, I've stopped talking to him. I was making 100% sure though! :-)
I "liked" him but honestly I was on alert as well.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 202 times
Hello I have a question so this guy claiming to be army contacted me I haven't said much only thing I did was a gift card like a idiot but he talking all lovely and I only been talking to him a few days am on to him but I wanted to hear it from someone besides that am a smart girl !!!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 AM

2,873 posts, read 8,291,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latin_starr1968 View Post
Here is my question to the Military community. Sorry, coz it's going to be lengthy!

I have met a soldier that is currently serving in Turkey. We have been emailing almost 3 months now. He said he was getting ready to come back to the states soon but then told me his tour was extended by 12 weeks. Ok, I can believe that. Well he's telling me that he "loves me" (which I'm not falling for but I do care for him and like him..LIKE, not love) well he told me that he could get a satellite cell phone so we could text and maybe talk on the phone. Of course, I was excited until he told me I'd have to post a one time connection fee of $300, which I'd post here in the states. He said he would pay me back as soon as he got home. I told him I couldn't do that. He asked me to borrow the money, if I could. I told him that was not an option. I told him to send me the money and I'd be happy to do so. He said being overseas, he had no access to his money. He's single with no kids or family. I asked him to contact his POA and have them wire me the money or connect it for him. He said he'd take care of it. On Valentine's day I got a text from him. He said a friend of his fringed the money and that the guys sister went to pay it. Well I asked him to call me bit he says they can't call just whenever coz of security reasons. Ok, agn, I can believe that.

He has told me that he was putting in for leave so that he can come home earlier and that he's also going to drop his retirement paperwork. He said to make the process easier he asked if I could send an email to a "diplomat" that will help him get it started. I was to email this guy wait to get the info that was requested and print them out, sign then scan and send them back to the guy I'm talking to. He said the Army requires he has a beneficiary got his paper work and since he had no-one he wants to put me down. He process to tell me that there is a $550 processing fee and that he would pay me back. I told him I was NOT sending any money to anyone. Well he told me he was not happy with my decision not to help him get his retirement going. I told him I'd make him a deal. ..give me his social, CO email and his unit info. He said he couldn't do that for "security reasons" .

I don't know anything abt the Military or how they do things...
So please, someone give me some insight. Does this ring true?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Almost none of this is true. People can absolutely call from Turkey, Iraq, Afgahnistan, etc. They also have access to all their money both through online banking and on base facilities.

No one has to sign for his retirement, he doesn't need a beneficiary, and diplomats are not involved in retirements. Also, you can't leave a deployment early by taking leave. This is all simply untrue.

You can call regularly from those locations. He can't call from secure base phone lines, but he can have a satelite phone? That doesn't even make sense.

This is a scam. He probably isn't even in the military or Turkey.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM

30,570 posts, read 38,145,111 times
If this person has a cellphone, there is a free app, called WhatsApp you both can get. My son can text me from anywhere in the world.

Old Today, 10:49 PM

1 posts
I met this guy online claims to be military,when he was on his flight home he had a layover and got shot,says he needs money to pay his medical bill. Common really I need some help with this one. Some military department emailed me asking for the money as well,what the heck is going on.

Old Today, 10:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 7,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriG1 View Post
I met this guy online claims to be military,when he was on his flight home he had a layover and got shot,says he needs money to pay his medical bill. Common really I need some help with this one. Some military department emailed me asking for the money as well,what the heck is going on.
Obviously it's a scam.

Tricare will cover his bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues