U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,037,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressog View Post
Can Marine at 17 years old make Sargent in three years ? This soldier claims he went in the service at 17 years old . Joined the Marines and went to Koreaa and fought for 1 year and left two years later as a Sargent .is it possible to make Sargent in 3 years?
Is he a soldier or is he a Marine? The army has soldiers. The Marine Corps has Marines. There is a difference. Was this doing the Korean War back in 1950 to 1953? If so, it's quite possible, especially if he saw lot of combat. I was in the Marine Corps during a time of peace and I made sergeant in three years and one month, and that's with no meritorious promotions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM

4,766 posts, read 3,338,328 times
Quite possible. Made Marine Corps Sergeant in three years during the Vietnam War. There are more rapid promotions during war time with rapid increases in troop strength. In peacetime promotions can slow down.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM

25,215 posts, read 41,205,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressog View Post
Can Marine at 17 years old make Sargent in three years ? This soldier claims he went in the service at 17 years old . Joined the Marines and went to Koreaa and fought for 1 year and left two years later as a Sargent .is it possible to make Sargent in 3 years?
You must be at least 17 years old (17-year old applicants require parental consent) to join the U.S. Military. Some have gotten in earlier in the past by illegal methods...

It is possible to make Sergeant in three years...

Old 04-30-2019, 06:54 PM

5,028 posts, read 2,201,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
You must be at least 17 years old (17-year old applicants require parental consent) to join the U.S. Military. Some have gotten in earlier in the past by illegal methods...

It is possible to make Sergeant in three years...
It’s very possible. A friend of mine made sergeant in a couple of months in Vietnam. Most of the nco’s in his company were Kia or wia

Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 AM

650 posts, read 376,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
It’s very possible. A friend of mine made sergeant in a couple of months in Vietnam. Most of the nco’s in his company were Kia or wia
Yep, they were often referred to as “shake and bakes”. My Dad was drafted in late 1968, did his basic, AIT, NCO school, OJT, then off to Vietnam in February 1969 as an E-5 Sgt. Two months later he was back in the states, double amputee, Purple Heart. The Army was losing a lot of NCOs quick.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 AM

19,798 posts, read 11,033,689 times
Quote:
If he has dementia, he might have his facts confused...

Who is "When they interview him"? Why would a local newspaper show proof? If they have a good reporter he might get some real facts. If they send a reporter who can't find his own buttocks with both hands and has no clue of the different between an Airman, Coast Guardsman, Marine, Sailor or Soldier, then who know what they will do...

A service star is a miniature metal device worn by members of the uniformed services of the United States on medals and ribbons issued by the uniformed services to denote additional awards or periods of service. Depending on the award and the manner in which they are used, they may also be referred to as campaign stars or battle stars.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star
I would add that they are stars rather than oak leaf clusters (which serve the same purpose--identifying additional awards) because the award itself is war related.

So a decoration that is not war or combat related (like a meritorious service medal) will have oak leaf clusters (bronze or silver) for additional awards while one that is war or combat related (like a Purple Heart) will have stars (bronze or silver) for additional awards.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM

5,504 posts, read 8,832,394 times
Quote:
If he has dementia, he might have his facts confused...

Who is "When they interview him"? Why would a local newspaper show proof? If they have a good reporter he might get some real facts. If they send a reporter who can't find his own buttocks with both hands and has no clue of the different between an Airman, Coast Guardsman, Marine, Sailor or Soldier, then who know what they will do...

A service star is a miniature metal device worn by members of the uniformed services of the United States on medals and ribbons issued by the uniformed services to denote additional awards or periods of service. Depending on the award and the manner in which they are used, they may also be referred to as campaign stars or battle stars.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star
Reporters these days don't fact check stories like these. I saw a story about an older man that was in the Army Airforce in WW 2 as a gunner in the Tuskegee airmen program. The reporter went on what the guy said in that he claimed to serve in the Pacific as part of an all black bomber crew. He also claimed that he flew missions over Tokyo in his B-25 bomber.

The statements he made raised an eyebrow since other than the carrier based strike at Tokyo in 42 there were never B-25's flying over Japan. (They didn't have the range needed)

I did some quick research and it turns out the all black bomber crew program was cancelled and they never deployed. I am sure the man served in some capacity during the war but not as a bomber crew member.

It was easy to verify in less than 5 minutes but this "reporter" just took everything said to her as fact and wrote the story.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM

7,109 posts, read 4,037,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would add that they are stars rather than oak leaf clusters (which serve the same purpose--identifying additional awards) because the award itself is war related.

So a decoration that is not war or combat related (like a meritorious service medal) will have oak leaf clusters (bronze or silver) for additional awards while one that is war or combat related (like a Purple Heart) will have stars (bronze or silver) for additional awards.
I think it more depends on the branch of service. I received oak leaf clusters for my second and third air medals that were awarded for service in Afghanistan.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM

19,798 posts, read 11,033,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I think it more depends on the branch of service. I received oak leaf clusters for my second and third air medals that were awarded for service in Afghanistan.
Air Force Air Medals are not specifically war related decorations.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM

5,028 posts, read 2,201,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
In Vietnam the criteria for an air medal was all over the place. It varied greatly from unit to unit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or