Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
you could go to another recruiter and dont mention the drug use

if you were never arrested for drug use they wont know unless you tell them

While this could be true, the recruiter may have put comments into our world wide computer system. This system is designed so that people can't do that. It is based on identifying information, so if the recruiter had a full name and DOB, or a SSN, it might be in our system.

Or, during a security clearance investigation, friends could be questioned by federal agents and tell the investigators, now causing a fraud charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Ok telling the recruiter was stupid. Some things are better left unsaid.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,925 times
My son was disqualified from the Air Force for ADHD,ODD,anxiety, and use of growth hormone. Which he used for short stature. He hasn't taken and meds four four years . We had him evaluated by a PHD and he cleared him of all of the above except for growth hormone use . But they still disqualified him could you explain why . Thanks

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Page 41 of the department of defense regulation, DODI 6130 states that "Current or history of pituitary dysfunction (253), to include history of growth hormone use" is a disqualification. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know why, but it is. I'm not sure of the long term side effects of needing growth hormone, but you could look up his medication. Perhaps it causes muscle or bone issues, or long term kidney or liver issues or something they DOD is worried about having to treat or pay for later. Just an idea.

Also, ODD is a complete disqualification. How can you expect the MILITARY, where following orders and obeying authority is life or death, to accept people who have had a disorder that literally means they have trouble with authority and rules? Same regulation, page 47, "Current or history of disturbance of conduct, impulse control (312.3), oppositional
defiant (313.81), other behavior disorders (313), or personality disorder" are disqualifications.

Page 48 specifies that anxiety is a DQ, current or PAST. So he has had a history of coping with life, and you think they're going to take him into a situation where he will face more stress than average? What caused his anxiety? If it was just normal life and not a traumatic event, how will handle a deployment, watching someone die, long hours, being away from home, etc? There is too much of a risk he will become symptomatic again.

With ADD/ADHD, he is disqualified unless:
(1) The applicant has not required an Individualized Education Program or work
accommodations since the age of 14. (Does he meet this requirement?)
(2) There is no history of comorbid mental disorders. (He does NOT meet this requirement. This means only ONE disorder was diagnosed, he was diagnosed with at least 4. ODD, Anxiety, ADD, and ADHD. They'll waive ONE and only ONE diagnosis)
(3) The applicant has never taken more than a single daily dosage of medication or has
not been prescribed medication for this condition for more than 24 cumulative months after the
age of 14. (was he on meds for more than 24 months? or was he ever on more than 1 medication at a time? If so, his clinical symptoms and treatment were too severe for us to take the chance).
(4) During periods off of medication after the age of 14, the applicant has been able to
maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average without accommodations. (Can you prove this with transcripts and pharmacy records?)

Overall, the military isn't a place for someone who has a history of these disorders because the extreme stress and lack of control can cause them to pop back up.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 AM

Listen, I have Anxiety Disorder. It developed after I'd been serving for over 10 years, I didn't join with it. It's so bad that I have to take 2 medications to get through the day without chest pain and sweating from panic attacks that happen for no reason.

If I wanted to get "cleared" by a PhD I could easily do that. I could go in, answer the questions the right way, tell him I'd stopped taking the medications, was happy and clam, sleeping well, and not having panic attacks. I could stay I learned how to meditate and started exercising, and all my symptoms went away.

I could get cleared if it was in my best interest... but these disorders rarely ever completely go away. If they do go away, there is a high likelihood that life events will bring them back.

Getting "cleared" doesn't mean you no longer have any issues, getting cleared means you answered the questions the right way. Him being "cleared" holds FAR FAR FAR less weight then the original symptoms, original diagnosis, and original needs for treatment.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,635 times
hello, my son is trying to go into the military. ive done some research and apparently some laws have become less stringent in the last year. anyway, to cut to the chase, he has been arrested for possession of marijauna in 2015 i believe, maybe a year before. also, he was issued a marijauna citation in june 2017, however, marijauna here in our state is only a civil offense, does this still hinder his ability to join the airforce? does the fact that his offense in 2015 was a conviction or not (expunged) also hinder his ability to enter the military? would he be issued a waiver to join? in the past he was a party go-er and can imagine he did other drugs like LSD and cocaine when he was hanging out with the wrong crowd, however not caught or prosecuted by any means, only recreational. if he wants to go to the recruiter i can also imagine he should be honest with it all and hope for the best.

--concerned Dad

Old 01-25-2018, 03:43 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I think NEVER Admit anything that is going to make you look bad, EVERYBODY has some things they might not be proud of so why admit anything that is going to hurt you if it is not going to be a issue in future. Same thing goes for any employers or girlfriends/boyfriends keep your past indiscretions to yourself.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerdedfather1 View Post
hello, my son is trying to go into the military. ive done some research and apparently some laws have become less stringent in the last year. anyway, to cut to the chase, he has been arrested for possession of marijauna in 2015 i believe, maybe a year before. also, he was issued a marijauna citation in june 2017, however, marijauna here in our state is only a civil offense, does this still hinder his ability to join the airforce? does the fact that his offense in 2015 was a conviction or not (expunged) also hinder his ability to enter the military? would he be issued a waiver to join? in the past he was a party go-er and can imagine he did other drugs like LSD and cocaine when he was hanging out with the wrong crowd, however not caught or prosecuted by any means, only recreational. if he wants to go to the recruiter i can also imagine he should be honest with it all and hope for the best.

--concerned Dad
It depends on the the recruiter and commander. I know a recruiter in California that can't get marijuana possession waivers through his commander, but I can easily get them approved in my state.

However, ANY drug use other than marijuana, even once in his whole live, is a permanent disqualification and no waiver is possible. There is absolutely zero chance he can ever join if he has done any drugs more than marijuana. I believe this is the same for all branches.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Do you think if i try to join the Army national guard i would get disqualified for using growth hormone?

Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqnerdgz123 View Post
Do you think if i try to join the Army national guard i would get disqualified for using growth hormone?
It depends on too many details for anyone to answer here. It depends on when, for how long, why it was needed, the underlying condition, the specific hormone, what other related medical conditions you have. No way anyone other than MEPS can answer this question. Get all your medical records and submit to a recruiter for a MEPS evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues