U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 56,251 times

Advertisements

I went to the Air Force recruiting office and did all the standard starting questions. Of which, was the subject of drugs. I have used marijuana and cocaine many years in the past and was not 'dependent' on either, mostly peer pressure and poor choice of friends. This was over 8 years ago now and I was honest in telling the recruiter what I had used. Does this mean that I will never be able to join? No testing, waivers(not exactly sure what those even are), red tape to go through? I want nothing more than to serve and this news was devastating to me. Any advice? help? other branch options?

~Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 PM

498 posts, read 624,695 times
The important things are:

1. have you ever been in any sort of counseling or therapy for drug use?
2. have you ever been arrested or criminally charged for any drug crime? (including sealed, expunged, or dropped charges)

If either of those are yes, you're permanently disqualified no matter what. If both are no, you're probably disqualified but you can still potentially get a waiver (which is basically just authorization for you to enlist with a disqualifying condition).

Keep in mind that waivers are not guaranteed, and with the current downsizing it's entirely possible that they'll simply say you can't have one.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM

No to both of those questions. How does one go about trying to get a waiver?

Thank you for the information.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

498 posts, read 624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregew View Post
No to both of those questions. How does one go about trying to get a waiver?

Thank you for the information.
It's done through the recruiter. Any paperwork you need to do to enlist will be given to you by him/her. I didn't need a waiver and I've never been a recruiter so I don't know if there's anything you personally have to do for it, but if there is the recruiter will tell you.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,388,784 times
Try the other services, the Navy has certain time frames (any use in the last 12 months, etc.) that are are disqualifying. I can't remember them off the top of my head but any recruiter could tell you.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Thank you for the responses. I talked with a Navy recruiter briefly, he said that it is not permanently disqualifying, a waiver would be needed. Air Force on the other hand, which is what I really wanted to do, is not even accepting waivers for it. Unfortunate, but I did it to myself :/

If something changes in the needs of the military, say we go to war again or something happens, is it possible they lift the 'no waivers possible' policy?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

1,079 posts, read 834,507 times
Recruit greg,

I admire your honesty which is one of our values, keep in mind with the p**s poor economy the way it is and all downsizing going on the recruiting stations are only looking hard at Blue chip recruits, only the best of the best need apply.

Get your s@#t packed straight and your PT in order, also take a look at the State / Federal level and the National Guard, they are offering more then any other branch of service right now and after one year if you're still interested you could switch up and jump into active duty. Good Luck

And welcome to the game. Stay Proud, Stay Safe, Stay Frosty

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,735,864 times
Cocaine is an absolute disqualification for the Air Force. There is no power in the world that can waiver it. Not even the president himself, unless the rules are changed. Even ONE use of Cocaine.

Per AFRSI 36-2001, page 84.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,286,060 times
you could go to another recruiter and dont mention the drug use

if you were never arrested for drug use they wont know unless you tell them

Old 04-04-2014, 04:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,388,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
you could go to another recruiter and dont mention the drug use

if you were never arrested for drug use they wont know unless you tell them
Or they could man-up and accept the consequences of their actions and follow the rules for enlisting into the service. Nothing like starting a career based off of lies and deceit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues