U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM

24,140 posts, read 38,906,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Why wouldn't a soldier coming back from Iraq and/or Afghanistan not know what's going on?
The U.S. Army has over 150 Enlisted Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), or in civilian terminology, jobs... Take a look at them: Search Through Careers in the Army | goarmy.com you can easily be in country and really not know what is going on in other areas or units. Search for Infanty related jobs on that site.

You might also look at their section for parents: For Parents | goarmy.com

There is a lot of information on that site, yes, it is information created by the U.S. Army to provide information to those people looking for information.

There is a section about Officer Candidate School (OCS): Officer Candidate School and Army OCS Requirements | goarmy.com as well as ROTC information: Army ROTC: ROTC Scholarships and Requirements | goarmy.com

Good luck to you helping your son...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM

10,404 posts, read 7,488,333 times
What is his aptitude? At 16 he's allowed to take the ASVAB. He has to have certain scores for certain fields. He should really cut the FEBA mindset and figure out his best advantage, much like chess. Good leaders should be skilled at that. There are great officers (most prior enlisted ) who have some great advice for him.

There are opportunities to join rifle teams for competition if he wants to shoot. He just needs to be stellar at whatever he does and he will have a much better chance of making officer. Best wishes from a 29 yr vet with a veteran son. I'm former Marines, active duty, then went Air Guard. I wasn't too impressed with Army but now I'm working with them and I've changed my opinion. They're all noble branches.

REALLY encourage him to do something that translates to a civilian occupation. I began as an ejection seat mechanic. Not much call for that on the outside.

I'm excited for him. I hope you let us know how things play out!

Last edited by hunterseat; 04-04-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,209,880 times
I can think of plenty of jobs in the army better than an infantryman (11B). Not that many bunkers needing cleared out in the civilian world. And dont believe all those people who say it counts as police experience because it doesnt. Regardless, if he wants to join then he's picking the best time. Transitioning from the home to the military is imo the best because once you leave the home and get a taste of personal freedom losing it to the military is not fun at all.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 12 days ago)

3,954 posts, read 3,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What is his aptitude? At 16 he's allowed to take the ASVAB. He has to have certain scored for certain fields. He should really cut the FEBA mindset and figure out his best advantage, much like chess. Good leaders should be skilled at that. There are great officers (most prior enlisted ) who have some great advice for him.

There are opportunities to join rifle teams for competition if he wants to shoot. He just needs to be stellar at whatever he does and he will have a much better chance of making officer. Best wishes from a 29 yr vet with a veteran son. I'm former Marines, active duty, then went Air Guard. I wasn't too impressed with Army but now I'm working with them and I've changed my opinion. They're all noble branches.

REALLY encourage him to do something that translates to a civilian occupation. I began as an ejection seat mechanic. Not much call for that on the outside.

I'm excited for him. I hope you let us know how things play out!
Thank you I will, that's very good advice. I really appreciate the insight.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:35 PM

10,404 posts, read 7,488,333 times
You're welcome! There may be programs in place to guarantee him an officer commission. I agree about going in out of high school if he can keep focused and not lose his head with new-found "freedom". He can have a full career, retire and still have another career. He sounds like a great kiddo!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
he needs focus a trade should be the objective. it not only prepare him for exit but sustain him for life.
it will also keep him from getting killed. when you dont know how to do anything they give you a rifle.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,495,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I have a 16 year old that has said since he was 8 that he wanted to be in the military. He is in ROTC and is hell bent on serving on the front lines as an infantry soldier before going to O school. What is the best recommendations for my son on how to accomplish this? His branch of choice is the Army...
Seems to me that he's already well on his way! I've tutored plenty of military hopefuls (especially Army hopefuls), so I know as well as anyone. Make sure he excels in ROTC. Make sure he gets in touch with a local recruiter - that recruiter will be able to give you more information than anyone on an anonymous Internet forum could. He will have to take the ASVAB at some point, so get him studying for that right now if he doesn't already know about it. (The ASVAB is fairly easy to pass at a level that will earn him entrance into the military, but a higher score, especially in the verbal and mathematical parts, will open you up to better job opportunities while serving. All soldiers have "jobs" in the Army, and the best jobs go to the people with the best abilities. But hey, if he's okay with whatever job he'd qualify for, even if it's cooking food or sweeping floors, so be it.)

Honestly, I think, from what I've heard other soldiers say, his intended course of action is the best one. Many enlisted soldiers hate the notion that a person can go to a special college (such as West Point) for four years and come out as a Second Lieutenant at age 22 despite having zero battle experience. How would you like to be a Master Sergeant with 18 years in the Army, four deployments under your belt, and several rows of stripes on your dress uniform, having to say "Yes sir" to, be outranked by, and be subject to orders from, a guy 14 years your junior who has never been outside of the USA but did go through officer's training college? I sure wouldn't. I've heard that enlisted soldiers are far more likely to respect and trust an officer who has been where they are, or at least who has some military and combat experience, compared to an officer who they feel hasn't truly earned that rank. If your son gets a few years of infantry experience and then goes for his officer's commission, 2LT WiseManOnceSaid Jr. will be respected and trusted far more by the soldiers in the platoon he leads, compared to the respect and trust given to 2LT JustGotOuttaCollege.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,475,189 times
Naval Air

Hard to beat it .

Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Seems to me that he's already well on his way! I've tutored plenty of military hopefuls (especially Army hopefuls), so I know as well as anyone. Make sure he excels in ROTC. Make sure he gets in touch with a local recruiter - that recruiter will be able to give you more information than anyone on an anonymous Internet forum could. He will have to take the ASVAB at some point, so get him studying for that right now if he doesn't already know about it. (The ASVAB is fairly easy to pass at a level that will earn him entrance into the military, but a higher score, especially in the verbal and mathematical parts, will open you up to better job opportunities while serving. All soldiers have "jobs" in the Army, and the best jobs go to the people with the best abilities. But hey, if he's okay with whatever job he'd qualify for, even if it's cooking food or sweeping floors, so be it.)

Honestly, I think, from what I've heard other soldiers say, his intended course of action is the best one. Many enlisted soldiers hate the notion that a person can go to a special college (such as West Point) for four years and come out as a Second Lieutenant at age 22 despite having zero battle experience. How would you like to be a Master Sergeant with 18 years in the Army, four deployments under your belt, and several rows of stripes on your dress uniform, having to say "Yes sir" to, be outranked by, and be subject to orders from, a guy 14 years your junior who has never been outside of the USA but did go through officer's training college? I sure wouldn't. I've heard that enlisted soldiers are far more likely to respect and trust an officer who has been where they are, or at least who has some military and combat experience, compared to an officer who they feel hasn't truly earned that rank. If your son gets a few years of infantry experience and then goes for his officer's commission, 2LT WiseManOnceSaid Jr. will be respected and trusted far more by the soldiers in the platoon he leads, compared to the respect and trust given to 2LT JustGotOuttaCollege.
LOL it makes a lot of sense, I am letting him read all of your posts by the way...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Naval Air

Hard to beat it .
My father was Naval Air off of the USS Forestal (sp) just before it burned. So he knows a little about those opportunities as well. He's dead-set on Army at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or