U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
3,966 posts, read 3,196,083 times
Reputation: 3405

Advertisements

I have a 16 year old that has said since he was 8 that he wanted to be in the military. He is in ROTC and is hell bent on serving on the front lines as an infantry soldier before going to O school. What is the best recommendations for my son on how to accomplish this? His branch of choice is the Army...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 PM
 
8,768 posts, read 10,365,747 times
Reputation: 13824
Take a trip over to 109 Bee Street in Charleston and have him take a look around and see those who have served. He will probably still want to join, but he will be making that decision with part of the rose colored glasses removed. Let us know how it went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM
 
9,358 posts, read 15,818,519 times
Reputation: 17156
You mean he wants to enlist first and then go back in as an officer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
3,966 posts, read 3,196,083 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You mean he wants to enlist first and then go back in as an officer?
Yes, he wants to go front line for a year or two, I don't know if this is the best course of action. I would recommend he finish school, go Officer and then go fight, but is it difficult to transition from Enlisted to Officer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Status: "It takes a lot of balls to golf like me" (set 13 days ago)
 
Location: Charleston, SC
3,966 posts, read 3,196,083 times
Reputation: 3405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Take a trip over to 109 Bee Street in Charleston and have him take a look around and see those who have served. He will probably still want to join, but he will be making that decision with part of the rose colored glasses removed. Let us know how it went.
Good idea, thanks for the response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,633 posts, read 4,399,964 times
Reputation: 4214
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I have a 16 year old that has said since he was 8 that he wanted to be in the military. He is in ROTC and is hell bent on serving on the front lines as an infantry soldier before going to O school. What is the best recommendations for my son on how to accomplish this? His branch of choice is the Army...

He's in Junior ROTC. That's not ROTC, not by a long shot.

As to accomplishing: go see a recruiter.

He may end up an infantryman, and posted to Ft. Bliss for 4 years working in the motor pool, doing occasional NTC rotations and exercises or something. He can't dictate 'front lines', especially when we are rapidly pulling out of Afghanistan, and the life of an enlisted infantryman can be mind-numbing and annoying during peacetime. It totally depends on the unit he is assigned to.

It's not exceptionally hard to go from enlisted to officer and can, in fact, be a good way to do it. It's helpful when you're an officer to know exactly what you're doing when you blithely toss around orders (I went E to O). He simply has to finish the enlistment (honorably), apply for schools his final year, enroll in, get over the (fairly minor) hurdle of not being in the academic mindset while enlisted, and use the GI Bill to pay for most or all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,668 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Reputation: 24222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
He's in Junior ROTC. That's not ROTC, not by a long shot.

As to accomplishing: go see a recruiter.

He may end up an infantryman, and posted to Ft. Bliss for 4 years working in the motor pool, doing occasional NTC rotations and exercises or something. He can't dictate 'front lines', especially when we are rapidly pulling out of Afghanistan, and the life of an enlisted infantryman can be mind-numbing and annoying during peacetime. It totally depends on the unit he is assigned to.

It's not exceptionally hard to go from enlisted to officer and can, in fact, be a good way to do it. It's helpful when you're an officer to know exactly what you're doing when you blithely toss around orders (I went E to O). He simply has to finish the enlistment (honorably), apply for schools his final year, enroll in, get over the (fairly minor) hurdle of not being in the academic mindset while enlisted, and use the GI Bill to pay for most or all of it.
This. I was going to say similar. If he goes enlisted first, and then becomes an officer, he'll be a much better officer. He'll get a lot more respect from the enlisted. Granted, they have to respect the rank, but that doesn't mean they have to respect the person. If he goes in having been "one of them", they'll be more apt to respect him as a person, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
 
9,358 posts, read 15,818,519 times
Reputation: 17156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yes, he wants to go front line for a year or two, I don't know if this is the best course of action. I would recommend he finish school, go Officer and then go fight, but is it difficult to transition from Enlisted to Officer?
If he wants to enlist for 2 or 3 years, fine. Some of the best officers I've ever seen were prior enlisted. When he gets out he needs to go to college and get a degree. While he is there he needs to do the last two years of ROTC (the beginning years will be waived because he is prior service). He will provide a wish list of what branch (officer specialty) he would like to be commissioned in. If the army can accommodate him, they will. If they can't, they will put him where they need him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Zot
 
Location: 3rd rock from a nearby star
468 posts, read 559,762 times
Reputation: 745
See if your son would care to spend time with some disabled vets. The vets may appreciate his help, and he may learn a bit about service that a recruiter may forget to mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2014, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Hard aground in the Sonoran Desert
4,554 posts, read 8,019,724 times
Reputation: 6287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Yes, he wants to go front line for a year or two, I don't know if this is the best course of action. I would recommend he finish school, go Officer and then go fight, but is it difficult to transition from Enlisted to Officer?
It very rarely works out like that so if his goal is to be an officer, tell him to go to college and participate in ROTC or get an appointment to one of the service academies. He can serve on the front lines as an officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top