Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 32,228 times

Advertisements

I am 21 and not currently in school, I work as a c.n.a and will be going to school this fall because I have a ged and saw that you have to get 15 college credits if you have a ged. So, I'm hoping on joining next summer after I get those credits. My dream goal would be to be a nurse in the Air Force. Do many people get college degrees while on active duty? Is it any harder to do that? And I'm not sure if I would be able to do the nursing program while on active duty? I was also, looking at the jobs and was interested in the aerospace medical service job. Does anybody have experience with this job? Also, how would you transition from a job like that to being a nurse?? Thank you for the advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
You're going to have a tough time getting into the Air Force right now. With the wars winding down and the services downsizing they don't take as many waiver type folks any more. One recruiter in my area (Air Force) has not taken any person with any kind of waiver (including GED holders) in the last three years. People are waiting up to 15 months to get into the Air Force. It may be different where you are, but still going to be difficult.

Most of the services have great Nurse programs, many will take you from enlisted to officer while paying you to complete your degree. They are very very competitive programs as you can imagine. While in the Air Force you typically do have time to complete your degree, many of us have done so. Again, just takes good timing support from your command and discipline.

Start researching each branch of the service and their Nursing programs. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck to you.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM

9 posts, read 32,228 times
I have talked to a recruiter in my area and was told that I shouldn't have a problem if I get the 15 credits. Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejess View Post
I have talked to a recruiter in my area and was told that I shouldn't have a problem if I get the 15 credits. Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!
Then you might be good to go! The Air Force is a good one for medical service. 4NO's are the medical service folks. You can work just about anywhere and your duties will be greatly varied. First thing you will need to do if you get that job is to knock out your CDC's (professional development courses) and then you can start on college courses. Usually your supervisor can be very helpful with this stuff and may know the local schools to attend and even programs that you can apply for.

Good luck. Being in the Air Force is very much like being in the Military!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:09 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
If you get 15 credits you do NOT need a waiver.

I've been active duty for 13 years, since I graduated high school, and I've never had an issue going to school, and I got 4 degrees. However, nursing school is harder because you usually have to be available during the "duty day" for classes, so it would be tough.

You should do an internet search for "Air Force NECP" and you can learn more about our nursing scholarship that we have for enlisted members.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
There is a big difference between taking on-line classes whenever you can find the time and doing clinical rotations so, yes, I see you having a big problem with this. If you want to be a nurse in the AF, get your BSN and then get commisioned. The AF may have some type of ROTC program in which they pay for part or all of your nursing school in exchange for an X number of years commitment.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There is a big difference between taking on-line classes whenever you can find the time and doing clinical rotations so, yes, I see you having a big problem with this. If you want to be a nurse in the AF, get your BSN and then get commisioned. The AF may have some type of ROTC program in which they pay for part or all of your nursing school in exchange for an X number of years commitment.
My daughter is interested in nursing also, she is only a freshman in HS, but her grades are very, very good and she will be taking college courses as a HS Sophmore. I looked at the AF ROTC page and like Joe said, they do offer four years of college paid then you give them four years of service.

Quote:
In exchange for having your college education paid for, cadets commit to four years of service in the U.S. Air Force. Also, if you’re considering grad school, once you enter the Air Force, you’ll be eligible for graduate degree tuition assistance.
U.S. Air Force ROTC Official Website

Curious if anyone on CD has done this and can tell us their experience.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
True. Clinical rotations will often be 12 hour shifts, and nursing classes will usually be during the day, so it could be very difficult to be in the military while going to nursing school. I work at a nursing school, and the only person who tried to do both at the same time had to quit school. However, we have many people who are getting their nursing degrees who used to be in the military.

For the OP, you may consider getting your nursing license (for that you only need an Associate's Degree) before you join the military. It will be a lot easier to get your BSN while in the military after you've already got your ASN and nursing license, because you can take online courses going from an ASN to BSN.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
The world around us is changing, and even current Active Duty Nurses are being cut in the Air Force. Does this mean that there are not opportunities, HECK NO! BUT you must understand that you are responsible for all your required upgrade an skill level training before you are allowed to take college credit classes on your free time while active duty. Not to discourage you, but the accession standards are becoming much tougher with the drawdown in all military services. Having said that, becoming a 4N0 and doing some enlisted time might help you decide if nursing is for you.

We have a daughter that, at the age of 28, with 3 young sons and a prior military, now Police Officer hubby will be graduating with her RN in Dec 2014. It has NOT been easy for them, but she set her goals, and ACHIEVED THEM! Could NOT be more proud of her!!!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
When I was in the Air Guard back in the 90's we both of our medics were in school finishing a BSN RN degree. Both went active duty and were commissioned after they completed their degrees.

The big thing is go in pick a tech school that will enhance your chances of completing your RN degree as a lot of the material from the tech school will correspond to a RN degree. Here are the career fields.

MEDICAL CAREER FIELD

Good luck.. When our unit was closing several of us looked at the aerospace medic field, but found other jobs in our sister unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues