Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:16 AM

9 posts, read 32,237 times

Advertisements

When I was 17 me and a friend were at a store and he slipped something into my bag without me noticing, he was trying to steal something, and we got caught. They didn't believe me even though my friend told them the truth about the situation. We didn't get arrested, but we did have to do community service and pay fines and get fingerprinted. It got expunged from our records, but now I'm worrying that it might get my disqualified for the air force? I haven't really thought about it until now, but now I'm freaking out. Since it was expunged, will I need to tell them about it? Even though by next year it will have been 5 years since then will it disqualify me??

thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,948 times
Always be honest and tell them exactly what happened. Full disclosure is best.
Even though your record has been expunged, the information is still available to the military.
Better to be up front, rather than keep the information to yourself.
If they allow you to sign a contract, and they find out the information later, (without you mentioning it), you may be discharged for fraud. Go to the Air Force military forums on the Military.com website and read the questions and answers on the forums there, and you will be more informed. There are Air Force recruiters and other military personnel there that can answer any additional questions you may have.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejess View Post
When I was 17 me and a friend were at a store and he slipped something into my bag without me noticing, he was trying to steal something, and we got caught. They didn't believe me even though my friend told them the truth about the situation. We didn't get arrested, but we did have to do community service and pay fines and get fingerprinted. It got expunged from our records, but now I'm worrying that it might get my disqualified for the air force? I haven't really thought about it until now, but now I'm freaking out. Since it was expunged, will I need to tell them about it? Even though by next year it will have been 5 years since then will it disqualify me??

thank you!!
pretty sure you will be dq from the Air Force, your buddy screwed you.. Dmarie who posts on here will tell you for sure she was and is a recruiter.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
The answer is yes, you have to tell them. I've had hundreds of applicants tell me their records were expunged and a simple trip to the police department always got me the records on the event that they said was expunged. I'm no lawyer but I think "expunged" just takes care of court records, it doesn't remove the initial arrest/police report which is the first thing they will look for when conducting your security clearance.

dmarie can tell you if this is disqualifying or not for the AF.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I doubt if it was expunged since expungements require you to file a petition with the court. The first thing you need to do is to contact the juvenile court in question and see what you need to do to find out what you were charges with and what your adjudication status is.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 26,083 times
Best course of action is to tell the truth. Remember, the Air Force core values start with Integrity First. Show you have the integrity by coming clean and upfront about it. Tell your recruiter and they'll see what they can do. Remember, you can lie and might even get through basic. But if your job requires a clearance, it will come out and out you'll go. If it requires a Top Secret, then it'll def come out. So be honest and tell the truth. Let them know what happened. And the service will make the determination.
Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM

9 posts, read 32,237 times
also, if anybody knows about tattoos? the rules are kinda confusing to me. I have one on my right chest that comes up just to my collarbone and another one on the inside of my left wrist. Will that be ok? I'm only worried about the second one, since its visible, but it's not more than 1/4 of the area.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
Tattoo on left wrist as well? The Army won't even take you with our recently changed standards.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:58 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
Tattoo on left wrist as well? The Army won't even take you with our recently changed standards.

Why do you say that? The new regs allow up to four tats below the knees and/or elbows

Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Contact Us: Frequently Asked Questions - airforce.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues