Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Few people in the military "get shot" and end up with all their various appendages still attached. That's because today's military rounds do not just come for a visit and make a little hole. They make a hole going in, true enough, but then they tumble around and chew things up. It gets pretty ugly.

I don't believe him. I'm a navy veteran and served 9 years active duty.

But this kind of thing is exactly why, when I realized my girlfriend and I were getting serious, I brought her all my records (we didn't share any friends, and I was from a different state) that proved what I was who I said I was. Looking back, it was kind of funny - I had dd214, performance appraisals, newspaper articles written about me - all kinds of stuff. Her daughters still didn't believe me!
They do now, though. 25 years later.

There are a lot of fake veterans out there. But, that's always been true.

Watch a few episodes of "Who the (BLEEP) Did I Marry?" You'll see.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
hmmm.... the OP had one post.... ever. Why? Maybe she was a he trying out a new lie to see if it would hold water.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My apologies for going a bit off subject, mods can delete if need be.

My dad served in WW2 in the Pacific......never talked about it other than a few bits and pieces which was like pulling teeth.

Fast forward.....only child and I have no living relatives on his side. Mom passed and his scrapbook from the Pacific which I stole glances from as a child was no where to be found. His sister left me two pictures after she passed. One he is wearing a Marine uniform with a 1940 date on the back, a second he is wearing a naval uniform and the date is 1942 and the back mentions Flight school in NC on the back.

I have sent several requests with as much info as I can to the National Personel Records Center and I keep getting no information found.

I would like to have a little family information to pass on to my daughters....any advice would be appreciated.

Hopefully I did not take OP's question to far off topic

The Genealogy forum never seems to have any military questions.
Try Ancestry.com. I found some neat documents on my uncle through that.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
... The war has been hard on marriages because of deployments and separations, but there are a lot of good men who have found themselves single courtesy of Uncle Sam's requirements for their service.
Long deployments were happening even decades before the Gulf War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Saw lots of Navy Seabees when I was in Kuwait.
A lot of sailors saw combat in the Gulf War.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinafromIndiana View Post
My boyfriend says he was in the Navy, did 3 tours in Iraq, was shot 3 times and was eventually sent to Leavenworth, Kansas to do 23 months, building coffins, in prison for assault on a Superior and, was released from Leavenworth in 1999 on a "Conditional Discharge" which means he gets some benefits, but not all benefits. Does any of this jive?
If you have to ask, no it doesn't.

God gave you instincts for a reason. Don't ignore them.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
hmmm.... the OP had one post.... ever. Why? Maybe she was a he trying out a new lie to see if it would hold water.
Yes, good observation. The OP's first-ever CD post is on 4/11. A post that suggests "she" is being taken advantage of. So people respond immediately to her question. Now it's five days later and no interaction whatsoever from the OP. What is this, college basketball where we have "one and dones"?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
What should concern you most is not the details of his past but
His lies
They never are solitary but travel in flocks

Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Ask to see his DD214. There is a section there for time served. Also note that corrections are not made to a DD214 once issued. If the DD214 is in error either a new one is issued or a DD215 correction is issued. If you see a typeover/whiteout be suspicious. Have never heard of or seen a conditional discharge(must be something new). Know from veterans that I encounter in my line of work, one recently that told me that when he was in Vietnam and was going to get discharged the military told him that he was required to go to Lexington, KY for treatment or they would give him a dishonorable discharge. He was addicted to heroin. It is an interesting story that i will not go into. DD214 unaltered is the gold standard. Where I work we have other ways to electronically check if no DD214 is present.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Generally, people are not sent to Ft. LVN when confined under 5 years. You can always ask to see his DD214.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post

The kicker though, is that nobody is sent to Leavenworth with a sentence under 10 years. The Navy in particular uses their own Correctional Facilities, particularly for those with sentences under 10 years. So this dude would have done his time in either Miramar, CA or Charleston, SC.

He's full of it.
Not that the guy isn't lying out his teeth but Hubby says officers with under 10 years have been sent there. The 10 years thing is generally true for enlisted though.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not that the guy isn't lying out his teeth but Hubby says officers with under 10 years have been sent there. The 10 years thing is generally true for enlisted though.
My DH was 31E and for under 5 years they would be sent to an RCF NOT the USDB; there is an RCF at FLV. One of our friends is the CSM of the 705th MP BN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues