Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend says he was in the Navy, did 3 tours in Iraq, was shot 3 times and was eventually sent to Leavenworth, Kansas to do 23 months, building coffins, in prison for assault on a Superior and, was released from Leavenworth in 1999 on a "Conditional Discharge" which means he gets some benefits, but not all benefits. Does any of this jive?

Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
you might want to post this on the military forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/military-life-issues/

Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Moved.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
OP

Copied below is the definition of Conditional Discharge from the internet -

A discharge is a type of sentence where no punishment is imposed. An absolute discharge is unconditional: the defendant is not punished, and the case is over. In some jurisdictions, an absolute discharge means there is no conviction despite finding that the defendant is guilty. A conditional discharge is a sentence passed by a court whereby the defendant is not punished, provided they comply with certain conditions. After these conditions are met, the discharge becomes absolute. If the conditions are not met, the defendant is re-sentenced.

So ask yourself this question "does what he told me meet the requirements of conditional discharge?" Then you will figure it out for yourself.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Generally, people are not sent to Ft. LVN when confined under 5 years. You can always ask to see his DD214.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
OP, have you seen evidence on his body of gunshot wounds? That would be one thing that you could actually check.

If you feel so doubtful about the military history he told you, then ask to see his documentation.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
So, he was shot three times while in Iraq? But he went to Leavenworth in 97? So that means he was in Gulf War I? So he enlisted in the Navy around 1989-1990 time frame? How old is he? Nobody who's been in the military says that they got a Conditional Discharge. It's either Honorable Dishonorable, Bad Conduct or General. He's full of crap, most likely.

How old is he? Where was he shot, both on his body and in what area of Iraq? What was his rate in the Navy? There are no "benefits" from being discharged unless you were retired or medically discharged. Did he make it his full 20?

Assault on a superior would not get someone sent to Leavenworth. A BCD would most likely be the case. And with that, you have no benefits. Not partial but nothing.

The kicker though, is that nobody is sent to Leavenworth with a sentence under 10 years. The Navy in particular uses their own Correctional Facilities, particularly for those with sentences under 10 years. So this dude would have done his time in either Miramar, CA or Charleston, SC.

He's full of it.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,254 times
People who talk the most about their combat experiences are generally those with the least experience. I'm guessing he also told you he was a Navy SEAL? I also don't know what Iraq he deployed to 3 times prior to 1999 as we didn't invade Iraq until 2003.

He's lying but let's pretend it's all true-- why would you want to date a convicted felon?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinafromIndiana View Post
My boyfriend says he was in the Navy, did 3 tours in Iraq, was shot 3 times and was eventually sent to Leavenworth, Kansas to do 23 months, building coffins, in prison for assault on a Superior and, was released from Leavenworth in 1999 on a "Conditional Discharge" which means he gets some benefits, but not all benefits. Does any of this jive?
The time-line sounds goofy. Navy tours are generally 3 years in duration. Desert Storm #1 was not that long.

3 purple hearts? It is difficult to find a list of purple heart awardees. WebCite query result
It does appear that 458 Americans were wounded during that conflict.

'Assault on a Superior' getting hard time? is very unusual. I did it once and I was sent to one counseling session. The Navy has it's own facilities for confinement.

You doubt his truthfulness. That should tell you plenty.

There should be obvious scars from these 'wounds'.

His DD-214; look at it, take it to your local VFW and ask them to read it [we at the VFW generally know how to read a DD-214].

If he was a screw-up in the Navy, do you really want a screw-up in your life?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:41 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
People who talk the most about their combat experiences are generally those with the least experience. I'm guessing he also told you he was a Navy SEAL? I also don't know what Iraq he deployed to 3 times prior to 1999 as we didn't invade Iraq until 2003.

He's lying but let's pretend it's all true-- why would you want to date a convicted felon?
They were there, but not long enough to do three deployments. Remember the Highway of Death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues